Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Just picked up a Pedersoli Bess Kit figure it will be a nice

(1/2) > >>

medbill:
winter project.  Anyone out there build one from a kit, any tips or improvements I can do during the build?

I plan on using this for hunting, matches and I might get myself into some reenacting since there is so much where I live here in NY.

Thanks much,

Billy

RichW:
I built one from a kit.

Not much you can do to the fit (it is in the white) but you can really improve on the wood and metal finish.

I used the Behlen wood dye Solar Lux and did an oil finish.

hawkeye:

--- Quote ---I used the Behlen wood dye Solar Lux
--- End quote ---

That is my favorite too!  The finish of the Bess will depend on how historically accurate you want to be.  During the time period of the 2nd model Bess, the metal was left bright.  But if you want to "Ranger" it, you can either brown or "jappan" the barrel and lock.

But no matter how you finish it, Pedersoli Bess' are a BLAST to shoot. I did have to drill my touch hole to 3/32 to get reliable ignition.

butterchurn:
I love my Pedersoli Bess.  I didn't build it I got a deal on a finised one.  I've never had a misfire (that was the gun's fault).  I didn't do my part well once and had a misfire because of it.

I'm very pleased with mine!  I do quite a bit of reenacting with it.  I have what I need to start making my own "live" paper cartridges for it. I won't part with mine.

medbill:
Thanks guys, for $500 I figured I couldn't go wrong and I've always wanted one.  I used to have a sweet Caywood officers fusil as well as a Northstar West but I had to sell both once to raise cash for medical bills.  This time I figured I'd go right for the big guy.  I found a Long Land just a bit too heavy to lug around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version