Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: touch hole liner woes  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: touch hole liner woes
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »
Rob, on those first pictures you posted, I did notice the thread, and to my eye it didn't look as if there were but maybe three? It was hard to get a count. I always prefer a minimum of 4 threads (though I do shoot a .45 Dickert with a 13/16 barrel and I have 3.5 threads holding that vent in and have never had a problem with it. However, you're dealing with much heavier charges in that smoothbore that I deal with in that .45...

They certainly counter-sunk that vent liner on your smoothy, no doubt about that.

Let me throw this out here;

I normally make my own vent liners from a #5 bolt.

I noticed you said you were going with perhaps a 3/8 liner?

Is it possible you could go with a 5/16 #5 "fine thread" bolt rather then opening up anymore then needed with the 3/8 liner?

Just some thoughts.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 03:13:23 PM »
joe, the flats are 7/16" wide, so that means no problem drilling out the 1/4x28 for white lightnin 5/16x32.  when i drill out, i'll see how much of the countersink goes away, then i'll tap it and see how many threads i'll get.  if it doesn't look ok, i'll drill out for the 3/8x32 white lightnin and that will probably mean the liner's flange will go over the flat and will need filing down - no problem for me, function over form.  in conjunction with the above is how a 5/16" or 3/8" liner will line up with the breech plug, which is already grooved and might need some more work.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
Another idea would be to drill it out larger than the counter sink and drill & tap for a bolt.  install that with thread lock to be flush with the chamber, cut it off even with the barrel flat and then d&t for a new vent liner.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
Another idea would be to drill it out larger than the counter sink and drill & tap for a bolt.  install that with thread lock to be flush with the chamber, cut it off even with the barrel flat and then d&t for a new vent liner.

~Kees~

if i drill out and thread for a 7/16" bolt, i guess there'd be enuf sidewall meat of the bolt to drill and tap for a 1/4x32 liner.  sounds like a lot going on in a pressure ridden area of the barrel?  dunno.  but if it came down to that, i'd do it! 

i think the worse case scenario will be drilling for the 3/8x32 WL liner - that should wipe out the countersink ... but after the liner goes in and gets cut off it'll also require filing at the flats for the part that'll hang over.  might not look so good but at this point i'd rather have a shooting gun than a wall hanger.   :o ;D

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
with the liners and d/t's having arrived a few days ago, yesterday i had the time to forge ahead.  locked the barrel in the drill press vise, lined up the for the 5/16x32 liner bit and had at it.  the resulting hole took out a lot of the original countersink.

before - jackie's knock-off 1/4x28 flush liner and uber deep countersink ...

... drilled open the original vent hole, which removed more than half the original countersink ...

... then i tapped the hole ... it looks reasonably deep on the front (facing the muzzle) and sides ...

...  but less threads for the back because jackie drilled into the breech plug and created a channel in it ...

... installing the vent liner - i can't get it in all the way, there's a whisker's space visible.

i guess that's ok and i'll just file it flush after cutting off the plug end ...

there's a bit of the liner into the barrel.

need to mark and file off or the breech plug would hit it when i screw it back in.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
It's certainly look'in better than it did to start with.  :hairy

I've never understood why some people refuse to allow for "liner/breech face clearance" when building a flinter these days, they only need to split the difference to allow for a liner by inletting the barrel back an additional "hair" and the lock forward a "smidgen" during the build. 

Such things are totally inexcusable when knowing a liner WILL likely be installed sometime during the "life time" of the gun.   
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »
all done.  turned out real nice.  will test it out friday.

needed to file off about 1/16" so the liner would fit flush inside the barrel.  drilled and tapped a piece of steel so that i could do the filing and then freshen the threads when the liner got backed out ...

screwed in the liner and breech plug, using nikal anti-seize lube for both ...

hacksawed off the nub ...

filed it flush ...

drilled the touch hole out to .062" and installed the barrel back to the stock ...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 12:01:59 AM »
That's looking real good, Rob!  :hairy

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 01:33:20 AM »

Couldn't agree more!
 :hairy
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »
No matter how "cheap" it was or is IMO as a life long mechanic there is absolutely no excuse for not using anti-seize or removing a burr. Not even mention the fact you requested a better liner as an option.

I had one of his here purchased it and it did sell. It was a cheap.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 10:39:50 PM »

+1!  Now we need the report on how she functions....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 05:51:44 AM »
she works like she should have whence she first arrived at me.

the JB smoothie is at last fine and dandy, a keeper - the banter of my peanut gallery cronies, priceless.  ;D

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »
Glad to see you making smoke with it Rob,,, as it should have been from the get-go!  :hairy

Looks like you had a great day for shooting, and I noticed in the video right off the feller under the canopy must of hit a long range clanger with his rifle. Was he using a muzzle loader or a black powder cartridge rifle?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 08:07:46 AM »
Glad to see you making smoke with it Rob,,, as it should have been from the get-go!  :hairy

Looks like you had a great day for shooting, and I noticed in the video right off the feller under the canopy must of hit a long range clanger with his rifle. Was he using a muzzle loader or a black powder cartridge rifle?

joe, that's a very private "community range" that i'm privileged to shoot at, with distances out to 700 yards (but longer might be coming, too!). 

a really fine crew of folks, with a grille set up for good eats, and we do imbibe some responsible brews during lunch.  it is a very very rare pleasure to be able to shoot firearms of all types, from muzzleloaders to hi-power match grade centerfire target guns, be amongst such good folk where we're all recognized as quite responsible and safety conscious, and can enjoy freedoms never to be found at any gun range.  for me, worth the hour and a half drive each way.   

i shot bpcr that morning with a sharps .45-70 PPB gun that i was still having chamber troubles with and only fired 5 rounds, 3 striking the 400 yard gong, but fired cases were still sticking in the chamber, problem not fixed.  the weather was cloudy and wet when we got there at 8am, and when i shot the sharps.  late morning the sun broke free as i was testing out the JB smoothie.  i shot paper at 33 yards and a 10" gong at 41 yards, the smoothie (and me) were up to the task and i smashed the gong far more times than not, once even busting it off its shepherds hook.  them big balls pack a wallop.

under the tent, rich took a shot with ed's c.sharps .45-70 PPB cartridge rifle at the 400 yard dinger, and sure enuf he hit it with his first attempt.

very soon, when gun season opens, the "range" will close down 'till next year.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »
Nice video, thanks for posting it.  :hairy That big ball do rock you back, doesn't she!  What load are you using?

Kees
NMLRA Life