Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lyman rebuild  (Read 1131 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Lyman rebuild
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
I'm customizing aGPR I reworked the lock and smoothed out the trigger today but the trigger adj. is all the way down and it,s still about 7-8lbs pull so I nèd a longer adj. screw I guess ,I had read some where that someone sells these I'd like to have an unset trigger of about 3 lbs.
 I've got a kicking piece of tiger striped maple I'm I inletting for it also I have plans for a cast on nosecap eventually maybe metal refinishing but it's actually in pristine shape that way but so was the stock.... Maybe a capbox  not sure there either.
  I am considering some light carving and / or wire inlay  have n't yet ventured there yet but nothing ventured nothin gained,right? Any suggestions or hints? Any thing else  with the lock or trigger if you've worked on the Lyman's I'd like to hear from you.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Lyman rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
That screw adjusts how hard it is to set the rear set trigger. It won't lighten up the front trigger unset.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
Quote from: "shootrj2003"
I'm customizing aGPR I reworked the lock and smoothed out the trigger today but the trigger adj. is all the way down and it,s still about 7-8lbs pull so I nèd a longer adj. screw I guess ,I had read some where that someone sells these I'd like to have an unset trigger of about 3 lbs.
 I've got a kicking piece of tiger striped maple I'm I inletting for it also I have plans for a cast on nosecap eventually maybe metal refinishing but it's actually in pristine shape that way but so was the stock.... Maybe a capbox  not sure there either.
  I am considering some light carving and / or wire inlay  have n't yet ventured there yet but nothing ventured nothin gained,right? Any suggestions or hints? Any thing else  with the lock or trigger if you've worked on the Lyman's I'd like to hear from you.

Yes,... you need a longer "set adjustment" screw, and one with metric threads.
I used to find such screws for my GPRs, in old tape players and CB radios.

You might also be able to match the screw you now have with a longer length, at your local hardware store.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
Beaverman may see this and have something of value to offer.
I think he did a couple not all that long ago.
There used to be a "sticky" here which covered one of his GPR' rebuilds.
Which, I can't seem to find. :oops:

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
Quote from: "Muley"
That screw adjusts how hard it is to set the rear set trigger. It won't lighten up the front trigger unset.

Yes,... the screw adjusts the "set weight" of the front trigger.  :rt th
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
I've probably have some of the longer screws around here some place, but it might take me a day or two to find'em.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »
You know,I don't know how many times I've read it,and I don't know how many times or how many guys told me that, BUT,finally after reading a post by Cannon,it sunk in and I retread all the posts and realized that the adjustment screw only adjusts the SET PULL,(did you guys know that?)LOL sorry,It's my thick German skull genes!
 My lock 's SET PULL is good and I have smoothed everything out so it's a fairly Nice lock,what I want is to lighten up the UNSET pull and correct me if I'm wrong but I think someone also mentioned that the coil spring is the target here,I can probably figure it out but is there a disassembly tutorial here for this lock? I would like to reduce it to at least 3-4lbs unset ,another question is ,if I lighten the unset pull via shortening the coil spring will this lighten the pull at the trigger adjustment ,it seems to me that they kind of work independently of one another to a point(TO A POINT,) sorry I will try to listen better.smile!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
You know,I don't know how many times I've read it,and I don't know how many times or how many guys told me that, BUT,finally after reading a post by Cannon,it sunk in and I retread all the posts and realized that the adjustment screw only adjusts the SET PULL,(did you guys know that?)LOL sorry,It's my thick German skull genes!
 My lock 's SET PULL is good and I have smoothed everything out so it's a fairly Nice lock,what I want is to lighten up the UNSET pull and correct me if I'm wrong but I think someone also mentioned that the coil spring is the target here,I can probably figure it out but is there a disassembly tutorial here for this lock? I would like to reduce it to at least 3-4lbs unset ,another question is ,if I lighten the unset pull via shortening the coil spring will this lighten the pull at the trigger adjustment ,it seems to me that they kind of work independently of one another to a point(TO A POINT,) sorry I will try to listen better.smile!

I dunno,... I've never tried it.  :) )
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
I dunno, I don't think I would cut any coils off the minspring.  I would polish the innards of the lock - the sear, the tumbler, etc.
Take the lock out of the stock and mount it in a vice.  Bring the hammer back to full cock.  Take a flat tip screwdriver and capture the end of the spring.
Lift up on the sear and let the hammer down.  The plunger and the spring will now come free.  Warning:::::  The plunger and spring might make a dash for freedom at that point, don't do this in a cluttered shop, as finding the errant pieces might be a bit difficult.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
I  like a set trigger ,especially for range work and if I'm on stand but not when I'm still hunting when those quick shots come up I like about a 3lb trigger I rework all my rifles triggers to this weight my T/C was actually no problem ,set was about 1 1/2 lbs and 3 1/2 unset ,none of my muzzleloaders had this much discrepancy between set and unset,but this is an unused rifle and was never worked on before and I like that part.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
That's a cool tool set up there Bigsmoke and I will polish up the innards before any nipping occurs .I did polish the sear arm and trigger bars already and this smoothed it up quite  a bit but I have not gone into the guts  except to polish the point of the sear and the frizzen and frizzen spring just enough to smooth them up.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
I  like a set trigger ,especially for range work and if I'm on stand but not when I'm still hunting when those quick shots come up I like about a 3lb trigger

It only takes a "split second" to set the front trigger,.... I've never had it EVER present a problem for me while hunting.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »
Most of my guns have set triggers and I love them.  I use them at the range and in the woods.  I don't wear gloves while hunting so a light pull works just fine.  All my set triggers are set about the same; two that I've measured were 13oz set.  The rest feel about the same.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
I pull the rear trigger when I enter the woods, so all I gotta do is cock the piece and slap the front trigger when I have a shot at game. No problems after many years.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
Quote from: bigsmoke
don't do this in a cluttered shop, as finding the errant pieces might be a bit difficult.
quote]

What is this "uncluttered" shop you speak of? Unfamliar to me!
NRA life member
NMLRA