Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Conicals in slow PRB twist?  (Read 5695 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
TG,... don't ya know everybody starved to death, prior to the invention of "pointy" bullets.  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"TG,... don't ya know everybody starved to death, prior to the invention of "pointy" bullets '

So it would seem acording to the way some would have us think,
as I said I have no thoughts of changing someones mind who hunts traditional with one foot in the modern world or those who cannot take game effectively with traditional gear. I just keep a dialouge open when the topic of bullets arises so those who may be lurking will get a complete view of the topic and hopefully become informed enough to make an educated choice and get an honest assesment and understanding of using traditional gear, the non-traditional crowd gets a little hot under the collar at times but they will survive to toss big ol' bone cruching meat grinding maxiconisuper bullets another day.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »
mark , if i may , TG is correct . the round ball will do all that your are asking  when applied within it range , wich IMO is also the  range one should be shooting a muzzleloader
 the rb is a good projectile . the reason i dont use them for elk is
1) im hunting most times n the rut  and them buggers have un real streagth  at the time of yer
2) the area i hunt is many times inly maybe 100 yards across and then it drops a mile on eather side . of that im not making it up , one one side is hells canyon , the deepest gorge in North americia and on the other is the salmon river , if i recall 3rd deepest .

now yes there are horror stories about the rb . but guess what , there are horror storied about every caliber .

you do just what you said in your post and the rb will do just what your looking for

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 09:42:53 AM »
OOOKKKKK!  I feel like I have taken a couple of jabs here and that is OK cause my chin is pretty tough. I never said the beloved PRB will not kill. Also, I am a long way from "one foot in the modern world." I have killed well over a hundred deer with recurve and longbow which ain't exactly modern and I did not fork out a grand for a custom flintlock so I could be middle of the road in traditional blackpowder shooting. I strongly suspect that some of you "experts" on the keyboard mostly punch paper targets or kill your occasional one deer every few years and then proclaim that whatever you did it with is the ultimate projectile.  If that is not the case then you have my apology in advance. I have killed 15 deer between the beginning of season last year and now with blackpowder, 7 with a TC Hawken and 8 with a custom .54 flinter. To make a long story short the number of exit wounds I get is pitiful. The blood trails are pitiful to the point of non existent.  All the .54 kills were PRB with good shoulder hits.  I actually lost another 4 deer that flipped over and lay there a bit and then got up and left!!! Now I know that I can shoot behind the shoulder and maybe do a little better but like Captchee I often hunt in places that it is much better to shoot the shoulder and put the critter down right there rather than create a situation of nightmare tracking in cutover or hills and ravines that could make a castle disappear. My point is that it is ludicrous to think that a real GUN(muzzleloader) will not shoot through the shoulders of a white tail deer and come out and leave a good blood trail. I'm sorry but at least in .54 cal. your beloved PRBs are just not getting the job done. I shoot 90 grains of 2F so it ain't no wimp load. I am not an "in-line" guy or a "modern" guy. I am just a HUNTER who expects these GUNs to do a little better than mine at least is doing. If that means shooting a conical well then OK; what's the problem??? I am on here to gain information and share my experience so if any of you have actually killed enough game to have some credible advice I am humbly asking for it. However, if the best you can do is jank on me and be judgemental and make jokes about people starving before pointy bullets then how about keeping it to yourself.  I love shooting the PRB for what it is worth.  Maybe I just need a bigger caliber!!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »
OK  as you all know  I hate to do this and really do . But if I may , I need to put my Hat on here for a second .

Mark , if i may here .
don not  ever think you  are getting punches  here .
 we simply do not do that  or alow it here on the TMA .
 yes we have disagreements  and those disagreements are aloud but only as long as they are kept civil and  not attacking another for their view . We  also do not allow off hand personal attacks

In  requiring people to do this  they  must understand an respect another for their view . Thus we do not have the fighting that IMO destroys  the  community and information exchange often found on other boards .
 We  also enforce our rules  concerning the above

So please do not feel your taking any punches that’s simply not the case .
Also understand that a good 90% of the folks here are hunters . Not just occasionally ,but  every season   they can  find that will give them the availability to  hunt with their  rifles or smoothbores..
 I just wanted to make that very clear .
 Your remark about arm chair or key board hunters , is simply not the case here .
 Im sure you will find that the folks here  will only give you their honest opinions , with no  bad intentions to you , your opinion or your experience level  concerning any given topic  . that’s why we have so many good people here .

