Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Uses of a 36 caliber flintlock  (Read 1143 times)

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
Uses of a 36 caliber flintlock
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
I have been looking at 36 caliber rifles and was wondering what uses the 36 is good for - I already have a 50 caliber rifle and a 20 ga fowler.

Is it worth spending the money - I do occasionally shoot prairie dogs and squirrels

Dan'l
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
Re: Uses of a 36 caliber flintlock
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »
It works for rabbits, squirrels, fox, prarie dogs, feral cats, and ground hogs.  They are usually smaller and lighter than larger calibers, so are great for all day small game hunts, and great for kids to learn or to hunt with.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »
What the Loyalist said, and turkeys too. Depends on the state regulations. Also the odd tin can, bar of soap, egg on a string...very effecient and economical on led and powder too.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:52:21 PM »
I've had a couple .32 flinters and love em for squirrels. I've killed groundhogs and once shot a crow with my .32. A friend is building me a .36 and I'm looking forward to finding out the difference between the two calibers.
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline twobarrel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »
:Doh!  Do you really need a reason to get another ML ?
"The natural cure for an ill administration,in a popular or representative constitution,is a change of men."  Alexander Hamilton

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:38:18 AM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
It works for rabbits, squirrels, fox, prarie dogs, feral cats, and ground hogs.  They are usually smaller and lighter than larger calibers, so are great for all day small game hunts, and great for kids to learn or to hunt with.
Quote from: "twobarrel"
:Doh! Do you really need a reason to get another ML ?

What they said.But I do use a .32 exclusively for squirrels. And my .36 for
anything under deer.... .36 not legal for deer in Ohio.It is a great gun in training first time shooters of a M/L. My 10 year old twin grandaughters have fired mine from a bench,and loved it.I am not sure the experience would have been the same offhand.But I do know they were not afraid of shooting
the .36 from the bench,after watching my son fire it. But I am sure the same claims could be made for the .32 or .40. IMO.
John :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Forager

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #498
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration date; 5/25/2021
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »
I figure my best excuse to get a .36, eventually, is that I already have a pretty good supply of roundballs and old T/C Maxi-Balls for a .36.  And, if it's twisted right, I can't see how a .36 wouldn't do well with soft-case HBWCs, etc., from a .358"ish mold.
TMA Member #498, exp: 05/25/2021

Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
National Rifle Association - Life Member
Sportsmen’s Alliance - Member
Virginia Hunter Education Association Lead Instructor
Virginia Bear Hunters Association - Life Member
Virginia Deer Hunters Association - Member

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
Now that would make an interesting squirrel gun there. Proper bore size and fast enough twist to use swagged HBWC. Dang...
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Forager

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #498
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration date; 5/25/2021
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
Figure I've had that thought regarding .32s and .312"s, .36s and .358"s, and .45s and .452"s.  The ability to sling a 90-110 grain pill in the .32, a 148-180 in the .36, and 200-300 in the .45 adds a whole new wrinkle to capabilities, doesn't it?  That, without even discussing other options/capabilities/compatibilities we can't/don't discuss here.
TMA Member #498, exp: 05/25/2021

Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
National Rifle Association - Life Member
Sportsmen’s Alliance - Member
Virginia Hunter Education Association Lead Instructor
Virginia Bear Hunters Association - Life Member
Virginia Deer Hunters Association - Member

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
i have taken coyotes cleanly out 60'-80' yrd's with my .32's,i would think a .36 would be good for about any small game.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »
I have a 36 cal., and I just love it. I got it to squirrel hunt with and just to plink around. I got a few squirrels with it last season and I also used it to spring turkey hunt with this past spring. I can only say good things about it.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Two rifles I have never owned, but always wanted, is a .36 and a .40, and I have owned, at one time or another, probably well over 150 maybe 200 personal guns, sold and / or traded probably well over a thousand or more.....that's what you do when you trying to scratch a living out of a gun shop.

Having said that I will say I have personally owned several, likely six or eight, .32 caliber rifles and I can only see the .36 as being a step or two above the .32, and that is saying something.

I have been more impressed with the energy derived from a lowly .32 than I have by my all time favorite the .58 cal.
With the .58 you are expecting to see something big, bad and ugly happen when you touch one off, you are not expecting that from the lowly .32, but that is just what you get.

I am speaking of a distance of fifty yards or less, I understand they really run out of stream fast at anything over that distance, but my experience with this little stick of dynamite has always been limited to less than fifty yards.

I have never shot any game other than a few squirrels and a wabbit or three with the .32!

However, I have "killed" a ton of rocks, and different size tin cans that looked like they might attack, along with numerous pieces of dangerous looking lumber including 2x4's, 4x4's and assorted 2x6's...and this is where the "impressed part" always came into play....you simply can't believe what happens to a 4x4 until you've popped one with the little "three-two"....... seeing is always believing.
And, since I strongly believe what I just said, I will add that the little "three-two" is NOT the .22 long rifle of muzzleloaders, it is far, far, above and beyond that,  with possible range restrictions...and the .36 should only be more of a good thing.

Just my thoughts.
Like everything else in life your own mileage may vary a bit, but I have a strong feeling that if you own one, or even both of these little rifles, you're going to agree with me.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:17 AM »
Russ,
I have two .32s and one .36. I agree with your 50yd limit on the .32,although
I try to hold mine to 35yds,just because(things get blurry beyond that).I know you don't have  such problems. :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »
I try to hold mine to 35yds,just because(things get blurry beyond that).I know you don't have such problems.

Geeesh, Snake....how nice of you, now I owe ya a nice drink, not because what you said is true, but because I would love to think it's true.....
 :lol sign

I agree with you on that .40...everyone that has one is just to proud of it to sell it to a "po boy", like me.

I did see a .40 T/C for sale at a local Gun Show a few years back, some kind of "Competition" rifle, only 1,000 or some such made, but they wanted three times what a regular T/C would cost so I didn't get much further than the price tag.
Got me to thinking hard about an IBS!

Do you think the .36 is 'significantly' more then the little "three-two"? or just border line more?
Having never owned one, I always thought they may well be something like a .32 with an attitude, but that is pure speculation on my part.

I have found the old rule of "bigger is better" is a fairly sound rule, when it comes to hunting big game with muzzleloaders, and should likely be adhered to by anyone hunting deer on up, but for small game, handiness, accuracy, plinking, and just plain fun, you will have to look hard to beat the little .32.  

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »
My first flintlock was a .32 Poorboy built by J. Brennan. It was a squirrel killin machine, my load was 30gr 3FFF behind a .310 ball. As for only being a shorter range gun I won a 100yd match with that little .32. It was a windy day and I think the wind was affecting the little pea size ball less than the bigger calibers that day. I sold that gun in a weak moment one of those things that you regret later.  :Doh!

As a side note, if you like squirrel meat, best go for head shots with either a .32 or .36

Here's a good morning with the .32 many many years ago.

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter