Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

LEAVING A BARREL IN THE WHITE.

(1/2) > >>

Dispatch 510:
If you leave a barrel in the white,and put a coat of oil on it. Will it take on a nice grey patina type finish?
Thanks

Voyageur:
8)  "Doc"

oomcurt:
Interesting question! Hmm...I have a CVA kentucky pistol the barrel of which was never "treated". I just left it the way I got it...in the white. Now, I don't know if this would work...but what I've done with knives to give them a patina is take a paper napkin, saturate it with vinegar, wrap the blade with the napkin and let it sit for a few hours. The longer it sits..the more "patinized" it gets. I would not recommend letting it sit for longer than a couple of hours without checking it though. Now, if this would work with a barrel in the white? I dunno. I will say this though...with the vinegar treatment the finish I have gotten is not an even one as with a normal bluing treatment. It is more of a spotty or uneven finish..some areas are darker than others. I kind of like it. I do not know if this it towards everyones liking, but I figure if one let the barrel or the knife just "age", I don't think it would have a very even finish either. Seems to me, with mustard, what does the patinizing is the vinegar in it.

just my two cents....

Three Hawks:
Leaving barrels "white" was a common practice for hundreds of years.  Simply using your rifle will allow it to age naturally.   If you take it out regularly it won't be long, either.

Three Hawks

Hank in WV:
On the last rifle I built, I left it white and every time I shot it, when I cleaned it, I took a damp patch and wiped the vent area and lock and then wiped the whole barrel down with the very dirty patch. This would encourage a mild rust. At first it looked pretty sorry but after a year or so it started filling in. Now it looks like an original and not like an applied finish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version