Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Type G English trade gun!?!  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »
there is mo standardized testing or requirements for testing of muzzleloading barrels in the US .
 the only testing that is done is done by the companies them selves to their standards  . These are also most time only batch testing
 a proper proof test can only be done by a proofing house  of which again there is none in the USA
any such proofing  of a barrel will carry said stamp from that proof house .
  Such a barrel will not only be fired , it will be x-rayed , measured and fired again  to insure not only  the steel stays within a tolerance but experience no molecule alignment change  and is capable of withstanding   a given pressure yet  maintaining all of the above   again with no do effect  to the steal itself  throughout the leaght of the barrel itself .
 anything  less is not proofing only  testing .

many barrel makers of old  considered hardened barrels  to not be suitable . In fact that’s one of the reasons  that  we find most of the most highly accurate  barrels to actually be made of much softer  alloys then what we use today .

I in fact  and I have said this before . If we read the opinions of  Old barrel makers like Hacker Martian , as documented by Hershel house , we find that Hacker specifically states that  a barrel should be so soft as to be able to draw the flats with a knife blade .  There fore he often found  manufactured barrel to be far to hard for  use .
 I don’t care who you are or what degrees you have , that’s pretty darn soft
 now while i wouldnt subscribe to that that line  of oppenion , hacker was one of the last truly historic gun makers in this country

myself i prefer a Getz or Rice or Rayl  barrel  or when available and cost effective  an Iron barrel of proper build .
 but that’s just me

Historically speaking it pretty hard to  claim the  priority of modern steal when compared even to softer irons  of which there is  300 years of data to provide  information  concerning the   prowess  of softer steals over harder ones . But again a person  must  chose what they feel is correct

There is also  more to a safe  rifle  then just the barrel , proper fit of the breech as well as breech material  and breech design is also a must .
 do to liability issues  this is one of the reasons many companies no longer provide breeched barrels . thus leaving the breeching to the gunsmith or builder .
myself as a gunsmith i prefure that

Personally in  all my years as a muzzleloading gunsmith I  never seen a barrel , Spanish or other fail  do to poor quality of the  barrel . Now I have seen them fail do to improper maintenance  by the owner   or improper loading .
 Even modern steels fail  even after being proofed .
  IMO not only through the centuries have we became more advanced  in out technolgies   but it also seems we have become more and more brain dead .
 as such we sue over anything and everything , chosing to point blaim at someone else .
 this is why IMO people tout   the prowes of modern steels . basicly so as to cover  the  vast amount of stupidit amoung their possable customers  and thus Cover their A@# so to say

We also know the thought today that BP cannot  reach  high pressures  is a false hood .
 This was also documented in I believe the early 1800  where it was shown that given the right circumstances  BP could reach pressures over 90 thousand PSI  .
 So can it happen yes . Is it common No .

So regardless of the material of the barrel you chose to use .  One must always properly maintain their weapon . Fail to do that and I don’t care what  pictures you take  showing how well the molecules align and lay  within the steel itself . You run the chance of a barrel failure

There are a lot of sales gimmicks out there  ranging from opinions of flash hole liners to bolster designs to barrel steel .. All are opinions  and like   holes , everyone has one

OHHH LMAO and like everyone else , thats my Oppenion LOL

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »
As is often the case paintings are a poor sources to draw from or use as a reference to aquire a piece of gear. As for thw Cauwood guns their Wilson is not to bad of a "replca" but their French nguns have barrels that are way to short and their locks are really small compared to originals , they would be the last place I would go for a Fench gun.