Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shooting clays with smoothbore  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
Shooting clays with smoothbore
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
Working with new trade gun using shot in preparation for Oct (Bob Lee VA State Offhand that we host) . . .

Would like to get smarter about shooting shot with smoothbore - have a great member at the club who is mentoring me thru it - super guy, hell of a shot too. (Best line so far: for bringing target in line remember as you swing the muzzle, it's 'butt-bird-beak-BOOM!" . . . you can't beat that . . .)

In shooting a couple of times, have noticed that shooting shot leaves a lot of fouling in barrel.

Are there any other tidbits or pearls of wisdom from other smoothbore sages out there to consider or be aware of?

. . . bad pun, but shooting this flinter is a 'blast' . . .

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »
Well Mike shooting clays or game with a smooth bore shotgun needs plenty of practice.
You must shoot according to weather conditions  shooting on a calm sunny day is totally different to shooting on a windy one.It is down to swing and timing and after plenty of practice  it is just comes naturally till you can  come off a sporting layout with a straight 25 kills.
Yes shooting shot from a smooth bore leaves the barrels like a sooty chimney but not to worry I think a smooth bore shoots better in this condition ,it is only when you have difficulty ramming the card wads down the barrel then it will need swabbing out

Feltwad
           --------------------------
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »
Feltwad,
What kind of presentations do you have in the UK on the 25 shot sporting layout for flintlock shooting?
James

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:51:07 AM »
James.
By presentations I think you mean the type of  wing or ground game that the clay represents.
Different shoots put on different types of clays ,a sporting layout is the same  for flint, percussion and breech loader,here where I live the most common are as follows.
Crossing Pigeon.
This is a bird that is thrown right to left at 30 to 40 yards or left to right, it is similar to skeet.
Bolting Rabbit.
This clay is  rolled along the ground  from the left or right at  a bolting rabbit speed, to make them more sporting they are shot as they pass between two blinds spaced out at 10 to 15 yards.
Springing Teal .
These birds are thrown vertically into the air from  12 yards from  the shooter some as singles and some as doubles.
Driven Grouse
These are an incoming bird that are  thrown  at a height of 15 to 20 yards high and very fast,they represent shooting grouse from a butt as the real thing on our grouse moors.
High Pheasant
This represents a driven high  pheasant this clay is also fast and high and travels at a height of 35 to 45 yards,if they travel with the wind they move faster and plenty of allowance is required.
There are plenty of other types of stands most are for 6 or 10 birds from each stand.
Hope this has been of some help
Feltwad
                  ----------------------
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door.

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:22:20 AM »
Over here our basic sporting courses are set up with 100 birds and usually 12-15 stations of varying presentations.
I think you guys throw more driven than we do but I have seen that changing. Most of our competition courses would not lend itself to unchoked guns.

I think Friendship has a sporting course for muzzleloaders but I have never shot it and dont know who does the target setting.

Minnesota Mike,
You are shooting "swing thru" method with the "butt, belly, beak" deal.
Here is a link to some articles that may help you. (lessons 1-5)
http://www.woolleyshooting.com/articles.html

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »
Capt.Jas

A 100 bird sporting course on the competition shoots are also shot in the UK but mostly in 4 lots of  25 birds,this also applies to DTL.or trap shooting.For trap or DTL the trap is set in a hole in the ground  the clay from where it reaches ground level to 10metres must only be 2 m above ground level its flight must be no more than 60m.The stands for  percussion guns of which there are five number are 8 m from where the clay reaches ground level,peg 3 is the center and 2 is 3m and 1 is 6m the same is for 4 and 5 for flintlock there are 3 stands at 5 m from where the clay reaches ground level peg 2 is center and 1 and 4 are 4m to the left and right of 2.
Feltwad
              -------------------------

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Trap shooting today as I have described with clays above represents the now illegal sport of live pigeon shooting from traps.These came in bore sizes from 4 to 12 enclosed is a stand of original pigeon guns from left to right 4,8,10,12,these guns can still be used today for trap shooting clays.

Feltwad[albumimg:9t25wa32]2780[/albumimg:9t25wa32]

-----------------------

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
Quote from: "Feltwad"
Trap shooting today as I have described with clays above represents the now illegal sport of live pigeon shooting from traps.
There's big money in live pigeon shoots over here.  :lol:

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:03:37 PM »
What loading methods seem to work best for everyone?

r/
MM
TMA number #269.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:08 PM »
From the muzzle...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
From the muzzle...

Sure you ain't from Iowa? . . . or Green Bay?

r/
MM
TMA number #269.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »
:lol  Sorry...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
:shock:

:lol  Sorry...

Me too . . . should never say anything 'Green Bay' about a Minnesotan . . . soooo ashamed . . .

r/
MM
TMA number #269.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 03:42:29 PM »
Well MM most muzzle loading shot gunners have their own preference.
I personally believe if you stick to a volume load you can not go wrong.my loading proceed er is as followers if a flinter plug the vent with a pricker for a percussion never remove the spent caps or lift the hammers from the previous shots.Next take the required charge of powder and pour it in the barrel take a 1/8 card wad and ram it onto the powder next take a volume charge of shot and pour it into the barrel and finish with a 1/16 overshot card wad.Some load powder ,card wad, felt wad ,card, shot, card wad,if you prefer this way always place a card on the felt wad ,if this is omitted then it will surly blow your patten.The reason for the pricker and not removing the spent caps is because when you ram home your card wad onto powder it blows the powder into the nipples,thus with the pricker in place and the hammers down reduces powder been blown out through the nipples and vent  and thus reduces a hang fire.
Enclosed are a volume loads I use for different gages,here in the UK we measure in drms,27.5grains to 1dram

10 gage  3.1/2 drms to 1.1/2 oz shot

11 gage  3.1/4 drms to  1.3/8oz shot

12 gage  3drms   to   1.1/4 oz shot

14 gage  2.3/4 drms   to 1.1/8 oz shot

16 gage   2.1/2 drms to   1oz shot

Feltwad
                      ------------------

Offline markinmi

• TMA Forum Member
keeping the soot down
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 02:34:14 PM »
I forgot where I read it,It was an 18th century primer for fowling(bird hunting)They said to spit down onto the shot,Now not wanting to kiss a muzzle I spit in my hand(not lung oysters) and scape it into the muzzle,then push the over card down. seems to work though.Pretty gross I know, and people think I'm a snob for not shaking hands :|