Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: In the white??  (Read 1810 times)

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
In the white??
« on: August 11, 2008, 06:39:44 AM »
Please define what "In the white" means for a kit gun.

Thanks
Brian
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:45:33 AM »
" in the white"
Most of the woodworking done, some finishing fitting needs done, but none of the metal is finished, bare naked, you will need to blue or brown or let plain, what ever your desire is.

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:54:04 AM »
Thanks Tim, I should have asked yesterday.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
Re: In the white??
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:23:14 AM »
Quote from: "melsdad"
Please define what "In the white" means for a kit gun.

Thanks
Brian
Brian
It also means different things to different suppliers so ask lots of questions before you buy
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:30:24 AM »
Thanks a bunch for the information fellas.  :)
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
yep what steve and the others have said , it varies.
  The guns that I  do  for folks in the white  are inlet  and shaped to the point all that’s needed is   the finish sanding and work on the stock .
 I do no work on the metals, with the acceptation of  the brass . If it’s a casting I take it down so  all that’s left is  to put on a good polish .

That being said , I have seen  so called in the white guns that folks have bough which amounted to  nothing more then a basic pre carve stock with the parts  fitted .
 Leaving all the rest for the customer to  do .

A couple years back I saw a  piece that was purchase from a pretty respected  and well known maker , here in the NW . the price was  only a couple hundred less then a full completed piece .
 The fella who owned it was showing his new in the white gun off to others at an event .
I was simply appalled. If it had been me , I would have sent the whole thing back .
 The stock  had simply been ruff shaped .  Rasping left  showing .
 Parts were  left  in casting   and inlet as such  .
While everything was drilled and the rifle assembled , that’s all I could really say  that was done .
 I just had to shake my head and walk away .

So  as others said ask the person your buying it from  what level  they consider in the white . Sometimes its easier to just by the parts and do it  from the start yourself

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »
Thanks Captchee, I plan on doing a scratch build in the future. I wanted to take this route first to try and get a little more familiar with building a rifle. I will be sure to ask lots of questions from the makers before purchasing the parts.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

Thomas Jefferson

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »
Brian, you have the skills and the patience to do a scratch build, GO FOR IT! jump in with both feet and bite off a big chunk, plenty of us here to help you along, have the barrel channel and RR groove and hole done by whomever you buy it from and do the rest yourself, besides half the fun of doing the build is all the inletting of parts!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Jim. I may just do that. I am a little nervous about a scratch build, but I know with the help of the knowledgeable guys here I can pull it off.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

Thomas Jefferson

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 12:44:15 PM »
Just dont buy a $200 + piece of wood on your first, get ahold of pecatonica and ask Dick for one of the seconds or blemished stocks, Ive seen several of these and their fine when finished, then asl lots of questions as you progress through the project
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »
Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
Just dont buy a $200 + piece of wood on your first,...........................................
What you mean Beaverman I bought a second that was almost 200 for my scratch build. Makes you very, very careful of where and how you cut on it  :toast
I know you can do it.
One mistake I made was not getting the lock angle exactly right with the barrel. And I had to drill my own ramrod hole  :Doh! very nerve wracking
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
Dick has some blanks there that are less than $100.00, not much figure in the wood but enough to make it interesting.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
Getting the inletting on an 'in the white' kit was the biggest benefit for me on what I've done.

Very easy to screw it up and then what do you do? So agree with your sense of caution.

Agree that we have a lot of helpful folks around here with extremely useful information - but holding up a piece of wood to computer screen to ask questions just doesn't seem to work very well . . . On the other hand if you live nearby one of these gents - buy a really nice dinner and go visit for a while.

If you were to try working a blank down to size and then do the inletting, I'd suggest getting a DVD/Video or go to a show and actually see how someone does it first. Watching someone actually using the tools and seeing how the woods reacts and the pieces coming off is a major eye opener.

Having said that - BEAV - who has these blanks that are cheap? I'm still considering how to do a bucket kid's rifle without putting a lot out of pocket and working from a second for the stock may fit the bill (bad pun - sorry).

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
Mike, Pecatonica Longrifles , give Dick greensides a call and tell him what your needing, ask about their seconds stock blanks, take a look at their web site also, I think Jason ans Jbullard have both used their second stocks on their last builds that where posted here.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »
i have gotten full stocks with 80 % figure and of hard wood from dic at pecatoncia for less the 70 bucks and that with barrel channel cut and RR drilled  as well as pre shaped . you just have to ask  and accept  worm holes mineral stain and some feather cracks in the butt. of which gets cut off anyway for a standard pull .
 the point is you have to ask . they dont advertize it .
 also dont ask for seconds , he doesnt sell seconds  but he does have stocks with blemishes  that he sells at a discount