Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: underhammer  (Read 1097 times)

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
underhammer
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
Well here's something,  A while back on underhammer society page there was a pic & article about a 20 ga. pistol made by a "Correvon" Swiss about 1840.  Only 1 is known to exist.  In the article Roger Renner said might make perfect sense in a shotgun,  as it's double action just point & pull tgr.  as tgr does back hammer slips over hook on tgr....,Bang.  Great for follow thru in wing shooting. Not seeing the insides I made a paper pattern of what I thought might work.  Well it does.  This gun is a 20 bore X 26" bbl off ebay, lock & stock made by me.  Throws a nice pattern & 20 yd.  40 gr 3f equal shot & circle fly wads....If any budding gunmakers want to knock one out     fly at it............Tom  I'll answer any ? out there.  I really like this smoothie & carry it on treks hunts & walks.......
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
Re: underhammer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
Pathfinder showed up at my door yesterday (11-16-'12) we had a nice visit I showed it to him & he got a big laugh out of it.  I think he liked it, ask him. Great meeting folks of like minded ML, wife & pathfinder really good folks...........Tom..........  most a you know that already....
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:55:53 AM »
Interesting action. It looks like you would have to cock it to re-engage the trigger after firing.
I hope you counted your silverware after Pathfinder left.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:13:09 AM »
Very unique. I like it!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »
Tom,
You got a photo of the hammer at full cock?
My wife says I have no abstract reasoning ability, and in this case I must agree with her.  I just cannot imagine how that action works, no matter how much I look at it.  Another case of round shoulders and flat foreheads, me thinks.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
Bigsmoke, Take both of your trigger fingers, make hooks of 'em.  Put 'em together, hook to hook.  Now pull 'em apart---keep 'em hooked,  see how the tips of your fingers slide up over each other ?  One finger is tgr. one is ham'r.....that help..........Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
That's the most interesting thing I've seen since that caged honest lawyer I saw at a zoo when I was 12.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
Honest lawyer ?? bet that drew a crowd.   Tried to count silverware after pathfinder vamoosed, but wife's brother having been here lately couldn't get a good count....oh well.............Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Really like that action. Makes sense any time you need to shoot fast. Defensive pistol or shotgun. Would be great for a trap or skeet gun.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »
That's what the Swiss gun was Ironhand, A 20 ga. pistol !
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
Interesting indeed...that Path took off when you started to count the silverware. Lucky for you he was with his lovely young bride.  That underhammer is unique.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
Here's a link to a photo Renner showed a while back of another pistol. This one is also "double action." The ring trigger pulls the end of the spring/hammer down until the trigger slips the hammer free to slap the cap. One moving part and one spring. The "hammer" swings to the side to get it back into battery and to get the next cap fitted. I always thought this one would make a terrific shotgun action. I don't see how you could make an underhammer action simpler.

You have to scroll down about 3/4 of the way on the page to "Cooper, copy, or what?"

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/search ... date=false
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »
Very interesting concept , I,ve often wondered why the under hammers never caught on . Seems like a "back to the future " thing ? Not complicated enough to base arguments on (discussion) . "There it is , it works well ---now what ?????
Nice work !
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:16 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  Getting parts together for a 16 bore early flint fowler.  Will post some pic's as I go along...................Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
Please do, Tom. I remember being a little fascinated by underhammers when I first saw one about 40 years ago. I resisted them as "not traditional." I've finally caved, and am building a 12ga with a Taylor action, Colerain Barrel, and some nice curly red maple I've hoarded. I also have an underhammer chunk gun and a RB bench rifle. I have a fantasy of a schuetzen rifle too. For me, it's a flinter, an underhammer, or a single shot breechloader. Somehow sidelock capguns just don't speak to me anymore.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393