Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Long Horn  (Read 1341 times)

Spotted Bull

Long Horn
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »
Any ideas on this monster thang......thought about just putting the fill hole and the dispensing hole both on the big end, and maybe cut a little off the point and make a powder measure.  Then I thought about maybe cutting a little bigger piece off the point and making a priming horn out of that and go ahead and drill out the big piece for a normal horn.

There is about 10 1/2" of hollow in the horn.

Offline mike rumping

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:24:32 AM »
make you a horn drinkin glass, a rum horn and a powder horn, least 14" out'a that one LOL
http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
TMA #226
Expires: 2/14/11
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio,
rising from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any
other of the stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:17:41 AM »
That would probably make a good horn for blowing, I bet it would be loud.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »
POWDER HORN :rotf

Regards,
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »
any advice on how to NOT screw it up would help as well..........

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »
Don't screw up.

:Doh!
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »
If its to big for a powder horn Roaring Bull, check out Wilawane's spoon in his picture "Making Fire" in the camp goods section. Pretty cool!
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:08:38 AM »
Well, the tip appears to be fairly straight, which is good. Take an old piece of wire and stick it inside the horn and hold your thumb on the spot at the rim of the horn, bring it out and lay it on the outside of the horn so you know where the cavity ends. and mark it. Add about 1- 1 1/2 " and cut it off. I hold the horn so that I am looking straight down on the cut tip and line the drill so that I will drill into the center of the cavity. All I can say at this point is, Good luck. If the horn tip has too much curve to drill, then you will have to consider burning it out.......man does that stink and it will take another page for a tutorial. Is this the info you where looking for? if not let me know and I will try and help.

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:36:19 AM »
yessir that helps.  Is there a good tutorial about burning one out?  I was wanting to keep it as long as possible.  But, would that create a problem when using it, for the powder to travel that far?  Would there be a problem with the powder stopping up the hole, as this is north Texas and pretty humid?  

Sorry for all the questions.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:50:06 AM »
Bull, If you decide to burn it the powder may not flow very well since the hole will be charred and it will have a bad curve to it.
What you will need is a piece of 3/16" metal rod. Be very careful to bend the rod to the exact shape of the horn and remember the direction you had bent it too. It should be to the same curve as the long or outside of the horn. After you have the rod bent to the exact shape of the horn and allow for the curve to bend in because the cavity will end up in the center of the horn not the outside edge. Then sharpen the end to a point and get your propane torch out.

At the tip where you cut it off, drill a 1/4" hole about 1 inch deep, STRAIGHT in toward the cavity center.

Heat the pointed end of the rod, cherry red and quickly stick it into the large end of the horn and force it into the tip and push it into the curve so you will end up burning toward the tip that you drilled.

Oh yeah, one VERY important thing, do this outside :shock: BIG stink and lots of smoke.

You will probably only go about 1/4 inch with each burning, push till it cools and stops and bring it out, reheat and do it again, and again, and again. if you are force it into the curve, eventually, you should end up in the hole you drilled.

This procedure is really open to mistakes and burn outs. I have burnt several with good luck, but it does have the potential of a burn through and you will NEVER get rid of that smell.

Good luck and I hope this helps ya' out. Post pictures of your burning and the end product if ya' can. Good luck.

My writing sometimes does not make sense, so if you need a better explaination on anything just ask.

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »
Sounds kinda like I should just try something else......Maybe cut it short like you said and hollow out the cut-off part and make a priming horn to match.  I'll post some pics if I can find the time to get it done.

Again, thanks very much......

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »
OK, I cut the thang into three pieces an hollowed the tip end out to throw about 50 grains of table salt (cheaper than powder).  So I have this large center section that I think is going to be a priming horn or something......the big piece I am gonna try and burn my way through as I don't think I can drill it with the angle still there.  

So, here's my question......what is the best way to carve designs like I see all these great horns carved with?  Do you use files, knives?

Also, what polishes them the best?  got these fine sand paper lines in the pieces.

Thanks again.