Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Gin  (Read 1751 times)

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
In the very modest amount of research I've done, I've learned that "old tom" gin was served in a rather unusual way. Passersby on the street (passing a pub) would ring a bell or similar device at a pub/tavern. The bell would ring inside and the bartender would deliver a shot (or appropriate amount) through a tap from inside the bar to streetside. The spigot on the receiving end was often in the form of a tom cat (hence the name). The receiver would simply suck it out of the spigot streetside. Not terribly hygienic, but very efficient.

I'm a BIG fan of G&T (sapphire or tanqueray). After some modest research into genever (jenever), I might try it myself. There's a few juniper around where I live and being a fairly accomplished wine and beer-maker myself, I think I might just try my hand at making some genever!

Once I win the lottery and build my simgle-malt still, winery, meadery, brewery and buy enough land to grow my own barley, grapes, etc., I intend to buy enough land to propagate a bunch of arbor vitae, etc. for 'gin berries'.

Now...I guess I need to actually buy a lottery ticket!
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »
bump...
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
My research on the the 1st quarter of the 19th c. indicates that Brandy, Rum, and wine were the beverages of choice or what was available. I've never read anything that mentions Gin.

it swept through London an into the rest of England, wiping out the majority of commercial breweries that only serviced local markets.  It caught on in part due to the very quick turn around time from fermentation to distilling to drinking, and it was very cheap to produce.  It didn't really catch on in the Americas.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »
LD,

When was that??
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »
Also came across this tidbit in The Buckskinner's Cook Book by Hanson.

"The cocktail was invented about 1800 and by California Gold Rush Days it was a frontier favorite. It was originally concocted as a medicine. To make an authentic one, add one jigger or any king of hard liquor (usually whiskey or GIN (my caps)), 1 teaspoon of sugar, 2-3 dashes of angostura bitters, and water to taste. Add ice if available."

And note from below . . . the explosion in use of Gin in 1830's came from the new still developed in 1831 - ahhh . . . technology at its best!

"When we think of Gin we think of England and her former colonies. The actual origins of Gin can be traced to 17th century Holland. Dr. Franciscus de La Boie invented Gin in 1650. He was a medical professor at the University of Leyden and was more widely known as Dr. Sylvius. As was with many other spirits, Gin was originally intended to be used as a medicine. Dr. Sylvius was seeking an inexpensive, but effective diuretic to use in the treatment of kidney disorders. He mixed oil of Juniper berries with grain alcohol, both of which have diuretic properties. He called his new medical concoction "genever", from the French word for Juniper.

What made the recipe so revolutionary, was not the use of Juniper, it had been used before in dozens of liqueur formulas, but the choice of grain alcohol. Until Dr. Sylvius, most beverage alcohol had been made from grapes or other fruit. In other words, Brandies. While the Scotch and Irish were making Whiskies from grain, they tempered them with years of aging in wooded casks. Unaged grain spirits, at least those produced with 17th century technology, were considered too harsh for human consumption. But Genever tasted good and it was relatively inexpensive to produce.

At the same time, English soldiers, who were fighting on the continent, were introduced to what they termed, "Dutch Courage". They returned to England with a preference for this new drink, and the population at large soon grew fond of this palatable yet inexpensive spirit, so much so that it eventually became identified as the national drink of England. It was the English, of course, that shortened the name to "Gin".

Gin was also quite popular with the English foreign service in the "colonies". It mixed naturally with quinine (tonic water) which was used as a profilacsis to mulify the effects of Malaria. Even today it's easy to conjure up an image of the British Colonial officers sitting on a wide veranda sipping a Gin and Tonic while surveying his vast dominion.

The dry Gin that London distillers eventually developed is very different from the Holland or Geneva Gin still made by the Dutch, which is heavy-bodied and strongly flavored with a pronounced malty taste and aroma.

London dry Gin appeared soon after the continuous still was invented in 1831. This new still made a purer spirit possible, encouraging English distillers to try an unsweetened or dry style. Sugars had been used to mask the rough and unpleasant flavors that could show up in older pot still production. Originally, the phrase "London dry Gin" specified a geographic location; that the Gin was made in or near London. Now, the term is considered to be generic and is used to describe a style of Gin, (In fact, Beefeater is now the only Gin distilled in London.) and virtually every Gin on the market uses the term "dry".

Gin is the distillate of a grain mash with various flavoring agents.
It gets its primary flavor from Juniper berries, but many other herbs and spices go into the make-up. The botanicals come from all over the world:
- Cardamom from Sri Lanka,
- Cassia bark from Vietnam,
- Orange peel from Spain,
- Coriander seed from the Czech Republic,
- Angelica root from Germany.

Most of the Juniper berries themselves are imported from Italy. There are also dozens of other possible ingredients. Each distiller has his own secret formula and no two Gin brands are exactly alike.

The vast majority of this unaged spirit (federal regulations do not permit any age claims for gin, vodka and other neutral spirits) is either English dry Gin or American dry Gin. The English version uses 75% corn, 15% barley and 10% other grains for the mash. The fermentation process is similar to that of whiskey. Following fermentation the resulting liquid is distilled and rectified through a column still, producing a pure spirit of at least 90°. The liquid is then redistilled with the many flavoring agents. Methods vary from producer to producer. Some combine the botanicals with the spirit and distill the mixture, while others suspend the botanicals above the spirit in the still and let the vapors pass through the many flavoring agents. The spirit that comes off is reduced to bottling strength, anywhere from 80° to 97°.

American Gin is produced using one of two standard methods: distilling and compounding. Distilled Gin is primarily made by adding the flavoring agents during a continuous process. There are two fairly similar methods of achieving this; direct distillation or redistillation. In direct distillation the fermented grain mash is pumped into the still. Then it is heated and the spirit vapors pass
through a "gin head", a sort of percolator basket filled with Juniper, herbs and other natural ingredients. It picks up the delicate flavoring agents as it passes through and then condenses into a high proof Gin. Water is added to bring the product down to its bottling strength, usually 80°. The other method, redistillation, differs only in that the fermented mash is first distilled into a flavorless neutral spirit. Then it is placed in a second still, containing a "gin head", and is redistilled, with vapors absorbing the flavoring agents.

Compound Gin, a less costly product, is simply the combination of neutral spirits with the oil and extracts of the botanicals. However, the dominant flavor must be from Juniper berries."

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »
Interesting.  While camping in Northern Ontario once I picked up a bottle of something that did say Gin on it, but it was in an odd shaped green bottle and it may have originated in Quebec or may have been imported.  Anyway, it sure didn't taste like the gin I was expecting.  Maybe someone here is familiar with this product.  Bottom line it tasted terrible and I dumped it out when I got home.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821