Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Crockett breach  (Read 899 times)

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
Crockett breach
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
does the Traditions Crockett rifle have some kind of a pattened breach. buddy of mine has one,while wiping between shots he gets the ramrod and jag stuck in the barrel and ends up snapping the ramrod off flush with the muzzle. after messing with it for several days i ended up getting enough 4F into it through the nipple hole to shoot it out. took it home to clean it,took the barrel off,put it in a bucket of soapy water,wire brush first,then a bore mop,then a cleaning jag with a dry patch,damned if it did'nt get stuck also.fortunately i was useing a long metal range rod for cleaning and managed to get it out. at the very bottom of the breach there seems to be a lip that is catching the jag.has anyone else ever had this problem,is there anything that can be done to fix this. also does anyone know the thread size for the nipple,i believe they are 1/4X28 but cant recall for sure...thanks!
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »
David it seems I remember something about there being a gap between the end of threads of the breech plug and the barrel in some of the Crockett rifles.  The patch seems to get caught in that gap when you try to pull it back out after bottoming it against the breech plug.   Hope someone here can set me straight if I'm having a Senior Moment!
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago!

GO GREEN!   Recycle Congress!

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
that is exactley what it is doing Gene. i had one a few years back but never had this problem with it,makes me wonder if it was only on the older ones and they changed them or somthing.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »
Ironwood, I think you are right on that.  That's usually what that symptom is a sign of.

I doubt if Traditions ever used a standard thread.  Most of the time, they are 6-1mm.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
Crockett breach
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »
David you can Download the Traditions Crockett rifle Owners Manual at
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago!

GO GREEN!   Recycle Congress!

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
i believe you are right bigsmoke,got to thinkin' after i posted that they use a metric thread

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
thanks Gene

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »
I bought a used Trad. Crockett .32.  I got a patch/jag combo stuck as the rifle apparently hadn't been thoroughly cleaned by previous owners.  Once I got the jag out, I did a thorough clean by dismounting the barrel from the stock and soaking the breech in a bucket of hot, soapy water for a couple of hours.  I first removed the clean out screw and nipple so soapy water could get to where it needed to go.  

I then cleaned the patent breech with a nylon .22 bore brush, first just the brush, then the brush with a cotton patch on it.  

Being made in Europe, all threads on this rifle are metric.  

Once I got the breech clean, it works fine.  Just take it down and clean it well after firing.  Remember to remove the clean-out and nipple.  

I recommend avoiding a bronze brush for cleaning the patent chamber as it could get permanently stuck.  A nylon brush has much less tendency to do that as the bristles are soft enough to bend yet hard enough to scrub.

If you suspect that there are open threads in the breech, call Traditions Customer Service:  1-860-388-4656, they will help.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »
this thing is clean as a whistle,there is some kind of lip or ridge in the breech that the jag is catching on. there is no removable breech plug on this rifle,so i dont think it's threads that it's catching on

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:16:29 AM »
The key is to use a slotted jag (like a .22 caliber rimfire).  It's not the best thing for cleaning but it will not get hung up.
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
No production company that I know of makes or has ever marketed  a drilled barrel
As i recall the crocket rifles use a  somewhat modified snail breech . There is a breech plug there. Its just the breech plug is about 1 1/2 inches long and includes the snail  
 This is also one of the improved breech systems in that they taper the hole in the breech face just a little . If you cleaning jag is of the right size it will start into that hole and then wedge  itself .
 Traditions at one time sold a double  stepped  cleaning jag for this purpose .
  Have you had a bore light  get stuck  even just a little

Also if the plug does not go all the way to the end of the threads  of the bore , then you  most likely have bigger issues then just getting a jag stuck good and hard . The plug had to  seat at its face so no threads are exposed  or fouling will build in the thread , corrode . well you see where im going . its not good

There are two ways to fix this.  well actually three but  traditions will just sent it back saying all is fine and then charge you for it
 1) remove the breech  and  crown the face of the breech plug

2)   get you another cleaning jag  and taper the  face alittle .
 a steel tip is better so if you can make one ,
 Then take valve grinding compound and place on the  face and shoulder of the jag . Slide it down the bore tell you feel it settle in the hole at the breech face .  Now spin the rod .

Now IMO #1 is the best option and will fix the issue quickly . If your not comfortable  doing this , take the barrel to a  gunsmith and have them remove the breech .  Do the  fix and re install  the plug

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »
Cap,

What does one need to do to unbreech the Crockett?  I have developed a real affection for this little pot-iron and wish to make it easier to shoot and clean.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 09:08:55 PM »
basicly un screw it . but it can be seized up  if its face was not sealed . also IF they used a tappered breech plug  it can be mechine  set . not fun to get out