Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: kit or blank  (Read 686 times)

Offline jim m

• TMA Forum Member
kit or blank
« on: January 01, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »
what's your preference. I have only built 2, 1 was a Chambers kit and one was a Jack Garner kit. I enjoyed both but I prefer a kit like Jack Garner puts out. the Garner kit came roughly shaped with barrel,ram rod, and butt plate inlet and that was all. no lock panels,lock,or trigger inlet. I found that very enjoyable and gives you some lee way on where to locate things. of course I did make some mistakes but most are hidden, and it was a great learning experience. I think the next will be a scratch build, but will probable send it to David Rase or Fred Miller for the barrel and ram rod inlet. sorry for the ramblings hope I didn't put you to  :sleep sleep
any day in the woods with a flintlock is a great day

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
At the most just the butt profile. Nothing pre-inlet and plenty square all the way up.

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »
My preference is to have the barrel and ramrod channels cut.  Maybe some pre-shaping but nothing else.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »
myself , it depends on what im doing .
 If it’s a full custom then its from a blank .
Semi custom  For the most part I  do my own inletting . I  normally don’t want anything inlet. If I do , it’s the barrel and RR only  and the barrel inlet  I have  don’t one size under
 I don’t mind the butt to lock somewhat shaped  as long as its way over dimensioned , but I don’t like the fore arm shaped  at all .

Offline jim m

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59:39 AM »
I like all of the suggestions above, especialy the square fore end. I found doing the inleting myself to be very rewarding. I tend to like plain guns mostly because I AINT ARTIISTIC OR CREATIVE, I can get the mechanics down but have no imagination at all
any day in the woods with a flintlock is a great day