I will accept your apologies concerning that  on behalf of the others here  and ask that in the future  we save  such remarks for other places .
 Please understand , im not scolding or  reprimanding you . Im simply  advising  you and others  here of the rules . Lets all keep those in mind at all time . That way folks can ask questions  regardless of how basic  or common  without fear of  being hammered into the ground for their request .
 Lets understand that and respect that .
Ok so hat off .
 Ill discuses my thoughts on the  projectiles  which I am writing as you read this

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »
ok so this is going to be long . sorry
 your just going to have to read through my bad grammer and miss spelling

As to the rb .
 Here is what I have found through  ?? Well  a very long time  LOL.
 People have different experiences with the RB for many reasons . Most is limited knowledge I think . Now that’s not knowledge of hunting , that knowledge of the  projectile and  many times the rifle they chose to use .

Now when it comes to projectiles  there are many things to consider . Caliber, charge , projectile ,range and intended target .
 I would not shoot a bull elk with a 45 cal rb . Now that’s not saying the 45 would not do the job , it will . I have killed deer and elk with 22 long rifles . If you place the projectile , regardless  if that projectile is a cactus throne or  a conical , into the hart of ANY living thing , death will happen instantaneously .
 But sometimes that animal does know its dead  and will go a ways . Archers know this  and this is why they wait  for a time before  moving after their game

As far as bllod trail . The only time I have found one lacking with a RB was when I was either shooting a low   charge or was shooting to the limits of the range of that projectile .
 I also have experienced issues  when trying to shoot through the  shoulder  VS behind the shoulder angling forward .. But  I also have experience this same thing with big slow moving  conical.
 The reason Im thinking for this is that  we do not achieve the large  se secondary wound channel that  hi velocity  center fire weapons do . Ifact this lack of secondary  wound is way we can eat right to the hole  and lose very little meet . But it also  does less tissue damage and results  less disruption of  blood vestals
 I  think of it myself very much as an arrow carrying a Brodhead. The blades must cut blood vestals  and create massive blood loss  or the out come will  be less then desirable    

Basically I think we can divide  the issue pf projectiles into two lines of thought

1) are those that want complete pass through
2) are those that  complete pass through means little .
 Both have the same considerations of ,target , caliber , charge and projectile

Lets look at # 1  real quick .
 Normaly RB are made of soft lead .  This expands on contact and thus  when not achieving complete pass through ,  transfers every last amount of energy into the target  . But if are wanting complete pass through . Normally with the thought  creating both an entry and exit wound  in the hopes of creating a larger blood trail . We would then use a harder material for the ball . Thus it will not expand as much . Thus increasing the chance of complete pass through .
 But what  is this complete pass through telling us ? Well lets look at the Lyman charts here .
 We see that  a 50 cal 370 grain maxi hunter  fired with  90 grains of 3F is putting out 846ftlbs of energy at 100 yards .
 Now lets say  that we achieve complete pass through . How much energy has that projectile actually imparted into the animal ? See we don’t know because the target did not stop the bullet  . But we can say that because of the weight . That bullet has  enough energy to drive through  heavy bone  and keep on going .

But I submit that we are  trying to cover all bases  with that line of though . We should not have to worry about a large blood trail  if we  know we have placed our shot . Again I point to archery were in compression  the blood trails   can be  far less to none existent. Thus the reason for   the marketing of string  trackers and electronic tracking tags .
  Relying on a blood trail alone should only be part of your skills  .

Now lets look at #2 .
 When a projectile , be it a rb , conical  or what have you . I say conical here because I have  had conical that did not achieve complete pass through  as well .

