Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: CAMP GEAR ?????????  (Read 2117 times)

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home
  • TMA Member: 321
CAMP GEAR ?????????
« on: June 15, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »
I'm putting together my camp gear.I need plans to make a few chairs and I need some kind of stove.Help.
Idaho North TMA State Representative

http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
Miesel Hardwoods has plans for some chairs, tables, etc. They are on the net.
Stoves - don't have a clue.  I just went down to an Army Surplus place and bought a sheepherder's stove.  Seemed to be OK.  Pretty light duty.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
Lynn, wait on the chair and table to you get here Labor Day weekend, we have a trader that makes and seels them for a great price thats not worth your time to do them yourself, he'll be at the Labor day rondy.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »
What time frame and type of camp are you looking to set up?

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »
1840 MM

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
1840 - that gives you a lot more flexibility. Any specific type of camp?
- Lone wolf mountain man out to tame the wilderness by hisself?
- Greedy trader with avarice for a soul looking to maximize profit above all else?
- Fire and brimstone evangelist out to convert the God-forsaken heathens . . . and the Indians who traded with those same mountain men.

Biggest thing about what you'll have in camp is the purpose of the camp and the potential support for getting stuff there. Some trappers would have a horse or three to help carry stuff - like camp gear and all of his furs and pelts back to trade. Traders headed out to meet the trappers and indians who traded would have multiple horse or wagons to carry their goods and camp gear. If up in the northern woods of God's territory, then travel could be by canoe and you're back to being fairly restricted in what could be carried.

Hope this helps spark some imagination as to what you could do.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »
and all that depends on how PC you want or need to be, or if you just want a camp that fits in to most of the rondys out here in the west, id attend a bunch more and see what other folks have in camp before I went out and spent a wad on either already made stuff or materials to make things, to find out a year or so from now that half of what ya got doesnt cut it or isnt working into what you want, seen lots of folks gear up only to start selling stuff off a year or 2 later at a fraction of what they paid; to finance different gear for their camp! JMHO
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
I'll go along with what Beaverman says.  You can sit on a folded blanket for a rondy or two until you see what passes at the ones you want to go to.  Same with cooking gear.   Just don't for the love of G-d go with thrift store aluminum.  Had one blockhead argue that "Well, it's old ain't it?"  Hard to argue with that lack of logic.

Do your cooking in  el-cheapo BLACK  graniteware, that way when it comes time to upgrade, you're not out a lot, or just use it for blanket prizes and help someone else start out.  It also doesn't stand out and just look silly.  Give some consideration to other's sensibilities,  You wouldn't like it if you'd spent twenty years researching and obtaining a museum quality camp then have some maroon set up next door with coleman stoves, coleman lanterns, stainless steel pots and pans, and an  army surplus bivouac tent, and blue plastic tarps, would you?  Remember, dull earth tone colors and keep things simple.

A cheap light canvas tarp can be set up a dozen different P-C ways, make a lean-to or a diamond fly until you get an idea what you'd like and can live with.  In my dotage and decripitude, I actually need a cot, so I can get up again in the morning without a lot of pain, but when I first started out, in my mid forties, I slept on a Therm-a-Rest on top of an army surplus poncho, covered with a red trade blanket  all sheltered by a tarp lean-to.   Used that for a coon's age and was even complemented on my camp.  I cooked in two graniteware kettles, a gallon and a half gallon.  Drank out of a  plain redware mug, still do.  

Don't go spending a lot of money, you can gear up on the cheap, then upgrade as you learn.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
and don't waste your money on ANY color of granite ware..it's wrong and using it for blanket prizes and such just perpetuates the myth.....
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
When I talk stoves,Here in Nevada or Northern CA. open fires are a no no.I'm looking at a small sheeperder's stove to take care of open firers.I have cast iron skillet I could use but I'm going with Kettles.I have the tent cover my bedding will work.Thanks for the help

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:25:40 PM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
and don't waste your money on ANY color of granite ware..it's wrong and using it for blanket prizes and such just perpetuates the myth.....

Like I said Lynn, depends on just how PC you want to get carried away with! If your never ever going to go to an AMM thread counters rondy, or do any reinactments at some museum or fort somewhere,or do a demo at a rondy for the visitors; dont sweat the small stuff yet!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »
Quote from: "Short Arm"
When I talk stoves,Here in Nevada or Northern CA. open fires are a no no.I'm looking at a small sheeperder's stove to take care of open firers.I have cast iron skillet I could use but I'm going with Kettles.I have the tent cover my bedding will work.Thanks for the help

Lynn, look at a braizer and dont buy one from Crazy Crow, if your interested in a good brazier for a reasonable price, contact Jon in Mi, theres a smith in Michigan that makes one heck of a brazier at a great price and various sizes, made from an original.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »
I was invited to accompany a Colonial reenactment group that is Officially Batsh*t Crazy over 100%  Provable Hysterical Accuracy last Summer.  They in turn were invited to a not so nutsoid Mountain Man Rendezvous at the Holcomb Valley Boy Scout Reservation during the Scout's off season.  

This group requires at a minimum, three prime sources for everything and I mean EVERY blessed thing they have and use.   One of the things they use is charcoal fired braziers.   At that rondy no flames were allowed except propane, or white gasoline.   So the fellow who invited me adapted two charcoal braziers to use a 20 lb BBQ bottle or  16.4 oz. Coleman type disposables.  His design is very clever and makes a brazier Cal. and USFS compliant, is almost  instantly reversible and when in use with propane you nearly have to know it before you notice it.   I'll get in touch with him and ask for a few photos so you can see what he did.  Oh yeah, it's cheap too.  I do love cheap.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 12:33:05 AM »
Dang!  Doubled post.  Again.
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:01:20 AM »
Jim, The braizer is the unit I've been looking at.Two of the guys in the club have them but larger unit.But that is the perfect size for one person.Thanks