Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Brown Finish!

(1/2) > >>

SAWMA:
My winter project has been a small bag axe. The head i decided to cold brown after seeing it on the finished maple handle.

I have been putting Tru Brown on, at morning and evening for a week now, and it still looks splotchy. Will it ever mellow out with an even finish? First time thing for me, and i might need to learn some tricks.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Riley/MN:
Did you de-grease good before you started?

wwpete52:
All browning chemicals are not created equal.  There are better options than Tru Brown.  Mountain Laurel Forge makes the best. You don't even have to use a degreaser.  I've used several different brands but this is by far the best.
http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/instructions.htm

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: "wwpete52" ---All browning chemicals are not created equal.  There are better options than Tru Brown.  Mountain Laurel Forge makes the best. You don't even have to use a degreaser.  I've used several different brands but this is by far the best.
http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/instructions.htm
--- End quote ---

I second that notion, Pete.
I've played around with a few of these over the years, and Laurel Mountain seems, IMO, to stand head and shoulders above whatever is in second place.

Uncle Russ...

SAWMA:
Yes i did degrease. The Laurel Mountain directions had this idea which i will try. Thanks for the info.

After letting the second coat work for 3 to 12 hours, again depending on your application conditions, rub the surface of the barrel with a piece of coarse cloth dipped in hot tap water.  This step removes the surface scale that has built up and evens the brown.  After scrubbing the barrel, flood the surface with hot tap water and dry.  Repeat the cycle of applying Barrel Brown, letting the application work and then scaling the barrel, 4 to 5 times more until the desired color has been achieved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version