Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Post 1800 Cooking Gear  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
Post 1800 Cooking Gear
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »
I've been wondering for some time about camp kettles and other cooking gear.  Not the kind that a person would carry while going solo but the kind used in camps of several people or in a military mess.  My point of reference is the British Army and I've found a bit of information that I'm hoping others will be able to expand and possibly use.

Regarding camp kettles, I've found some definitive information and a lot of holes.  During the Revolution, there are records of issuing sheet iron camp kettles that were carried by the men.  Which leads me to believe that the iron camp kettles used by the British Army during the Napoleonic period were cast.  I arrived at this from the Army General Orders requiring the issue of mules to each company that were designated "camp kettle mules" for the exclusive use of transporting the iron camp kettles.  There are also references to cooking meat on the lids.  There are also several paintings and sketches from the period that illustrate round bottom three leg cast camp kettles similar to these.

Finally when the Army was ordered to turn in their iron camp kettles for tin camp kettles an order was issued to have the iron kettles put into storage after being repaired and made ready for use and provided with cradles.  

The tin camp kettles bring up a whole set of new questions, what did they look like and how big were they.  References to cooking meat on camp kettle lids just throws more questions about design into the mix.  Some have suggested that they were like the HBC kettles sold at Crazy Crow like these which have a frying pan for a lid.

I have found a reference to the tin camp kettles being "Flanders Kettles"  I then found a photo on the WEB of what is described as a Flanders Kettle but lost the site address.

If this is a Flanders Kettle then the references to cooking meat on the lid makes sense after the replacement of the iron camp kettles.

The next question is how big were they?  I got that question answered when I found a copy of General Orders that stated camp kettles 7 pints in size were being used by messes of six men and that they were inadequate.  New kettles 12 pints in size were to be issued to messes of six men and if they were not available then additional 7 pint kettles were to be issued and the size each mess was to be reduced four men.

Anyone with more information chime in please.

I've also given some thought to frying pans.  I've read some discussion questioning the accuracy of the folding handle frying pan.  There are also several paintings and drawings that illustrate what look like simple steel frying pans with long flat handles and even some with attached legs.

Anyone have any additional information to share on this subject.

Inquiring minds want to know. :?  :?  :?
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
Some have suggested that they were like the HBC kettles sold at Crazy Crow like these which have a frying pan for a lid

Wow a really cool kettle, BUT I'd really like to see the documentation on that as it appears historically inspired as opposed to an authentic documentary piece.  I write this as I have checked the Museum of The Fur Trade site, and while the Hudson's Bay kettles are shown, none have the frying pan handle added.  

I like the Flander's kettle better.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline oomcurt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
Dang interesting topic. Glad it came up. I have been wondering the same thing..that is, as it applies to the "Mountain Man". Now, someone correct me if I am wrong...but it seems to me this thread could have many many branches. I mean, look at all the areas if one just took the "date" as post 1800. Maybe it might be best to break this down as to classification of interest, as it were. At any rate...Seems to me, from what I have read, the mountain man mainkly subsisted on a all meat diet. Did he have any need for any kettle or pan other than a simple what could be called a pail or bucket...if even that? Now, equate that with what is seen on most "rondy's"....all kinds of sheet metal "stoves", pans, etc. I dunno...but something seems awry.
TMA member #177
Interest: Rocky Mt'n Fur Trade
March 1 2008

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:39:33 PM »
Duh-oh!  GAD! I hadn't thought that the proper question first would be not what they used to cook, but  what did they eat!

OK so what did they eat in the fur trade era???

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline oomcurt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:49 AM »
Meat....as in elk, deer, beaver, antelope...etc. From what I have read...most if not all was roasted on some kind of spit...sharpened tree limb to just plunking it on the coals and then brushing it off when done. Sort of like what is called "cowboy steak". Granted, in a trading post or if they wintered with a tribe there might be a form of bread or maybe even beans..but don't forget resupplying was once a year.
TMA member #177
Interest: Rocky Mt'n Fur Trade
March 1 2008

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
don't remember the particulars, but I remember seeing on occasion references to boiling meat...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »
IIRC Osborne Russell referred to turkey breast as 'bread'.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »
I think they pretty much ate whatever they could get their hands on. Seem to recall reading someinstances of eating dead critters that were found when no game was in sight or in range. Primary seasoning was prayer not to get sick. It was called survival.

Per the original post - I think any answer to your camp ware question is going to be driven by the type of camp you have in mind and the personnel involved. Military expeditions with more robust supply train will have more of the pots and pans you are refering to whereas the 'logistics challenged' mountain man some of the others are refering to will have very limited gear dedicated to cooking in any fashion.

From the fur trader's perspective, I do know wthat nested pots were taken in country to swap for furs.

There are numerous examples of long handled frying pans (have seen sold as voyageur frying pans).

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
Although the bulk of their diet was meat (which they got so tired of they actually made sandwiches of venison using dry roasted turkey breast for bread on each side) there were other things taken along that required pots and/or pans to cook.

Ashley in 1825 took the following to sell the trappers:

Coffee
Sugar
Flour
Hams
Pepper

He also provided the following:
Pans
Tin Cups
Kettles
2 gal Copper Kettle
Small Kettles
Assorted Kettles

While many of the listings for kettles and pans would indicate they are for trade at least one man purchased one 2 gallon Copper Kettle which since he only bought one it can be assumed that it was for his personal use.  

The amount of coffee brought and sold to the trappers indicates that they had either individually or as groups kettles for boiling water to make coffee.  They also seemed to really like sugar in their coffee for almost every coffee purchase included a purchase of sugar.

In 1836, the following was made available for the trappers at that rendezvous:

Nesting Sheet Iron Kettles
Covered Tin Nesting Kettles
Tin Pans

and

Coffee
Boxes    Blk Pepper
Y. H. Tea
Bushels Dried Apples
Barrel    Peaches
Barrel Flour
Rice
Bags Coffee
Boxes    Rasins
Bro Hava Sugar
White Havana Sugar
Barrels of Water Crackers

In 37 the following was provided:

nests  sheet iron Kettles 1/2 g
nests of Tin Kettles
Sheet Iron kettles
Tin kettles
Tin cups
Assorted sizes Tin pans

Coffee                            
Brown Havanna Sugar
Black Pepper
boxes  Raisins
barrels of Dry'd Apples
barrels of Dry'd Peaches
Rice
barrels Super fine Flour
Boxes  Y. H.  Tea 6 lbs ea
Bacon
Meal
Pork
Skillet
Biscuits
Corn
Bacon
Corn Meal .25

While some of the kettles and pans etc. are obviously for further trade it is only logical that those who bought them to trade also kept one for personal use.

Also from the trade inventories there is an increase in sophistication and desire for a more varied diet as the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade progressed.  Very rudimentary live off the land in the beginning to more like an extension of home toward the end.  This is not to say that there were those out there that continued to live out of their pack saddle with no conveniences or that from time to time they lived with what they could only carry.  But when it came to wintering over or even at the brigade main came life got better every year.  Or so it would seem from the trade lists.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132