Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Making a DIY hollow brass ramrod  (Read 627 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
Making a DIY hollow brass ramrod
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »
Many of you have given me great tips and ideas, so I hope this helps some of you and maybe inspires you to make your own ramrod.

I wanted a relatively lightweight 'hollow' brass ramrod to use with my already-weighing-in-at 11-pounds Mowrey Plains Rifle in 50cal that wears a brass forend along with the brass box-lock action. I have a solid brass ramrod made by October Country, and was told they used to make hollow ones ... but I haven't been able to locate one. So I made my own from available parts.

PARTS:

* Treso combo jag/ball puller - $4.75
* 36” length of 3/8” OD brass tube - $5
* 36” length (OPTIONAL) of bras tube [I used 11/32”] that fits snug inside the 3/8” tubing - $4 [You won’t use it all]
* Wood dowel, sized to fit tubing AND the inside of the Treso combo jag housing - $1
* 10-32 threaded brass wood insert - $0.25
* Brass brads (for pin) and gorilla glue, $0 - you MUST keep some on hand ;) !

Yes, as you can see, it’s a bit longer than the barrel, but I prefer my rods that way. In use it projects about 1.5” forward of the muzzle. It gives me extra room to grab or ‘purchase’ the rod when needed and I like the idea of the ramrod protecting the muzzle somewhat from wayward whacks and twigs while in the woods.

Not too bad for 30 minutes work and <$15 in parts huh?
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !