Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

8/32 or 10/32 threads

(1/3) > >>

oomcurt:
Kind of curious....strength wise...does one have an advantage over the other....assuming the theads are in good shape and the attachments fit snug against the rod? Why I am asking is...I'm thinking of modifying the ram rod that came with one of my rifles to accept jags, bullet pullers, etc. The thing is...the rod (steel) is only 1/4 inch in diameter...that means, from what I am seeing on various web sites that sell things like that, for that size diameter rod...seems only 8/32 screws are available...that is fine..if...the end result is something that will hold up. Incidentally...the caliber of the rifle I am talking about is a .58.

Thanking all who reply,
Curt

melsdad:
A 10/32 would be stronger than a 8/32 thread. The major diameter of a 10/32 thread is nearly 3/16". Hope this helps you a little.

Bigsmoke:
Curt
Sure, the 10-32 would be stronger than a 8-32.  But, in real life, I don't think it really would make a bit of difference.  Just make sure all the accessories have steel shanks and not brass.

Wyoming Mike:
The 8-32 should work fine.  I have an old Treso 1/4 steel rod I have been using for twenty years or so on rifles from .32 to .58.  I used it for a range rod for everything up until a couple of years ago when I made a shorter rod for the plains type rifles.  When I made the shorter rod I kept the 8-32 threads because that is what everything else is threaded.  I have had no problems with that thread size.

The only caution is the same as bigsmoke mentioned.  Get steel shanks on the fittings instead of brass.  Nothing is more agravating than breaking a brass shank when the jag is right on the breach face.  The only way to get it out is to unbreach.  Something I hate to have to do.

Fort Greene Ville:
My simple thought is start with an 8/32, if the thread should strip or damage one can simply enlarge to 10/32. Actually had that misfortune on a lock bolt.

FGV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version