Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Barrel rebore  (Read 748 times)

Offline huntsman247

• TMA Forum Member
Barrel rebore
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:55:15 AM »
Hi everyone, new here.  What I am looking for is someone to rebore my T/C .54 with the QLA muzzle.  Would like to rebore to a .58 slow twist for RB.  Any suggestions or comments?  Thanks
Member Number 518

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Barrel rebore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
Quote from: "huntsman247"
Hi everyone, new here.  What I am looking for is someone to rebore my T/C .54 with the QLA muzzle.  Would like to rebore to a .58 slow twist for RB.  Any suggestions or comments?  Thanks

It might be a good idea to do some homework as to cost to rebore and rerifle versus buying a new barrel and having a drop in made up.

What I've read about and seen is simply cutting the T-C barrel  behind the QLA and recrowning.  

Someone will be along shortly with differing opinions and suggestions.  

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:06:45 AM »
If you have a 1" barrel you should be able to do it.  If the barrel is 15/16" it would probably be too thin to be safe.  

As Three Hawks said you also should look at the price of just getting a new barrel.  Having a barrel rebored and rifled usually costs about twice what a new barrel would cost.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline huntsman247

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:37:08 PM »
It is the 1" barrel, from what I have found so far it is around $150.00 to have rebored; although that seems pretty low.  I would have liked to go with a GM barrel but seems they are few and far between these days.  Besides, I would like to put the factory barrel to use as I did purchase the GM .54 barrel for the T/C several years ago; great barrel!!
Member Number 518

Offline Daehenoc

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »
Got one rifle with the "QLA".
The onlyest problem with the set-up appears to be that the entrance into the rifling (at the bottom of the counterbore) is SQUARE CUT.
Now how in blue blazes are you supposed to get down in there to redo that angle and make a cone entrance? Yeah, very carefully.
Maybe if I fire a brazilion or so ticking patches with Clover valve grinding compound the problem will fix itself.

Rebore to a .577 bore may be in the cards. Maybe make it just fast enough to still stalize minies...about a five foot twist? That oughta work with RB?

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
Being the barrel is not an item thhat has no sentimental value . I would agree with others here and buy a drop-in. You could have QLA barrel  reamed to .56 cal. and have a neat little smooth bore.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
Quote from: "Daehenoc"
Got one rifle with the "QLA".
The onlyest problem with the set-up appears to be that the entrance into the rifling (at the bottom of the counterbore) is SQUARE CUT.
Now how in blue blazes are you supposed to get down in there to redo that angle and make a cone entrance? Yeah, very carefully.
Maybe if I fire a brazilion or so ticking patches with Clover valve grinding compound the problem will fix itself.

Rebore to a .577 bore may be in the cards. Maybe make it just fast enough to still stalize minies...about a five foot twist? That oughta work with RB?

I never understood why TC did not crown the  bottom of the QLA .
 Its only a small additional step and you tale only seconds  in the manufacturing process .

You could do a couple things to crown it
1) a tapered pipe reamer  turned slowly by hand
2) a counter sink that  is of the QLA bore .
 Turned   at low speed in a press

Best IMO to just cut the bloody QLA thing off . That way you can do a little file work. cto clean up the flats and  re crown . she would then  be good as new

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »
I have a .50 cal T-C Penn. Hunter that has QLA, and it came crowned. It loads great, shoots great. One can keep all shots in the ten ring at 50yrds. It would do better if I could see better.