When a projectile does not achieve complete pass through  , again it has transfer all its energy into the target . Thus the projectile has stop all forward motion . This can be a good thing  if you  putting a lot of energy into the animal .  We must understand that IF we drive a soft RB through an animals shoulder , a lot of the energy  is transfer right there . Thus we have to have the knowledge that at a given range , that RB will still have retained enough energy to  take it on to the hart and lungs .
So now lets look at the charts for the RB . Again the same load but  with a RB
 Well at 100 yards that ball is putting out 430 ftlbs . IMO still more then enough to do the job .
 But maybe not enough to get complete pass through .
 BUT at  50 yards  its putting out  more then enough and in fact more then the  heavy conical is at 100 .
So what this is telling us is  that we need to be closer if we want complete pass through ..
OR we can use a  material to make our rb , that make them harder and thus expand less . Thus reducing drag of expansion thus carrying the energy longer  when passing through the target  .

So now your saying OK so why then captchee to you feel the need to  use a conical ?

Well first I will say that I have never met a deer or elk that  would not  be killed with a RB . NEVER imo no such critter exists out there .
 But  because at the time of year I hunt  bull elk , those boys are  very much like trying to stop a drug addict who is hopped up on  cocaine.
 Even with large caliber s like 300 H&H or weatherbee  , they  can often go a very long ways .
So while at 10-15 yards a 435RB will do the same as  a large conical , most of my shots I find to be in the 25-50 yard range . Still acceptable for the RB of that there is no doubt .
 But I want to plw through both shoulders . Smack them with as much energy as I can  to ensure the don’t make it the short distance to the canyon walls .

Now that being said , I have never , knock on wood lost an elk to a RB  and I don’t ever plan to . But I have ended up  having them  make that last little distance to  a place where  life  is hell getting them out .
 Now you think dragging a 120 lb white tail  isn’t fun . Try standing next to a 900lb+ bull and realizing  you first 200 yards is  near strait up  not only for  1 trip  but 5 or 6 times ..
 Now when im down here in the low lands ??? Ha no problem , my rifle is loaded with rb and rb only .
 They are effective and will do the job as long as I do mine .
  If the law went back to where we could only use RB like it once was . Truthfully I wouldn’t care. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings . All that would happen is when I was up hunting the canyon rim, I would be a lot more carful about when and where I shot those bulls

So  as my final say on this , I would like everyone to realize that this issue  isn’t new . Its not about muzzleloading . Its about projectiles . If you go  to hunting forums that have center fire discussions you will see people who poopoo the 30.30 , 270 or what have you for elk . Saying they have seen  to many lost animals . Well that’s their opinion and they are welcome to it . But I can tel you I have never not killed  an elk that I shot with a 30.30 or 270  nor did I lose the 2 cow elk I killed as a boy with a 22 .
 But all these same folks must face the facts that  the center fire season is responsible for the largest w/l rate of any hunting season
 Regardless of what you chose to hunt with , if your wanting a clean humain kill  relying on caliber  or type of projectile  is  looking past the fat that  if we don’t  know our weapon , its capabilities , its ranges all added to our abilitiy to place the shot . Then  the problem lies with us , not the  firearms system   .

folks , be good to eachother

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »
Mark, FWIW, a couple of days back, in this very same thread, I was tempted to post that it sounded very much like you may really be a fan of Big-Bores, perhaps without even recognizing it at this time.

I would suspect that I am also a fan of the Big-Bore, although after years of juggling ballistic tables, ball size, powder charges, and practicality, I came to the conclusion that the .54 would do about anything I wanted to do, including taking seven (7) Elk over the years.
And, I have decided to stay with that caliber.
As with anything else in life, your mileage may vary, but it comes down to what each and ever one of us are comfortable with and have confidence in.

