Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: "Murdoch" Scottish metal pistol  (Read 3242 times)

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
"Murdoch" Scottish metal pistol
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
Anyone have experience with these guns? Available variously from Dixie, and from middlesexvillagetrading. Touch hole not drilled. Look good, so how do they stand up to shooting?
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »
Puffer? ;)
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
Puffer? :rt th

Where is my man Puffer when ya need him?

Hang tight Mr. Kelly, Ol' Puff will be along here shortly and give the complete skinny on yer question.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: "Murdoch" Scottish metal pistol
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »
Quote from: "James Kelly"
Anyone have experience with these guns? Available variously from Dixie, and from middlesexvillagetrading. Touch hole not drilled. Look good, so how do they stand up to shooting?

I took Puffers to a local builder to inspect and get his input, his thoughts are, to shoot parade loads(blanks) no problem, but you would'nt get him to load a PRB and squeeze it off.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Quartermaster James

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »
I purchased one about a fortnight ago. The gentleman I bought mine from proofs those he sells with a 50 caliber ball and a charge of 125 fffg. Seems like a sturdy little hand cannon to me.
TMA Member #506 - Membership Expires 09/23/11
Barlow Trail Long Rifles
Washington State Muzzleloaders Association

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:50:39 AM »
I had one of these briefly many moon ago.  Frankly, I was unimpressed.  As I recall, the trigger pull was somewhere north of about 3,749 pounds or so and when indeed one did squeeze it hard enough to actually set things in motion, it was usually in vain, as it wasn't much of a spark producer.  I had bought it out of curiousity, and curiously enough, was able to find someone wanting it bad enough to settle for or overcome its shortcomings.
I could not tell you how it shot, as shooting it was almost impossible.
Hopefully, this one was unique and the others do not share that ones shortcomings.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
Re: "Murdoch" Scottish metal pistol
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »
Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
Quote from: "James Kelly"

I took Puffers to a local builder to inspect and get his input, his thoughts are, to shoot parade loads(blanks) no problem, but you would'nt get him to load a PRB and squeeze it off.

:horse  Okay. Here is my Take on this.

1.  These pistols are ALL made in INDIA by a number of makers. & the quality varies. Just as "made in India" Long arms ( Bakers, Besses etc ) do. Hence, the quality of the pistol you may purchase, will depend on :
A. The "importer's" Indian sources. ( some importers are very careful  in choosing who they buy from, many are not.)
B. His Co's internal QC of the items he receives. Be aware that many of the importers, sell these guns only as "wall hangers" or to the "refractors market" ( BLANK LOADS ) & make NO CLAIM as to them being SAFE for firing with "Live Ammo"
C. As you mentioned they are "readily available". IMHO, The only "importer I would recommend, is http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWpistol.shtml
I have had a number of conversations with the owner about this subject. IMHO, He takes great care in providing a quality firearm. [size=150]BUT[/size] if you decide to order from him, CONTACT Him & tell him your concerns ( what you want the gun for etc ).
NOTE - 1 Co. I would avoid is http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol2.htm ( I have had "some difficulties with the quality of their firearms & customer service ) Also, Quartermaster James suggestion would be something to check out.

2. SHOOTING- It is your call. As Jim mentioned, mine ( NOTE- mine is NOT from MVTC )  was "checked out" ( the man is one of the BEST in the PNW.) Hence, I opted to take his advice. If you do decide to fire Live Ammo. Here are some thoughts
1. These pistols were meant for CQ COMBAT & accuracy was not, IMHO, the prime consideration. (esp. the British regimental issue, which this gun represents. The better grades, (personal firearms) although not = to  dueling pistols ( which were also Smooth bores) they were reasonably accurate.)

I hope this helped.

I have a passion for this genre of pistols. My DREAM is to own one ( better a Brace ) made from components from here.http://www.therifleshoppe.com/(532).htm The MAJOR problem is finding someone to make the basic gun ( it is very difficult, I have been told ) $$$ for engraving.

To whet your whistle Here are just a couple of posts I have made on the subject

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... php?t=7681   http://www.handengravingforum.com/showt ... #post11837

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
Quote from: "Quartermaster James"
I purchased one about a fortnight ago. The gentleman I bought mine from proofs those he sells with a 50 caliber ball and a charge of 125 fffg. Seems like a sturdy little hand cannon to me.

Would you PLEASE give us a name & web site.??

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
Quote from: "Quartermaster James"

I just got back to check out this topic when I noticed the powder load posted. :shock:  :shake  :toast  After all it is a pistol.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
a bit off topic, but Sir Micheal-why wouldn't you shoot 125gr out of a .62? and 12.5gr for a pistol-you must be kidding!! my .62/20ga pistol load is 35gr of 3f-I can spit harder that 12.5gr of powder!
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 05:22:59 PM »
Michael, I think the 125 grains of Fffg was the person's proof load of the pistol.  That would be a bit stiff in a handgun, especially one with a metal stock of unique design.  Ouch.

125 grains Fffg in a .62 rifle?  Works for me, roughly comparable to the 135 grains of Ffg I use in my .62, and that is a sweet, sweet load.  Shoot it all day long and never know you had pulled the trigger at the end of the day.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 07:07:15 PM »
Thank you all for discussing my question about the Murdoch pistol.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Quartermaster James

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 04:57:43 PM »
PM sent.

Quote from: "Puffer"

Would you PLEASE give us a name & web site.??

Puffer
TMA Member #506 - Membership Expires 09/23/11
Barlow Trail Long Rifles
Washington State Muzzleloaders Association