Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fitting a Patchbox  (Read 1329 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Fitting a Patchbox
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:01:51 PM »
I've wanted a patch box on the Hodgepodge Rifle for years, finally got up the nerve to butcher the stock and add one.  It's not going to be anything fancy but it should be usable.  Anyway, I carved out for the hinge so I could get the patch box down on the wood. I marked around it with a fine Sharpy and used an Exacto knife to cut the edge of the inletting, then started removing wood with a chisel.  However, in a couple of spots said chisel slipped past the cut line and now I have a couple of small chips out beyond the inletting.   :Doh! I think I can fill them in with a mix of glue and sawdust; does anyone have a better solution than that?  I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of work, just feeling my way along, doing what seems like the logical way to go about it.   :pray:

It will be a simple patch box, much like what you see on a Harper's Ferry 1803 rifle.  So no side pieces.  No latch either, I plan on using an over-center spring.  I'll have to take some photos and post them later....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
Re: Fitting a Patchbox
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:37:25 AM »
I am not an expert but I would not use glue and sawdust.  I would glue on a piece of the stock wood left over from cutting out the patchbox and try and match the grain.  Then re inlet it or sand it as I don't know how big the chips are.  Also stain it before you glue the chip in otherwise you will never get the stain to take after gluing.  Good luck...…. :hairy

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
They are small chips, just enough to make the edge look ragged.  Not very deep either, so I may just leave them and stain, and hope for the best!  :pray:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
Winter Hawk

If the "chips" are not large, do your install and rub some bees wax into the voids. If they are smallish, time will make them disappear as the bees wax will absorb oils, dirt, etc and the "chips"  will vanish. It worked for me on a ramrod thimble inlet. It may work for you as well. Good luck with your project.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 02:02:59 PM »
doggoner, I'm glad you mentioned that as I was thinking along those very same lines, figuring that the patch box (just as your thimble) is something that would never be removed - unless it was transferred to another build.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 08:29:57 PM »
Ohio Joe

If you transfered them to another build, you get a chance to not make the small boo-boo's. However, as you'd be older and more apt to be twichy, the bees wax trick would work again. It helped me on my next build. The little boo-boo's are the proof that it was hand made. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 11:49:32 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I've been off line for a bit, will probably be gone again after tonight.  The patch box is coming along nicely, not too many screw ups to fix.  When it's all said and done I may post a foto if you all promise not to laugh!   :laffing

~Kees~
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:10:09 PM by Winter Hawk »
NMLRA Life

Offline garrettep3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
Go to your local home improvement store and get one of the coloured wax "crayons" for filling dents in furniture. They come in several shades and also work well for covering barrel pins. ;)