Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: bedding  (Read 1541 times)

Offline RDavidP

• TMA Forum Member
bedding
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
I am looking for some bed suggestions for camping.  I have been using a blow up matters covered in blankets, but I am starting to have trouble sleeping on them.  Let's just say, if famine hit, I would beat it, survive, and come out healthier in the end.  I am built like a bear before a long winter hibernation.  My problem with aerobeds and the like is I can only sleep on my back, and can't roll over to my side.  I sleep best on my side.   What do you others do for something to sleep on?
TMA Member #292

Expires 05/2012

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
When my wife goes to an event with me , like a voooo then yes , we take a mattress .
 Its one of those big double ones  and cover it in quilts and hides . Just like sleeping at home .
 Now if it’s a lose type event and  she isn’t with me then I take the  padding off of our lawn recliner and hide it under my elk robs .
 For trekking I make a bed of pine bows  and lay one blanket over them . In areas that are thickly timbered with lots of needles , I just make a bed of pine needles

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »
Didn't put nuff dirt down...saw it right off

Back in the day I could sleep right on the ground with just a ground cloth and a blanket. The old bones won't stand for that no more. I've got a 4" piece of foam that I cover with a canvas, and that gets me by. It ain't like my Simmons pillow top that I have at home  :rotf

I'll be utilizing my new Buffalo robe this fall. In fact we're gonna be setin up our primitive camp for the local Frontier Days celebration in just a few weeks so maybe I'd better start sleepin out in the yard to get in shape for it.  :laffing
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »
I've had pretty good luck with a Therm-a-Rest camping mattress, it self inflates an inch or two. It's still sleeping on the ground, like Longhunter said, no pain, no gain, no fun. :-)
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »
I have a pailliasse I sewed up from mattress ticking that fits over my Thermarest which I use instead of straw or grass to fill it.  When its buttoned up no one can tell it isn't filled with straw except that it isnt' lumpy.  I use it on my canvas folding camp bed and on the ground if I don't use the bed.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »
These old bones don't like the ground no more either!  I use a blow up matress, or an army cot when nobody is lookin'
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »
I've used thermarest pads for years and never got a real good night's sleep. Last year I bought a Big Agnes Insulated pad and absolutely love it. I to am in no danger if starving any time soon and sleep best on my side. Everyone like me to sleep on my side too... it's quieter!  :lol:  

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=3

I have 2 of these... one for my small backpack bag and one I use for regular camping. Last month I spent a week at Boy Scout summer camp on that pad and using my ground cloth and blankets. They pack down very small and fill off a stuff sack bag you have to buy separately. I'll never go back to a self-inflater.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:09 AM »
Use a cot with foam pad. Throw a blanker over top to keep pad from moving since I twist and roll a lot at night. Cover on top depends on temp that night.

Found that cot is good choice in pyramid tent since you can slide stuff underneath and double task the area foot print for gear storage as well as sleeping. Just make sure the stuff you slide underneath is low enough to account for sag in cot when you lay down . . . otherwise you get box poking you in the side all night . . .

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 01:50:50 PM »
I have found that the operational maximum for an inflatable mattress is 250 lbs.   Which explains why my 255 lbs of me ends up on the flat ground every time I use one, although if I examine the mattress with either the soapy water (lookin for bubbles) or in the pool (again lookin for bubbles) method I never find a leak.

So, I bought 13' of 45" wide pillow ticking, folded it in half, timmed off 10" lengthwise, and sewed up both long seams.  I now have a long pillow-ticking bag 6' 6" x 35", that I fill with a half bale of straw and tie closed with a leather thong.  It compresses down to about a 2" pad, insulates very well, is authentic, and when empty it rolls into a nice, neat bundle, so takes up very little room in the car or on my back if I hike into a site.  (Course the site has to have straw avaiable).

You also end up with a 13' x 10" strip of ticking for patching round ball, etc.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline RDavidP

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
I have found that the operational maximum for an inflatable mattress is 250 lbs.   Which explains why my 255 lbs of me ends up on the flat ground every time I use one, although if I examine the mattress with either the soapy water (lookin for bubbles) or in the pool (again lookin for bubbles) method I never find a leak.

LD

Try an inflatable mattress at 330lbs, although the Aerobed queen is rated for 650lbs.   :rofl

In all seriousness, I do realize there really is only one real solution and that is to lose weight.  I am getting close to my goal weight and fitness level that I want to be before my next camping trip in a couple of weeks or so, but it still won't be enough to solve the problem.  I have a long ways to go before the problem is completely solved.  I am working on getting into a much better physical condition before my late fall hunts.  I personally would feel mighty stupid having a heart attack while dragging a dead deer out.
TMA Member #292

Expires 05/2012

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
Well I agree that most air pads won't work for 300  but the Big Agnes sure does. I'm right at 330 and it works for me. I used to hit bottom with the self inflaters but not with the BA pad. About the only down side I have with them is price. Don't like to have to pay $70  for a pad.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80