Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Geez Louise, yet another GPR???  (Read 2194 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Geez Louise, yet another GPR???
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
I dunno what it is about these guns, but this one's my 5th or 6th (or 7th?), "kit" form of course.  it's a .50 and shipped to me it was $467, an all-time low price for sure.  Finished it up this afternoon and and will get baptized next week, prolly for the Mike Fink match.  Anyhoo, after rasping and sanding, the tang, lock mortise and barrel channel were coated with wicked in 'hot stuff' CYA to seal and protect, then I wiped on 4 coats of warmed Tru-Oil with 0000 wool buffing between coats,  breech pulled and Nikal'd, touch hole opened to .062", ram rod brass ferrules pinned with brass brads.  A nice, solid gun that will prolly prove to be more accurate than me shooting it.  :laffing

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Geez Louise, yet another GPR???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 02:17:45 PM »
Man oh man, you can turn 'em out!
One thing about it, that GPR with its slow twist rifling is a about as good as it gets with PRB!

Side Note; I just order an 8oz. bottle of CYA, should be here next week.
I hope it's the right "stuff"...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THICK-Regular-Type-CA-Super-Glue-HOBBYBOND-Large-8-oz-Refill-Bottle-/171455457306

I've read elsewhere where you recommend CYA for the prevailing cracks that often show their ugly face in the wrist and tang area of the old Renegades.
I have always used Acru-Glass from Brownell's for this purpose, but that often requires some very tedious removal of wood in many of the very critical areas, and it is typically so thin that I have to wonder about its strength....proper bedding of the Tang and recoil area of the Tang is of utmost importance, IMO

Congratulations on your new Rifle, looks good, and I have no doubts whatsoever about it shooting every bit as good as it looks....it just seems to be the nature of the beast when it comes to Lyman Rifles.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
oh no russ! thats the wrong viscosity!  it needs to be water thin so that it will wick into the finest of hairline cracks and soak into wood grain to super harden it.  a little bit lasts a loooong time so i buy "hot stuff" by the case in 1oz size, keep one in the shop and write the date it's opened on it so i can keep track of its "freshness", the rest go in the 'fridge. 

http://www.caglue.com/product.asp?itemid=12&cvsfa=4327&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=34&gclid=CjwKEAjwhYLLBRDIjoCu0te4niASJAC0V4QPWg-5kBbl3SxgTQT3m2ZWgksUEap69fYee_8wcfot5xoCUrfw_wcB

hand in there, i got a leetile bottle going out to ya monday!  :*:

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
One thing about it, that GPR with its slow twist rifling is a about as good as it gets with PRB!

I recall once a long time ago I set up shop at a state shoot.  A fellow came up to my trade table and bought one of them and proceeded to the shooting line and started his match.  About the only thing he did was run a patch down the barrel and pop a couple of caps.  Long story short, he wound up taking 2nd place overall.  Not bad for a rifle that had never been sighted in nor had any time at all developing a load.  I found that to be truly amazing.

Went to a SHOT show one year and Lyman was displaying a full stock model of the Great Plains Rifle.  This was probably 20+ years ago.  Sorry to say, they never did anything with that design.  I thought it was pretty nice, but...  I seem to recall that I tried to buy it from them, but they weren't selling.  Too bad.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
oh no russ! thats the wrong viscosity!  it needs to be water thin so that it will wick into the finest of hairline cracks and soak into wood grain to super harden it.  a little bit lasts a loooong time so i buy "hot stuff" by the case in 1oz size, keep one in the shop and write the date it's opened on it so i can keep track of its "freshness", the rest go in the 'fridge. 

http://www.caglue.com/product.asp?itemid=12&cvsfa=4327&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=34&gclid=CjwKEAjwhYLLBRDIjoCu0te4niASJAC0V4QPWg-5kBbl3SxgTQT3m2ZWgksUEap69fYee_8wcfot5xoCUrfw_wcB

hand in there, i got a leetile bottle going out to ya monday!  :*:
Oh Crap!  Silly old me........
I can't stop that order, so hopefully I can use it for something else.

I will get the right stuff, now that I know exactly what to get.

Thanks Rob!
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 04:16:54 PM »
russ, don't buy anything, i have some going off to you on monday, it's enuf to seal off or fix at least 8 guns.   :*: :toast

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 04:25:28 PM »
russ, don't buy anything, i have some going off to you on monday, it's enuf to seal off or fix at least 8 guns.   :*: :toast

Gee whiz Rob, that's mighty nice of ya! :bl th up

Got any need for some of the "thick" stuff? :Doh!
(Looks I will have enough for all of us here shortly.)

Thanks again!
BTW; Have ya been using LeHigh Valley Lube lately?
Like I told ya before, I got the longest string of shots ever, w/o wipping, using LeHigh Valley, and that was in a GPR!

