Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shooting the Fusil. Finally.  (Read 1249 times)

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
Shooting the Fusil. Finally.
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:38:04 AM »
Last winter, I traded this and that for a used Centermark Fusil. It is a pretty plain jane model, .62 cal with a 36" barrel. Not quite a fowler, not quite a canoe gun. Anyway, I have been gathering the accouterments and finally got to shoot 'er the past weekend. I was very happy with the results. I used a .600 rb and some pillow ticking patch. It was a bugger to start! Should things be that tight?
I'll be looking for some .595 rb to do more testing.  The load I used was 70gr FFFg.  Aiming off hand at a knot on a tree at 25 yards, I hit just about an inch right at 3:00.  That looks like minute-of-deer to me.  

I do have a couple of questions.  Do ya'all use a short starter on these smoothbores? Is 70 gr FFFg an ok deer load?
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:25 PM »
70 gr will do fine at the range one can effectively use a smoothbore. I used to use .600 bals with a thin cotton patch, no patch and exchnaging the ball  for the shot in a shot column works well also, younwill probably find a .575 ball with a thick patch works well also,thses guns are very forgiving with load combos and still be deer worthy out to 40-50 yds, I have used .535,.550, .562 and .570 in my .58 with good results with a variety of patches, wadding, bareball with overshot card, try them all and see what you like the best.

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »
Thanks fellas.  I am pretty geeked about hunting with the fusil this year. I am headed to the range next week to do some serious shooting with the RB that I have and various patching and powder combos. Wyosmith, I agree on the pass through concept. Two great big holes to let the air in and the blood out is perfect!
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »
As 'tg' offered, I too use a thin patch in my flint smoothie.

I use a homespun ($2/yard @ Wally-World ) cotten patch, lubed with Track's Mink Oil, under a 0.600" cast roundball from Eddie May, over 70grs of FFFg and I'm am thrilled with the accuracy and performance.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »
Here is something else you might want to try. Get some shot cushion wads and split them then punch a hole in them and use them as over the powder wads followed by your patched round ball. It might increase your accuracy. I have one gun that it works really well in and another one and it does not make any difference at all.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:33:08 PM »
Quote from: "chuckpa"
Here is something else you might want to try. Get some shot cushion wads and split them then punch a hole in them and use them as over the powder wads followed by your patched round ball. It might increase your accuracy. I have one gun that it works really well in and another one and it does not make any difference at all.
Lubed or not lubed?  I hear the pre-lubed ones are supposed to be really good for shotgun loads and have a great lube, but only on the OD of the cushion.  Would appreciate some more details, cheers!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:45:49 AM »
I have been using Ox Yoke pre lubed cushion wads on all my sporting rifles for years and wouldn't load them without, especially when shooting heavier loads.
I guess Chuck/PA is punching a hole in them to act as an air bleed?  Might or might not be necessary.  I have never had a problem with air build up as long as the hammer was on half cock and no spent cap was on the nipple.  With a flinter, that would not really seem to be an issue.
I find the cushion wads wipe the bore when loading, create a better seal when the rifle goes off, keeps the patch from burning up, and lastly increases somewhat the velocity, sometimes up to 50 fps, if I recall correctly.  Been a while since I chronographed the guns.
Also, I don't cut them in half, I load the entire wad.  It doesn't seem to want to tip that way.  And I load the PRB and the wad as a unit.  Maybe that is why Chuck wants to punch a hole, to allow compressed air to escape through the wad when pushing the PRB down the bore.
As always, YMMV
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »
probably what you will find if you mic the bore is that its not .620
 my Tulle is that way . its actually a .613  which make patching rather fun with a .600 ball  unless the patch is thin .
 through the years i have gotten to the point , i dont use a patch at all , NONE , nodda , zip  when it comes to my tulle.
 the accuracy even improved  over the thinner patches I used .
 What I do is load a soft wad  lubed with soft bee’s wax  over the powder “ powder being 80 grains of 3F Goex“. I then drop the ball down the bore and hold it in place with an over the shot card .
 My tulle will clover leaf at 15 yards with that load .
At 50 she is holding about a 6 inch pattern. Well when I do my part  and line things up right LOL . I have found that with the elk I have taken with my 62 ,At 35-40 years that ball goes all the way through  and keeps right on trucking

Your 70 grain load is more then enough  for the ranges you should be taking shots at .

Now penetration ??  There are a lot of different thoughts on that .
Some folks want complete pass through . Others don’t .
 With complete pass through you get the benefit of two wounds  and a better blood trail .
 But at the same time  less penetration means that  all the energy is  expelled within the animal . Thus a somewhat larger primary wound channel . .
 My take is that a perfect situation would be where one  gets only enough complete pass through for the ball just to drop out the off side of the target . Thus giving  a better blood trail and expelling all the projectile energy within the animal .

Personally myself  , the only thing I worry about is shot placement  and if my load has enough juice to at least get through the hart and lungs .
 If  the projectile gets all the way through , great , so much the better . If it only goes through and sticks under the skin on the off side NP  either . The deed is  still done.

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »
I soak the dry wads in a mix of half beeswax and half olive oil or bear oil, then cut them in half they cut better when lubed.