Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

GREENHORN QUESTION ON HUNTING LOADS AND PATCHES

(1/2) > >>

grizz:
HOWDY FOLKS,
ANOTHER GREENHORN QUESTION ON HUNTING LOADS AND PATCHES.FIRST I HAVE A 50 CAL INVESTARMS HAWKEN FROM CABELA'S.THE MAX LOADS ARE 90 GR 2FF FOR ROUND BALL AND 80 GR 2FF FOR CONICALS.I WENT TO THE RANGE TO WORK UP A LOAD FOR HUNTING ,I ENDED UP WITH 65 GR 2FF GOEX WITH A 245 GR BALL-ET SIGHTED DEAD ON AT 75 YDS WITH GREAT GROUPING. IS THIS LOAD ETHICAL FOR DEER SIZE ANIMALS ,LOOKED IN LYMAN LOAD BOOK BUT CANT FIND SUPPORTING DATA.

SECOND WHILE TRYING TO FIND GOOD LOAD FOR ROUND BALLS COULD NOT GET BALLS TO GROUP AT 75YDS WITH 60GR OR HIGHER WITH OUT A BLOWN PATCH.TRYED 490 RD BALL WITH OX-YOKE .015 PATCH,FIST 2 SHOT OK THEN THE NEXT 3 WERE WAY OUT WITH BLOWN PATCHES.ANY SUGGESTION ON LOADS AND PATCH COMBOES FOR 75YDS OR LESS THAT ARE ETHICAL FOR DEER HUNTING .

THANKS THE GRIZZ

Riley/MN:
New gun?

Might have to break in the bbl, work some of the rough edges off'n the rifling...

Spotted Bull:
I agree with Riley, sounds like sharp rifling.....put some lead down range and have a little fun then work out the load.

Roaddog:
You can try putting 10 grains of cornmeal on top of the charge. That will help take the sharp edge down a little faster. You could also take some bees nesting the type that hang on trees. It will be in sheet's . Put some on top of the powder charge. It won't burn through.

Wyoming Mike:
Your 65 grain load with a Ball-et should be fine for deer size animals.  Within 50 yards it will probably pass completly through the chest of a deer.  At 100 yards it will probably stop just under the skin on the far side.

I have used 70 grains with a .50 RB for years and have only had a few animals run after being hit.  Those only went about 25 yards before going down.  Most just go down where they are standing.

I have some friends who use a .50 for elk and don't lose any animals due to an underpowered weapon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version