Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Camp box  (Read 3768 times)

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
Camp box
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »
I have found a rondy I'm going to attend in October I dont have much in the way of camp gear and would like to build a storage box for my tent and a few things. I have about 30 sg ft of premium tongue and groove red oak flooring, will this do to build something like a foot locker? any pictures of boxes greatly appreciated
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »
You sure you want a box for your tent and all your other stuff? That's getting into a lot of weight to lug around. Plus being a good size box.

Unless you have some specific consideration for wanting one big box, maybe you should think about a couple smaller boxes for a bit more flexibility and easier carrying.

If you intend to have people sit on the box, make sure there is at least one cross piece and support 'beam' on the inside unless box is fairly short.

We've got two camp boxes - a short one that has tent tools, repair items inside that we take for either the hunter or big wall tent. And a big box that we can pile all manner of gear inside of for longer rendezvous. It also dooubles as extra table top since it sits pretty tall. But it weighs a ton - so we rigged groove underneath for temporary axle to stick a set of wheels on it and that works well for lugging to/fro camp and van.

A note to remember about handles - if you're putting in rope handles, make sure the loop is big enough for getting your hand all the way around the rope. The small box we have came with one side cut way too small - kept scraping back of hand until put longer rope in there.

Last bit of advice - if the box is going to sit outside of the tent, then make sure you put a couple of runners underneath it to get it up off the ground a bit. Keep the bottom out of the rain or moisture to help prevent the wood from rotting.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »
Jerry, if I remember correctly, RichW has a bit of experience with camp boxes. He should be along any time now and I bet he has some ideas too.

Like MM mentioned, I went totally overboard with my "camp boxes" a few years back and once packed, they were simply too heavy to be practical.

I like a box that is large enough, heavy enough, and stout enough to sit or stand on, yet light enough to be moved around without  getting a hernia.
And, simple as that may seem, it can be hard to do if you don't select your wood and design properly.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline woodman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:46:16 PM »
Look in the Voyeger Sketchbook by Hanson and use either the Cassette or the sketch of the Hudson bay ration box.
  There both sized so they hold a lot but not so big that ya can't pick them up.
   Woodman
Colorado TMA State Representative
Founding Member Uncompahgre Freetrappers
 associate member War Eagles
Happy Canyon Rendezvous Booshway
Tma Member #413 exp 1/21/11

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
:oops: Dont got no books

I just started calculating the amount of wood I have and my box can only be about 16x16x24 unless I use plywood for the bottom

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »
Panther Primitives is whom I bought our small box from. You can hit their site and maybe get an idea from the photo.

They also sell plans for boxes, trunks.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »
Jerry, I go tsom ebox plans on my at-home computer........I'll help ya out when I get back to it.....

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »
:cry: experience has taught me that several small boxes designed for specific items are much better than one big box.   :lol:   You may even want to consider making a cover and tying your canvas into a bale with the cover painted with NWC or HBC shipping marks.  You might also want to consider using wicker baskets either round or rectangular in lieu of or in addition to boxes.

Just some thoughts you might be able to use.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline RichW

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Jerry, if I remember correctly, RichW has a bit of experience with camp boxes. He should be along any time now and I bet he has some ideas too.

Did I hear my name?   :shock:

Here are the boxes I use.

[albumimg:1vd867dt]1988[/albumimg:1vd867dt]

This is how you build them.

[albumimg:1vd867dt]1989[/albumimg:1vd867dt]

The cassette is from Voyageur's Sketchbook, an original in the Autry National Center, and the article on cassettes in the MOFTQ.

The provision box is taken from the Hopkins painting "Voyageurs at Dawn."

Here is an original from the HBC Archives.

[albumimg:1vd867dt]2603[/albumimg:1vd867dt] (CLICK)

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 10:41:05 PM »
Thanks a lot Rich
I have started my box and it more looks like a shipping crate than anything else. It is apprx. 24"w x 14" h x 16" d. I planed all the wood to 1/2" to save on the weight.
 I am thinking of using leather for the hinge how would it be attached
and what would be proper for a latch

Offline RichW

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »
Many packing cases had 3/4" ends, and 1/2" or 3/8" sides.

Use carpet tacks for the leather.

Most packing cases I have seen had 2 reinforcing strips on the lid, either inside or outside.  With leather hinges, the lid flops around a bit, so I would place the reinforcements inside, so they rest snug against the side boards.

Most post-WWII cases have reinforced ends in a [] pattern of 2" - 3' strips.  This is not correct for earlier boxes.

You can also make a leather hasp that "buttons" over  a square nail.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 11:16:40 AM »
Rich
Do you have any clear pictures of shipping company markings that may show up in the south. I can get a reverse decal cut and stencil the markings onto the box
and thanks for the leather hasp idea. I've got a few small pieces of thick leather that should work good for hinges and hasps
Here is what it looks like Rude and Crude

Offline RichW

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 01:01:20 PM »
Most common would be the number, like 14/21.  That would be crate number 14 of a total of 21.  Then the person, city, ship name, etc.

It might say what was in it.  

But I would say, it was a home-made box, since it is obviously flooring scraps.  As though somebody needed a box to move gear, and had a lot of extra flooring.  I have seen a table with the top done this way.  The top was original to the piece.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:41 PM »
Here is what it looks like Rude and Crude

To these old eyes it also looks Sturdy, and Stout as an Ox!....that box will be around after all of us are long gone!!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RichW

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
It should last a looooong time.  As long as heavyweights like me don't use it like furniture or to make speeches from.   :lol:

Looking at it again, I remembered that English fancy veneered casework (furniture) was made from glued up oak, for stability.

One mark I did find was a 'R' inside a horizontal diamond.  It was a crate for shipping tools, c. 1810.

Like this, with a 'R' inside