Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cleaning a Flinter  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »
I used to take my lock out every couple of times, but usually when I did I would have to take it apart and polish a few parts to get rid of some surface rust.  I just take it out every time now, for the most part.  I don't like getting my guns rusty...
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »
As was said by others,you have to shoot and carry and get familiar with the quirks of each gun, and use a little common sense. I don;t feel that pulling the lock in a field situation is good policy (for me).
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 07:35:12 AM »
I'm trying to train my guns to clean themselves, after all, I feed them,give them a warm dry place to stay and make sure they are safe. So far no luck. Ingrate's! :x
NRA life member
NMLRA

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
I'm trying to train my guns to clean themselves, after all, I feed them,give them a warm dry place to stay and make sure they are safe. So far no luck. Ingrate's! :x

That's the trouble with these youngins today. You're not strict enough with them. Maybe take away their Goex and feed them Pyrodex for awhile. I should think that would make them come around to your way of thinking.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »
Quote from: "Hank in WV"
Quote from: "pathfinder"
I'm trying to train my guns to clean themselves, after all, I feed them,give them a warm dry place to stay and make sure they are safe. So far no luck. Ingrate's! :rotf :rotf

That'll lurn 'em, durn 'em...for sure!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 05:47:21 AM »
Don't think I could live with myself for being so cruel! But if it'll work, I'll try. Tough Love :evil:
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 06:27:37 AM »
Quote from: "Roaring Bull"
I remove mine as well........use a good strong toothbrush to clean it with.

I take mine off every time also and I also use a good strong toothbrush. One word of advice, If you use the tooth brush, be sure to clean it and put it back in the wife's holder before bedtime or she will get furious with ya' :shock:

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 06:30:12 AM »
Griz, the first time I cleaned my flinter's lock with the toothbrush it was hers.  She didn't know that I had gotten her a new one.  Her bristles were stiffer than mine.

OH YEAH, she was a little ANGRY to say the least!

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:34 AM »
OR..., you can just rinse the heck out of hers with hot water, and put it back.  It will be dry by the time she gets home from work, if you wait to clean the rifle on a weekday.   If she doesn't freak out, no harm done eh?  Besides toothbrushes are full of bacteria so disinfecting is a good thing 8)

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:47:31 AM »
Quote from: "griz"
Quote from: "Roaring Bull"
I remove mine as well........use a good strong toothbrush to clean it with.

I take mine off every time also and I also use a good strong toothbrush. One word of advice, If you use the tooth brush, be sure to clean it and put it back in the wife's holder before bedtime or she will get furious with ya' :roll eyes  Oh Boy! Trouble brewing fer sure!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »
I always take the lock out and clean it UNLESS I'm just doing a quick wet swab with a cleaning patch at the range or in the field. If the barrel is coming off for cleaning it only makes sense to take out the lock too. Afterall you have to remove at least the rear screw to get the barrel off. Rinse the lock inards in HOT water and dry it well and add a drop of oil for care free service. That's the way I do it.
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
I always take the lock out and clean it UNLESS I'm just doing a quick wet swab with a cleaning patch at the range or in the field. If the barrel is coming off for cleaning it only makes sense to take out the lock too. Afterall you have to remove at least the rear screw to get the barrel off. Rinse the lock inards in HOT water and dry it well and add a drop of oil for care free service. That's the way I do it.
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
I remove mine because thats the way to get that "nipple flush" kit from TOW hooked to the rifle. and man it sure as heck makes my clean up ALOT less messy. I get stuff everywhere when cleaning mine if that lil suction hose aint hooked to it.

But mentioning that.. My lock is normally very clean inside the rifle and not much on the outside either, other than the pan.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »
I like to remove the lock everytime I clean the gun to assure getting the mating surfaves of the lock and barrel clean, the barrel comes out once a year to check for moisture and set back in a light bed of wax/oil