Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

recoil

(1/3) > >>

oomcurt:
I've been tryin to wrap my mind around this for some time.... My belief is recoil is not felt until the round has left the barrel, yet, others I have talked to say not so...it is generated as soon as the powder ignites. I would welcome feedback on this. Also...in a different thread it has been mentioned that the rate of twist seems to have a bearing also...I dunno...seems to me as soon as the round starts it's rotation, which is immediate when ignition has begun...it shouldn't make any difference. My reasoning is until the projectile leaves the barrel...the whole reaction is contained inside the barrel.... Opinions please....

many thanks,
Curt

Flint62Smoothie:
Newton's 3rd law ...

[size=150]    For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.[/size]

It doesn't matter that it initiates in the barrel, or 'closed' system ... as in truth, it isn't a closed system at all.  To put it simply, the projectile could NOT move forward within a resultant force moving backwards.  I know why you would reason the way you do, and I am sorry if I can't explain it any better, but know that the recoil moment is initiated upon the start of the ignition process.

BTW, 'felt' recoil and the true recoil forces (re: from interior ballistics) are an entirely different subject.  Barrel weight, stock length AND DESIGN, plus your build and stature, etc.  are but a few of the factors that bear on one's ability to feel or tolerate recoil.

There are 4 studies of ballistics with projectiles:
* Internal ballistics, the study of the processes originally accelerating the projectile, for example the passage of a bullet through the barrel of a rifle;
* Transition ballistics, (sometimes called intermediate ballistics) the study of the projectile's behavior when it leaves the barrel and the pressure behind the projectile is equalized.
* External ballistics, the study of the passage of the projectile through space or the air; and
* Terminal ballistics, the study of the interaction of a projectile with its target, whether that be flesh (for a hunting bullet), steel (for an anti-tank round), or even furnace slag (for an industrial slag disruptor).

Fletcher:
yeah what he said.....

Just remember if you shot your ML from outsdie the space shuttle, you would go backwards just as fast as the roundball went forward just as soon as you pulled the trigger.

The good news, you would not feel a bit of recoil.

The bad news - you are the recoil and it may be a bit hard to get you back since you weren't tied down!

The rest of the story, you would not make any noise either!

vermontfreedom:
recoil starts on ignition

tell, do you think you'd feel the recoil if firing a shot from a barrel thats 50 feet or 50 yards long at ignition or when the bullet leaves the barrel?

you would feel the recoil long before the bullet leaves the barrel

perhaps the reason you think it doesn't start until bullet exit is because of the extremely short length of time in the firing process between ignition and when the bullet leaves the barrel for normal sized barrels

ridjrunr:
I've always considered it to be a matter of resistance.Like if yer round ball weighd say 300 grains and then the next one weighd 900 grains  (and both were shot with the same charge)well there is more resistance to move that weight forward,thus more recoil.At a trail shoot last year a guy double balled and when he shot all people in the group said " double ball" because we felt it in the ground.Maybe captchee remembers that(I think it was Daisy?)Thats my thoughts anyways.ridjrunr good thread

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version