Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lehigh Valley plans  (Read 648 times)

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
Lehigh Valley plans
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
Well,I'm healed up from surgery's pretty well now,finished a Tennessee rifle I started before the sawbones got ahold of me,and now I'm looking at doing a Lehigh Valley,any one know where I can get some drawings or plans? I like the rather severe drop in the stock like the one in the CLA site on page 22 of contemporary for sale. Any help would be appriceated
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »
Pathfinder,  glad to hear you are mending well.  Sorry I can't help you with drawings of the rifle.  However, please take photos of the build.  Would love to see them.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago!

GO GREEN!   Recycle Congress!

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »
The sort of profiles David Keck shows on his site?

http://www.knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/stocks.html

Choice of several styles/shapes from him, and the Dreisbach has gobs of drop. The Northampton (Rupp, Moll) is Lehigh, IIRC. Not sure he has drawings, but you can get the back end pre-shaped from him. Have a look.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:05:10 AM »
Track may have some plans, otherwise I recommend picking up Rifles of Colonial American Vol's I and II.  While they are pricey (around $60 per volume), they're well worth it in that you'll have pictures and dimensions of more original guns than you can shake a ramrod at!
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »
I do have all of Shumway's books, you can get close with the photo's, but drawings are the way to go,unless you have one to hold. Thanks Kermit,looks like I'll have them shape my wood, I normaly work from a blank,I like @3/8 cast off,I'll contact them and if they can accomadate, I can save my customers a significant amount of money.
NRA life member
NMLRA