Uncle Russ...

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:08:13 PM »
Not to butt in here or highjack the thread, but I have an almost full bottle of Lehigh Valley Lube I would be happy to send your way, Uncle Russ. I bought a bottle and just don't care for it. PM me your address and I will ship it out, post haste.  :bl th up
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »
Not to butt in here or highjack the thread, but I have an almost full bottle of Lehigh Valley Lube I would be happy to send your way, Uncle Russ. I bought a bottle and just don't care for it. PM me your address and I will ship it out, post haste.  :bl th up
Thank you John that's very kind of you, but I already have a couple of bottles.

Last year Rob sent me a "New" bottle of LeHigh Valley but I already had some of the old on hand.

I am very anxious to try them both together, old compared to the new, to see if the formula was changed when the new bottle hit the market last year.
However, due to circumstances, that comparison is yet to be made.
I really like the old formula so, of course, I am anxious to try the new.
(The "old" stuff I have is likely 20 or so years old!!...bought a whole case one time at a gun show.)

Thanks again, Uncle Russ....

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »

Gee whiz Rob, that's mighty nice of ya! :bl th up

Got any need for some of the "thick" stuff? :Doh!
(Looks I will have enough for all of us here shortly.)

Thanks again!
BTW; Have ya been using LeHigh Valley Lube lately?
Like I told ya before, I got the longest string of shots ever, w/o wipping, using LeHigh Valley, and that was in a GPR!

Uncle Russ...

russ, i almost never use the thick variety, i'd rather opt for slow set epoxy, as i just did with a new horn build i'm working on, but thank you.

i do use the LVL, but mostly as cleaner for the ml and bpcr guns after shooting, for cleanup.  i'll sometimes use it, or moose milk, for fouling control - depends on the ml gun and load.  i like pre-lubing patch strips with "gato feo", and that usually means no fouling control is needed at all.

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »
Thank you John that's very kind of you, but I already have a couple of bottles.

Last year Rob sent me a "New" bottle of LeHigh Valley but I already had some of the old on hand.

I am very anxious to try them both together, old compared to the new, to see if the formula was changed when the new bottle hit the market last year.
However, due to circumstances, that comparison is yet to be made.
I really like the old formula so, of course, I am anxious to try the new.
(The "old" stuff I have is likely 20 or so years old!!...bought a whole case one time at a gun show.)

Thanks again, Uncle Russ....

No problem. Let's add it to the raffle prize list, then.  :bl th up
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »
Well, I dunno about Lehigh Valley Lube old and new formulas, but if y'all want to use a good concoction for wiping between shots, final cleaning and a patch lube, produced by a member of the TMA, y'all should contact Fletcher and pick up a jug of Ol'Thunder.  It is really an excellent product.  In my few years of shooting these silly old guns, it is the best I have found.

While at a rendezvous in Idaho last month, I had an opportunity to try a rip off of Ol' Thunder and I could not believe the difference.  Ol' Thunder is the real deal.  The other stuff?  Nah, just wishful thinking.

Rob, the underline and bold commands don't seem to be working on this post.  Tried to do that for "produced by a member of the TMA" statement and it would not work.  Any ideas? :P
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »
works for me just fine, john ...

Rob, the underline and bold commands don't seem to be working on this post.  Tried to do that for "produced by a member of the TMA" statement and it would not work.  Any ideas?

... i have no clue what problem yer having, but i'd suspect it's on yer end and not within the forum software.  perhaps a browser issue?  dunno, sorry.

anyone having text enhancing issues?

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 03:12:25 AM »
I haven't noticed any anything. with the enhancing.
Seems everything is okay here

When the letters are running across the page like this, the "i's" are pretty hard to dot, and the "T's" are tough to cross, but if ya hang with it long enough, you'll get it, I'm sure.. :bl th up

Uncle Russ...

Just pulling your leg John, hope ya get it all worked out.
Computer problems can drive ya batty when they just appear out of the clear blue.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 08:00:35 AM »
whilst making a fool of myself yesterday at the range with the mike fink and smoothbore targets, i got to baptize the GPR .50 ....

considering the 93F and 90%H (Hot and Sticky!), still air with not even a breeze, it really did very well.  i did have some pan flashes and failures to spark, but clearly that was the humidity.  in several instances the pan powder was so wet it solidified and would not fall out of the pan when held upside down!  now THAT is WET!  anyhoo, i fired off a few shots with fouling control between them and then fired off 12 balls in a row with no fouling control.  .490 ball, .010 gato feo lubed patch strips, 52 grains of swiss 3f black powder.  on a day like yesterday, with an investarms flint lock, that's purty good.  here's that 25 yard target, offhand ...