Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Bevel angle??

(1/2) > >>

melsdad:
What is the bevel angle of most common straight chisels. Preferably the pfeil, or lamp brand. I believe it is 3o°, is that correct?

Indiana:
I found this article which has some pretty good information on bevel angles.

http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/art ... ening.html

Three Hawks:
I built and repaired wooden boats for forty years.  Them's me boney fideys.

There is no "correct" angle of bevel on wood chisels no matter what brand.  It's all a compromise.  A general guide is to use a fairly low bevel of around 15 deg. for softwoods and a shorter bevel for hardwoods.

You will find as you gain experience and skill that each chisel is an individual as is each piece of wood.  

Grind your chisels very slowly on a 6" diameter grinding wheel, keeping the edge cool by frequently dipping it in water.  A slow motor of about 1750 rpm and a medium to coarse grit wheel will minimize burning the edge.  Hone the edge on a medium grit india stone.  That is the combination I used for forty years for grinding and honing my chisels, gouges, slicks, and plane irons.  Remember that grinding a chisel is to shape the edge and remove nicks only, honing it on a stone sharpens it.

One other thing, do not waste your money on cheap chisels.  Buy the very best you can afford, the difference is as night is to day.  I prefer Shark brand made in Eskilstuna, Sweden and Marples Blue Chip, made in England.    There are hundreds of brands of excellent chisels, but I like and use those two the most.

The lower the angle, the sharper the edge and the most delicate.  Steeper angle grinds are more durable, but a bit duller.  If you dont use a mallet the edge will last longer.  

Three Hawks

Captchee:
I was about to say te same thing as three hawks  concerning  this ,
 Very good info there .
 I would also add that I like swiss chisels . Yes they are spend  but  they hold an edge well and touch up very easly  with just a couple passes on my 2000 grit stone

melsdad:
O.K.... so I am making a set of chisels, they will be used mainly  for hardwoods (maple).

Would a 30° angle be the way to go?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version