Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Turtle shell Question?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline CowboyCS

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/
Turtle shell Question?
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
My sons catch turtles sometimes when they are down fishing close to our property, I only let them bring them home when they are basketball size or bigger because they are a lot of work to get the meat out of. Good eating by the way....mmmmmm.
Usually what they catch are soft shells so I just throw the shell away, but yesterday my oldest brought home a Hardshell:

My question is does anybody have any craft Ideas for using the shell, like making a bag or something out of it. It's about 12 inches long and maybe 8 or so inches wide and maybe 3 inches deep at the center. I'll know for sure when I part him from his shell.
So help me out and give me some ideas about what to make out of it and try to include a website with pictures or instructions if you can.
Google didn't help me much.

Thanks in advance.
C
The Bill Of Right - Void were prohibited by law.
Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?

Offline Bioprof

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
I've seen some turkey calls made out of turtle shells.   There is a forum with a thread that discusses them.   You might be able to get some ideas from it, but you may have to register for the forum.   http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb ... turtle_brd

Offline CowboyCS

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:40:59 PM »
Thanks for the link, that's a pretty neat idea, I'm not a bird hunter never has been my thing, but those are some pretty cool turkey calls. I'd have never thought of using it for that. I'll have to keep that in mind.
I'm still looking for ideas, anyone is welcome to chime in.

Thanks

C
Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?

Offline CowboyCS

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »
I was just thinking I should probably add the Kansas regulation, cause I know some state don't let you catch any turtles.

KDWP Regs say:
TURTLES

Common snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles may be taken year-round. Daily creel limit is eight, single species or in combination. Possession limit is three creel limits. A valid fishing license is required (unless exempt). Legal equipment: hand, hook and line, setline, hand dip net, seine, turtle trap, or gig.

Just so you don't think I'm doing anything "Fishy". :lol:

C

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:44:04 AM »
I've seen some folks walking around various rondies with "belt bags" made of turtle shell, but I've never looked at them closely, or, asked the particulars regarding how to make them.

I've also seen "rattles" made from smaller turtles.

Sorry. I'm not much help.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline trent/OH

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
That turtle shell would make a very nice pouch once you get the moss and barnacles off of it (and get the turtle to vacate his premises). The one or two I've made were pretty basic once you just have the shell to work with. The shell, a piece of leather, and the strap material are all you really need. Cut the leather to shape and size to cover the perimeter of the shell, plus some overlap for the flap on the top, punch or drill corresponding holes , and lace the leather and the shell together. However many lacings you think you need, you'll actually want about twice as many.I don't remember how I put the strap on, and the last one I made is two states away. You may want some doo-dad on the end of the flap, just to give it a bit of weight to help keep it closed. Be real careful so you don't leave sharp pieces of bone on the inside of the shell which would cut you when you hastily put a hand in or out of the pouch. You do NOT want an infection from a turtle shell.
I used to take a slaughtered turtle or two to Friendship to give to the guys and gals at the pistol line, in appreciation for making me feel welcome at Friendship. Nobody ever said "No thanks" to free turtle meat!
Oh yeah, the feet make great back scratchers when mounted on a stick or dowel rod. I've yet to figure out anything crafty to do with the plastron.

Offline CowboyCS

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The bag idea was what I was interested in, Trent thanks for the description of how it's done, I think I might be able to manage that, if that's all there is to it. I thought there might me some kind of lining and fancy way of attaching the leather and strap. But that sounds simple enough.

The back scratcher idea is pretty good too.

C

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
i have mad a couple shell  ball bags , they work real nice

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:43:42 PM »
Now you have sparked my interest. I have never seen a bag made from a turtle shell. Be sure to post some pic's when you get one made.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline CowboyCS

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »
Will do. He's currently on deathwatch tonight, for tomorrow he gets beheaded.

C

Offline jasontn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
i have seen several turtle bags and liked most all of them. one had a hinged top made from the turtles own front end. just be sure and check the game laws, for your area and any you want to travel in as well. heard a few horror stories about folks gettin nailed over feathers, shells and bones and stuff over the years.

Offline m_bobey

• TMA Forum Member
re: turtle shell
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »
Hi Cowboy CS! I have a possibles bag made out of a turtle shell. It has buckskin sewn over the back long enough to make a flap over the front, beadwork, fringe, a braded straps and fringe on the bottom, looks good with my full lenght coyote hat. It looks like they just drilled holes in the shell, and sewed the buckskin to it.The shell is about 8.5 inches by 10.5inches. I'll see if i have a picture to post of it.
Mike Bobey   TMA member 392 12/02/09 NRA NMLRA SASS Salem Hunting Club member COHT member

Offline CowboyCS

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 04:05:59 AM »
Thank you I'd appreciate the pictures.
Next question, I have the shell cleaned out as good as I can get, how do I get the meat out from under the back bone area, the space between the bone and the shell down the center?
Can I boil it without damaging the shell?
Once I have it all cleaned up should I line the inside before stitching the leather to it, and if so how do I do that glue wool in or what?

C

Offline m_bobey

• TMA Forum Member
Re: turtle shell
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »
Hi Cowboy CS I think you just boil the shell to get the meat out, i bought my shell bag already made into a possibles bag. Heres a picture of my shell bag.
Mike Bobey   TMA member 392 12/02/09 NRA NMLRA SASS Salem Hunting Club member COHT member

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 06:54:44 PM »
The wife just walked by and said "I need one of those."

So I guess I'm going turtle hunting.......