Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: maxi ball in a Cb Revolver  (Read 3885 times)

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
maxi ball in a Cb Revolver
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
I have a friend that told me he was very successful using a .45 maxi ball in a Remington CB revolver with .25 grains of goex. He re sized only the base so it would fit in the chamber and lubed the bullet with beeswax and alox. I would like to try this but I can't seem to find a mold in the area. I have a .54 which I would trade and I would be happy to buy one if someone has one for sale. Has anyone tried this and if so what were your results?
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »
Lee makes a 220 grain mold meant for the Old Army. I've used it, and can't say that it performed any better that a RB. I suppose it might have more punch, but the paper I shoot, doesn't need any more punch than a RB can give. If you'd like, I could send you some to try.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
I sometimes shoot a Lee like RM says but I drop my powder to 20gr
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:37:30 PM »
Thanks men
For the information, I am trying to target shoot so I am not worried about punch. I didn't make that clear. My friend won a national match at the North South skirmish Assoc. shoot a number of years ago.
I won a ham at a local shoot this weekend using a RB. But I had to hold low at 6 o'clock. I have tried using reduced loads with corn meal and I have not been to happy with the results. I was thinking that the heaver bullet would allow me to shot closer to the under the bull standard hold at 6 o'clock. I went to the Lee Mold site after reading your posts and I see that they make a conical mold for the Remington. I use only traditional sights. Thanks again for your information.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »
FEIW; I have never managed to get anything other than a round ball to shoot even half-way accurately in a revolver.

The diameter of a regular ball for the .44/.45 cal Revolver is actually .454 with a cylinder diameter of .452 (.002 is actually "shaved" off during loading in order to provide a seal.)

The length of a .45 cal Maxi-Ball is 0.735.... the depth of the cylinder on a 1860 Army Colt is 1.245... which leaves room for a max powder capacity volume of only .405 in length....not very much powder for that heavy of a bullet....I don't own a Remington right now, but I would suspect a cylinder of very similiar dimensions.

IMO, the Lee conical would be a lot better choice, and although I've tried them, I didn't care for their performance....but who knows, they just may be the ticket in your revolver.

As usual, your mileage may vary....considerably!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »
Russ
I just went down and miked the cylinder diameters on 3 cylinders and they all came out at .445 and I wish they were .452 because I could size about half or 3/4 of a Long Colt bullet to slip into the cylinder chambers and fit under the loading lever to shave down the rest of the .454 bullet.

I don't think the Maxi bullet will work in my revolver.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Uncle Russ

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »
.......I find that interesting.  :shock:  

Perhaps R.M. will jump back in here.
Is there that much difference in a Colt and a Remington?

I am "almost" sure I am using the same RB mould for the Colt that I was using when I had the 1858 Remington, but maybe not.

Anyway, it seems you have a better than average grip on the situation, and I feel fairly sure that whatever you end up doing, it will be done safely.

Uncle Russ..

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »
Russ
I feel the difference in dimensions is do to  the manufacturer's. I have observed this before in Italian imports.

RM thanks for the offer of the bullets.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:49:03 PM »
Hey Russ, yes the Italian guns seem to have cylinder diameters way small compared to the groove diameter. Doesn't make for good bullet/ball fit. I think it's to reduce pressure, as advised by some lawyer. I have reamed out cylinders to closer match the bore. helped greatly.
R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »
I use a Lee 200gr bullet mould for my Remington.  It says on the box it's for Remington revolvers and is .450 diameter.  I cast up a bunch and am going to take it out to the range and see if I can get "minute of deer" accuracy at 25yds with it. I was thinking of carrying it as "back-up" to my 1861 rifled-musket during deer season.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR

Offline Uncle Russ

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
I was thinking of carrying it as "back-up" to my 1861 rifled-musket during deer season.

Both from the same era.... :shock:

And, if I remember correctly, my bud Hawkeye has one of them too!....now there is a handgun!

Uncle Russ..

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
RM
I was thinking about having the chambers reamed last night after I miked them. What kind of accuracy did you get when you reamed them? What loads do you use for target shooting?
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »
The gun I reamed was a .31cal. Before, the cylinders were .005" under the groove diameter. I reamed them Letter P (.323") diameter, and it also now uses the OO buckshot, which is .335"
This isn't what you would call a target gun, but you can at least keep it on paper now.
The ROA is a good example. .45 bore, .455" groove, and .455" cylinder diameter. Notice how the cylinder and groove match? These guns are as accurate as any modern pistol, in the right hands.
I use 25gr of fff, a card wad, a 9 mil case full of Cream of Wheat, a home-lubed felt wad, and a .457 RB. I've also  chamfered the cylinder mouths so the don't cut a ring anymore, they swag the ball as it's pushed in. This gives a tad more bearing length to the ball, and none of those pesky little lead rings.
On a good day, this will produce 3-4" groups @ 25 yards.
R.M.

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »
RM
I just slugged the bore and lands are .445 the grove is .438. If I want to experiment with the Maxi Ball I will have to buy another pistol which has dimensions like the originals. I guess with this pistol it is back to the corn meal and round balls.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
Chuck, I'm a bit confused. The groove diameter should be larger than the bore.
I think the Italian guns have 5 lands and grooves, which makes it hard to measure.
R.M.