Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: chunk gun  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
I think you're making a good choice Ken with the 1" x 42" .45 GMB...

As for style,,, geez,,, chunk guns are so danged ugly I'd venture to say they are based on just about every style out there in 'yesterdays' world.

I do believe a favorite however is the fullstock with not much drop as it is much more friendly when it comes to recoil on the shoulder area, and you certainly don't want a sharp cresent buttplate.

The cant block built into the muzzle end of the full stock I feel is a favorite by many chunk gun shooters.  Were I to do a full stock and base it on a longrifle design, I like the Dickert with no more then a three in drop, and fatten up the wrist just a bit. :shake

Let me post a picture of my halfstock here in a few minutes.  Give you an idea what I'm using (but I'm not completely thrilled with it)...  I should have built fullstock...

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:29:14 PM »
Nice looking job. I like the dark finish and the grain texture you can see on the surface. I am surprised to see a single trigger?? Is it a single set trigger

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:03:10 AM »
Thanks Ken.  The photo's really don't do justice to the stock.  It's actually curly maple from the buttplate to the nose, stained with red walnut (water based - then coats of Tru-Oil).  It really stands out in the sunlight. :bl th up

The trigger is just a single trigger filed to engage the sear at an angle allowing for a very light trigger pull.  Done that the old-fashion way.  You can also see the silver solder lines on the trigger where I've cut and shaped it for just the right fit.  I just wish I had put a .45 caliber barrel in her instead of the .40...  I still might? :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska