Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Period Correct Speed Loaders  (Read 1453 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
Period Correct Speed Loaders
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:24 PM »
So we have the loading block and cappers for a quick hunting reload. What is the period correct accoutrement for carring a pre-weighed powder charge ?

Burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:54 AM »
I would imagine that anything that would do the job would work.  Old drawings of arquebuskers show what looks like wood cylinders on a shoulder strap that would hold premeasured powder charges.

This is pure speculation but I would think if the hunter used them, cane would be an ideal material.  Plug it at one end with wood and bees wax and have a cork or wooden plug at the other.  That would make sense especially for a southern hunter where there was a lot of cane breaks around..
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
I remember seeing a small block of wood that had a few parallel holes drilled into one side of the block that held a charge of powder. The holes were plugged with wooden plugs, and there was a strap attached to hang around your neck, or you could simply keep it in your hunting pouch.

Maybe someone can post the picture I am talking about.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »
The accepted speed loader of the period was the military cartridge box, with paper cartridges and a ball.  One problem with the German Jaeger rifles,... we know they used patched ball, but don't know if they loaded their cartridge blocks with powder cartridges only, and followed with the patched ball, OR if they placed a pre-patched ball into the cartridges, and removed it from the paper while loading..., or simply knew the paper would break away from the patched ball while loading.  It is also known that some American riflemen (Lewis Wetzel for one) would hold loose ball in the mouth, and speed load in combat without patching.  BTW at 50 yards or less in combat the unpatched rifle ball will hit a standing man center mass.    

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »
As Loyalist Dave said, I believe the only historical evidence and interst we have in 'speed 'laoding' was military.  I was under the impression that the waxed paper 'carrtidge' which had a ball (or mini ball) attached was bitten off, the powder poured in and the rest shoved down.

That is what we learned from the reinactment guys who put on a show for the Boy Scout Jamboree when we were there near Gettysburg.  They had both colonial and Civil War reinactors.  It was really neat, but I don't know how much 'Hollywood License' even those guys have.

I would love to see more information taken from written period documents.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:59:42 PM »
I like the wood cylinder idea.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
Quote from: "burch"
I like the wood cylinder idea.

I believe those "wooden cylinders" are called apostle's.  

You know, like the apostles Mark, Luke, and John...:shock:

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Craig Tx

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Member #332
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
Actually I think "apostles" is a modern term.

Chargers, I believe, is the correct term.  So you would have a bandolier of chargers.

I've previously (I think this topic came up on another forum.) consulted with my history geeks and none of them could document a use of a bandolier of chargers in a non-martial use.

Craig
Dios y Tejas!

TMA # 332
Renew: 5 Sept 2024

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:09:19 AM »
So with the paper chargers you just bite off one end and dump everything down the barrel paper and all, right ?

8)

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:12 AM »
Come to think of it, I have never seen a speed charger in anything other than a military context.  

I use them when hunting.  Not for speed loading but as convenience.   The "speed" loaders I use are teflon tubes close to the caliber of the rifle.  They have a cap on one end and the other is open.  I put in a premeasured charge and plug the other end with a lubed, patched round ball.  When I need to load I pull the cap off and pour the powder in, put the tube over the barrel and push the ball in with my short starter.

What is nice is I can carry five of these in a pocket along with a short starter and capper or priming horn.

I doubt if any longhunter would do such a thing but a city person or farmer on a short hunting trip may have used something similar.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:34 PM »
Correct, with the paper cartridge you bite, tear, pour, insert, and ram down.  The paper serves to hold the ball in as the ball is lots smaller than the bore, when using a military cartridge.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.