Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

maxi ball in a Cb Revolver

(1/5) > >>

chuckpa:
I have a friend that told me he was very successful using a .45 maxi ball in a Remington CB revolver with .25 grains of goex. He re sized only the base so it would fit in the chamber and lubed the bullet with beeswax and alox. I would like to try this but I can't seem to find a mold in the area. I have a .54 which I would trade and I would be happy to buy one if someone has one for sale. Has anyone tried this and if so what were your results?

R.M.:
Lee makes a 220 grain mold meant for the Old Army. I've used it, and can't say that it performed any better that a RB. I suppose it might have more punch, but the paper I shoot, doesn't need any more punch than a RB can give. If you'd like, I could send you some to try.

jbullard1:
I sometimes shoot a Lee like RM says but I drop my powder to 20gr

chuckpa:
Thanks men
For the information, I am trying to target shoot so I am not worried about punch. I didn't make that clear. My friend won a national match at the North South skirmish Assoc. shoot a number of years ago.
I won a ham at a local shoot this weekend using a RB. But I had to hold low at 6 o'clock. I have tried using reduced loads with corn meal and I have not been to happy with the results. I was thinking that the heaver bullet would allow me to shot closer to the under the bull standard hold at 6 o'clock. I went to the Lee Mold site after reading your posts and I see that they make a conical mold for the Remington. I use only traditional sights. Thanks again for your information.

Uncle Russ:
FEIW; I have never managed to get anything other than a round ball to shoot even half-way accurately in a revolver.

The diameter of a regular ball for the .44/.45 cal Revolver is actually .454 with a cylinder diameter of .452 (.002 is actually "shaved" off during loading in order to provide a seal.)

The length of a .45 cal Maxi-Ball is 0.735.... the depth of the cylinder on a 1860 Army Colt is 1.245... which leaves room for a max powder capacity volume of only .405 in length....not very much powder for that heavy of a bullet....I don't own a Remington right now, but I would suspect a cylinder of very similiar dimensions.

IMO, the Lee conical would be a lot better choice, and although I've tried them, I didn't care for their performance....but who knows, they just may be the ticket in your revolver.

As usual, your mileage may vary....considerably!

Uncle Russ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version