Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Long Bow Q's  (Read 2926 times)

Offline The Baron

• TMA Forum Member
Long Bow Q's
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »
I've been doing some reading and looking on the 'net and in magazines.  I am leaning toward a longbow because I want to be very traditional in my selection, and also I just think they have more pleasing lines than a recurve, to my eye.

I have a question about longbow length and draw weight.

I'm 6'4" and my draw length will be about 30" with a 31" arrow (give or take) when anchored to the corner of my mouth.  Although I like a long bow, I don't want it TOO long, as I plan to shoot turkeys from a brush blind and the kneeling position.  Is there any rule of thumb or opinions on what bow length I should be looking for as a minimum, given my draw length?  I am a beginner, so that might be a consideration as I don't want to end up with a super challenging bow as my first.

For draw weight, I assume 50# is plenty for turkeys and deer?   I'm a pretty sturdy guy and could probably go much heavier if needed, but I don't want to handicap myself for shooting from awkward positions.  With the expectation of a 31" arrow, should I be thinking about a higher draw weight to move that heavy arrow?
You can't be a leader if you don't know where you are going.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »
The longer the bow, the smoother the draw and faster the cast if the material is the same.

For a 31" draw a longbow of 72" should be good and is still not too long to take to the woods.

Many folk like shorter bows for "brush", but that usually means glass backed re3curves.  The shorter bows may 'stack' quickly on a long draw.

If you want to go 50# or higher I suggest a good backing on the bow to improve cast and add durability to the bow.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:52:08 AM »
I get the impression that you have a concern about bow length because of your height. When shooting a traditional bow you don't need to hold the bow vertical, in fact it's best to cant the bow to get the arrow in line under your eye. For some shots the bow can even be held horizontal.  Here's a clip from a video I did years ago demonstrating the versatility of a longbow. The bow I was shooting was 70" long. The target was a steel bear target with a 6" circle cut out in the kill zone so if you missed the kill it was goodbye arrow.    

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:22:56 AM »
Ahhh man . . . a southpaw???  :P

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline The Baron

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:00:12 PM »
Thanks Fletcher!

Very helpful clip Longhunter... that definitely cleared a few things up in my head!

I have been doing some web searching at it seems for a 30" draw the recommended minimum longbow length is about 64".   From what I read, a longer bow is more forgiving, and if I go much shorter than 64" I might have a problem with finger pinch or stacking.    And for hunting, it sounds like any bow of 45# or greater will be quite sufficient for deer/turkeys.

So, I think now I am in the market for a 64"+ longbow with a draw of 45 - 50# at 28" (which I gather will make it about 50 - 55# at my 30" draw, give or take).  I'm perusing classifieds all over now.

I've learned so much in my reading the last 3 days!  It's kinda fun to be an information hungry newbie, shopping for a new hobby. :)

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »
I have been doing some web searching at it seems for a 30" draw the recommended minimum longbow length is about 64". From what I read, a longer bow is more forgiving, and if I go much shorter than 64" I might have a problem with finger pinch or stacking.

If you're thinking self bow (natural materials) then yes go for a longer bow to insure it doesn't break.  If you want laminated with fiberglass then you can shoot a longer bow or a short bow. You hear a lot of opinions about a longer bow being "more forgiving" and "more accurate"...I don't agree with that. I've shot both longer bows and shorter bows and I shoot one as well as the other. If you like the idea of a shorter bow, there are some short bow designs that are very stable of do not stack or give finger pinch.
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline The Baron

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
From my searching, it seems laminated bows are more readilly available (especially used) and I expect that is where I will end up as a starting point.

I have been reading about the Internature Viper longbow, and it sounds like a very good bow for the price.  I found a couple of reviews on the 'net and both were very positive for this bow being a good shooter and a great value, at about $200.  With a length of 68", I have decided it might just be a good starter bow for me.