As far as the number of deer killed with a muzzleloader, I would wager that I have killed just about as many deer as anyone on this board, and that is mostly because while serving on active duty for 23 years, I had the privilege of being stationed in several more southern states, including Alabama on two different occasions, where that particular "bag limit" was "Not to exceed one antlered buck per day".... let me assure you, that amounts to a lot of deer taken during the 60's and 70's of which 90% were taken with a .50 caliber, which was considered over-kill by many of that day.

The obvious question is; have I ever used conicals?
The answer is yes. I am an avid "caster" and there are very few conicals I haven't tried.
I have, at last count, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60+ moulds, and believe me when I say they are not all round ball.

Have I shot any game with conicals?
The answer is yes, I have shot a lot of game with conicals.
However, for the life of me, I am not astute enough to see any great difference in killing power, or any advantage of the conical over the lowly round ball.
The disadvantage of conicals, as I see it, is that the conical is much more sensitive to powder charges (ie, blowing the skirt.) and exact range is much more critical.

I would also like to add that you shouldn't feel anyone is picking on you because they disagree with you....such disagreement is normal.
Personally, I thought the remark about "starving to death" was very funny, because those outside traditional circles would have everyone believe that has happened, or is going to happen. But, again, humor is an individual thing and is where one finds it.

I would like to ask that you not give up totally on the round ball until you give 'em a chance....and try different calibers. You just might find, like many others, that they are indeed very practical.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
I do apologize for any offense in my tone. It just troubles me to see that hint of "traditional superiority" here that I have seen for twenty years on the traditional archery forums.  You see now why I refrained from disclosing my real reason for being interested in conicals. I somehow suspected that the discussion would go south or become very close minded.  I have always gotten good information here and much help when I got started with this flintlock obsession.  I guess I inferred too much or perhaps had a pre-existing chip on my shoulder but it sure seemed to me that we were about to get into that old close minded mindset where the PRB is king because it is traditional and that its traditionalism makes its shorcomings invisible.  Once again, I like the accuracy and the potential of the round ball. I am genuinely seeking answers for my glaring failures with it and seeking a real solution. If that solution is a bigger ball or more powder or both, then I want to know what to go to. If that is conical then OK.  If it is .62 cal and 200 grains of 2F  then that is OK. I would just like to know from someone who has shot a lot of deer(not just four or five) what really works and smashes shoulders and comes out about every time. That is my quest. Again, my apology if my tone was inappropriate.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
no harm no foul mark  ;)

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
I find it interesting that I too have had a 50 cal ball lay up on the far side and leave absolutely no blood trail from a muley doe, yet Longhunter had 2 pass throughs on his buff.
There just seems to be no definites here.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 12:15:04 PM »
As an ethical hunter are you not supposed to not only use what will put the animal down, but will do it quickly, and retrieve it?  So yes one could use a conical, with a period piece, and shouldn't be taken to task, as Captchee Pointed out.

Also there is a bit of a dif in performance if one uses close to pure lead vs. folks using linotype, or wheelweights.  Less expansion on the harder rounds, so in theory deeper penetration.  I use soft lead on whitetails.

My .54 hammers deer, but my shots are always UNDER 75 yards, and the vast majority are around 50.  Through and through.  BUT when I went to Canada 6 years ago for moose, I used a .50 with a 1:48 twist, AND a 370 grain Maxi-Ball with 90 grains of 2Fg.  It shot these great, although my shoulder didn't enjoy it as much as a patched round ball.  

