Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Venison Tederloin  (Read 2490 times)

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Venison Tederloin
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:02:46 AM »
Yesterday I fried up the venison tenderloin from a doe I harvested
a couple of weeks ago. Had 6 real nice medallions from the loin.
Marinated them in orange juise and a little worcestershire sauce
for 4 hours. Fried them up in bacon grease with some butter.Added
some diced onion at the end. They were great.....Could cut them with a fork. Maybe some of the best venison I have ever eaten.
  Anyone care to share their favorite venison rescipe????
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:58:07 PM »
I have about 5 favorites:

I do the loins (also as medallions) with butter-sauteed onions and lots of fresh garlic. Prefer good rosemary as the seasoning there. Sometimes over rice, sometimes over egg noodles.

Usually marinate backstrap or good steak in Italian dressing and grill.

Venison burger goes into chili con carne (kidney beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, kernel corn, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay leave, basil or parsley. Top with sour cream or parmesan if desired. Can serve over rice or noodles.

We grind some burger with bacon or bacon ends at somewhere between 1:5 to 1:10 bacon to venison and make a good grilled burger. Adding chopped onions while forming the patties is a nice touch. Always spray lightly with olive oil to preserve moisture.

If my wife and I get 2 or 3 deer, we'll usually make jerky out of the best ham pieces: I slice the meat about 3/16" thick and marinate in some basic liquid concoction...usually a terriyaki mix or super spicy mix. For the terriyaki, I use whatever combination of teriyaki, soy, worcester, olive oil (up to 2-3 Tbs), and liquid smoke (not more than 2 tsp) tastes best in a mix that totals about 2 cups. Cover meat and 'soak' for up to 72 hours. We use a Nesco dehydrator.

See other posts in this forum on venison with juniper, gooseberries, or raspberries

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... php?t=4469

and stroganoff recipes

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... php?t=9290
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:05:06 AM »
Man them recipes sound delicious. Now I just need to harvest some venison. I am looking forward to muzzleloader season that opens the day after Christmas.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
I was never much on the tenderloins, but do love the chops and steaks. I tenderize mine with a meat hammer, sprinkle both sides with a little garlic powder and montreal steak seasoning and grill over medium high heat. 3 minutes on the first side and flip for just 2 more minutes on the other side. Them is Good Eats.
Mark
Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Marine Corps Assoc. - Life Member
Disabled American Veterans - Life Member

Offline woodman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »
Like to leave the inner loin or tenderloin whole, Butterfly it out stuff with onions ,mushrooms, maybe some green chiles.Tie it shut with cotton stringing, place over inderict heat on the grill with some hickory or apple wood to lightly smoke.
 Woodman
Colorado TMA State Representative
Founding Member Uncompahgre Freetrappers
 associate member War Eagles
Happy Canyon Rendezvous Booshway
Tma Member #413 exp 1/21/11

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »
Quote from: "Stryker"
I was never much on the tenderloins!
       Stryker,
                   To be honest,give me the tenderloins of your deer,and
you can have the rest of any I harvest,minus tenderloin.Friend, if
you don't like the tenderloin,you have been cooking it wrong!IMHO
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »
Ok guy's, this is how I make venison chili. I process my own deer, and I do not make burger anymore, haven't done so in about 10yrs. I use stew meat only (cubed) for my chili. Let me tell you that it makes the best chili you ever tasted.

Just take your favorite chili recipe, but do not use ven burger. Do this instead. Take a roast, steaks, or stew meet, and cut all fat and silver skin off. Brown cubed ven in a pan with fresh garlic and onion, then put into a crock pot. Make sure you have enough!  :)  Add the rest of the ingredients for chili to the crock, and let it cook on low all night long. The ven will litterally melt in your mouth. My wife won an award for this (well her) recipe. Try it.
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 02:18:30 AM »
I cut out the back straps and leave them whole. We call them anacondas ...like the snake??? Take a thin fillet knife and slice off the silver/sinew. When you have company take one of the whole loins and cover with Zesty Italian dressing in a deep dish...cover the meat. It only has to stay in the dressing for an hour or so,...then put it on a HOT barbecue grill. Season the meat and Sear it on the hot fire...the dressing seals the juices in the meat. DON'T overcook. Take it off the fire when it's still red/pink inside. Let the meat set/rest for 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy with your favorite beverage.

it don't get no better than this!
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
The loins NEVER make it out of the woods! I cut them out from inside the cavity build a nice little fire,fry 'em up ina little butter and garlic powder[VERY little] and enjoy!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
The loins are cut into medallions, fried in olive oil and served with scrambled eggs. Could be lunch one day or for breakfast the next morning. Either way it's always good.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 06:39:18 AM »
I cut the loin in 2 1/2" chunks stand it on end and flatting them with a meat mallet to make a nice medallion. Then bread them with flower, egg, cornmeal. Brown in olive oil and put in a low oven for 40 min. The top with mozzarella cheese. I make a marinara sauce and cook spaghetti while the meat is in the oven. Serve with meat spaghetti and sauce with Parmesan cheese over the top.. Venison Parmesan.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 10:18:21 AM »
OK, lets clarify... I call the small inside loins  "tenderloins" and the outside strips that run down  the back on each side of the spine, those are "backstraps" ...

pathfinder, when you're fixin those tenderloins in the woods, do you fry em in your folding handled skillet?... :lol:  
You gotta be careful and not eat too much fresh meat before it's had a chance to cool proper....it'll give you the scoots. :oops:
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »
Quote from: Longhunter
OK, lets clarify... I call the small inside loins  "tenderloins" and the outside strips that run down  the back on each side of the spine, those are "backstraps" ...quote]

That's the way I call em too.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »
Yup,I use my "undocumented" folding skillet. I'll have to keep your word of warning about fresh meat in mind. I've not experienced the troubles you had, but I did come down with a serious case of "Ineedanapitis" :sleep
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:42:45 PM »
Just ran across this quote

The way we commonly used our sugar while encamped was by putting it in bear's fat until the fat was almost as sweet as the sugar itself, and in this we dipped our roasted venison. (Smith 1750’s, 37)

Haven't tried it, but it sure sounds good...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!