Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Conicals in slow PRB twist?

(1/23) > >>

mark davidson:
Gentlemen: I have been away from here for a while but I now have a question for you fellows. I have a .54 cal. flintlock with 42" barrel with I believe 1:72" twist.  Is there any way to get that barrel to shoot conicals well on out to 100 yards or so? Do any of you have a recipe or suggestion for how much powder and what kind of conical to experiment with?  Please spare me for now from the "why not just shoot prb discussion." :-) I really want and need to shoot heavy conicals and I do not want to have to rebarrel my custom flinter to do so. Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Loyalist Dave:
NOPE

ya can't fool the physics, sorry.  That slow a twist will give your conical an attitude in flight that'll cause it to tumble like a football kicked for a field goal.  It's not a question of velocity.

I started as a kid with a CVA caplock in .45.  I still have that rifle.  Tried T/C Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters.  Made nice keyholes in the paper at 25 feet.  Off the paper at 25 yards.  Later I found out why, while it also shot cloverleaf patterns at 25 yards with a round ball.  The slow twist just isn't enough.  

LD

R.M.:
Velocity might help a bit, but that twist just isn't enough to get the bullet rotating fast enough to stabilize it. The best you could do would be to use as short and compact (no hollow base) a conical as you can get.

Flint62Smoothie:
FWIW I once got excellent hunting accuracy (2" groups @ 50-yards) using Buffalo Bullet 'Ball-Ets', which is a SHORT for it's length conical.  I used the 270gr (IIRC) hollow-point out of a 50cal 1-in-66" twist Mowrey rifle.

I hear Ball-Ets may not be made anymore but Midway sells the CVA version.

mark davidson:
Gentlemen:  Thanks for your replies. I figured as much but I needed some confirmation to my suspiscions. I kinda hoped that there might be some insane amount of powder that would stabilize a conical in my real slow twist and still be within safe pressure limits.  I suppose it is unreasonable to expect any saboted bullet to do any better??????  I detest the idea of using a saboted pistol bullet in my precious flinter but I might be willing to play if any of you have a good proven load. (powder/bullet combo)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version