I had a 1/2 tag and didn't see a thing except some bears, but my partner got the buck with a 405 grain .45-70 handload.   I didn't feel one bit of guilt, and neither should you.  Do what works eh?  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »
Cap, Russ, and others, Thanks again so much for the quality information, especially in the last several posts on this page. And one more time, I do apologize for a bit of over reaction on my part.  My direction of lean right now is to simply have built a .62 cal. PRB gun and see how that goes next year. I am not rich, but I can sell the rifle I like the least.  There seems on paper at least a huge difference in potential between a 230 grain ball and a 350gr. ball!! I am not very recoil sensitive so the thoughts of 200grains of 2F behind a .62 cal. ball does not upset me one bit especially if I believe it will most always blow on through the deer I shoot.  I appreciate the reports above and the positions about pass through versus transfer of energy inside. My goal is two broken shoulders and a deer that cannot and will not get up if I place my projectile in the right place. Even if I aim for behind the shoulder; if I miss a tad and hit the shoulder I want to be pretty sure the projectile is capable and likely to break both shoulders and come out.  While I have successfully killed several deer with my .54, the results have been very marginal and not always simple or pretty.  Maybe Uncle Russ is right and I am just a real big bore fan and too new at this to know it already. I just know that for now for me to get to that "feel good" place again about my weapon of choice and obsession I think I am gonna have to sling a bigger heavier chunk of lead whether that is a heavier conical in .50 or .54 or a bigger ball in .62 or such.  Thanks for your patience and please continue to advise  and enlighten me as you see fit. After all, I am still what would be called somewhat new with this blackpowder obsession.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:21 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
I do apologize for any offense in my tone. It just troubles me to see that hint of "traditional superiority" here that I have seen for twenty years on the traditional archery forums.  You see now why I refrained from disclosing my real reason for being interested in conicals. I somehow suspected that the discussion would go south or become very close minded.  I have always gotten good information here and much help when I got started with this flintlock obsession.  I guess I inferred too much or perhaps had a pre-existing chip on my shoulder but it sure seemed to me that we were about to get into that old close minded mindset where the PRB is king because it is traditional and that its traditionalism makes its shorcomings invisible.  Once again, I like the accuracy and the potential of the round ball. I am genuinely seeking answers for my glaring failures with it and seeking a real solution. If that solution is a bigger ball or more powder or both, then I want to know what to go to. If that is conical then OK.  If it is .62 cal and 200 grains of 2F  then that is OK. I would just like to know from someone who has shot a lot of deer(not just four or five) what really works and smashes shoulders and comes out about every time. That is my quest. Again, my apology if my tone was inappropriate.

Mark,... I think what you'll find with traditional muzzleloader shooters/hunters is, we do NOT claim roundballs are "superior" to conicals, or, saboted jacketed modern bullets.

What we DO claim is, that dispite what modern shooters/hunters say,.... the roundball is EFFECTIVE on game of all sizes (as proven through out history) and that roundballs (on average) are much more ACCURATE in slow-twist barrels then conicals are.
In other words, we traditionalists don't claim the simple roundball is "superior" to other projectiles,.... but we WILL defend it (and it's capabilities) when someone/anyone says it is "inferior" to more modern projectiles.

If you want "smashing penetration" from a roundball for hunting,.... getting it is as simple as going to a bigger ball and powder charge,.... you've got a huge "historical array" of roundballs to choose from, from the tiny/humble .32 calibur, up to the mighty "BIG BORES"[.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:50 PM »
Quote from: "jbullard1"
I don't think a sabot will help at all
Wish I had a mold for a 54 maxi/minnie or such I'd cast some and send them to you just for testing

Mark
You got me to thinking and I fumbled around in the shop and found this. I shoot a 54 as well and want to find out what all it will shoot.

If you are still interested I will cast and send you some of these
Just let me know how many. I will fire up the pot in a few days.
Might be fun to see how mine and your results stack up
What do you think?
 Jerry
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 01:32:46 PM »
First to Mr. Bullard,  I very much appreciate your offer on the minnies and I will be glad to take you up on it and do some testing and share my results with you.  Most of my research simply indicates that minnies and maxis and conicals in general are almost impossible to make shoot well from slow twist barrels like my 1:72" .54.  Obviously Captchee has found a particular bullet that his slow twist gun likes and that gives me hope that the testing might be worthwhile even though it flies in the face of "conventional wisdoms."  Shoot me an e mail at <mark> and I will send you my address. I will be happy to pay for your lead and your time and shipping as well if you like for providing me with some test bullets.  If they work then my goal may be achieved a lot cheaper than a new rifle with a bigger bore. :-)