Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Wow!...... I've never seen this done before  (Read 1730 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Wow!...... I've never seen this done before
« on: December 18, 2019, 12:38:09 AM »
I brought this over from the American Longrifle forum to share with you folks.
Some fella bought this rifle and posted pictures of it on Facebook.

A fellow posted pics of a new "Hawken" he picked up. It's built with a large Siler lock.. notice anything odd about that single lock bolt???

I can honestly say,.... I've never seen a lock bolt hole drilled through a breech plug before.  :lol sign  :Doh!
I hope the fella bought it to use as a "wall hanger",.... or plans to salvage the good parts off the rifle.  :bl th up

"Corrective surgery" would be a couple different things,.... he could cut the barrel off (ahead of the drum) at the breech end, re-tap the breech and set the barrel back with a new breech plug, and move the barrel tenons, and move the lock bolt back where it should be, and move the key tenons forward, in order to make it safe to shoot.

Or,.... he could get a new barrel and mount it (along with new wedge tenons, under-rib, & sights) to the stock, and re-position the lock bolt back where it belongs after fixing the misplaced lock bolt hole in the lock plate AND the stock.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Wow!...... I've never seen this done before
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 03:31:58 AM »
I saw that earlier, pretty scarry considering a beginner may not know the diference. Smh
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:28:17 AM »
Hard to believe the guy was actually shooting it.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 07:42:50 AM »
It sure defeats the purpose of a "hooked breech",... as well as being unsafe.  :Doh!
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »
Not a good setup at all, IMHO... Very little safety thoughts went into this build, whoever built this rifle... I wouldn't shoot it,,, and I darn sure wouldn't be around anyone who was shooting it...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 03:48:10 AM »
I've been seein pictures of this rifle for the past week or so on   the internt.
There's several stories surrounding this rifle, one of those stories indicate it has a pinned breech, which is unusual but not totallt unheard of, The full picture of the gun reveals it has a Davis trigger, and "maybe" a Davis lock.

The overall stock can be seen as definitely a semi-custom high gloss finish, and it's possibly a modified kit gun finished by the new owner, not the original owner.
It 'supposedly' has a Green Mountain slow twist barrel in 35".

In the full length picture, I really like the looks of the gun, especially the forend of the stock in the pictures I've seen.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
I've been seein pictures of this rifle for the past week or so on   the internt.
There's several stories surrounding this rifle, one of those stories indicate it has a pinned breech, which is unusual but not totallt unheard of, The full picture of the gun reveals it has a Davis trigger, and "maybe" a Davis lock.

The overall stock can be seen as definitely a semi-custom high gloss finish, and it's possibly a modified kit gun finished by the new owner, not the original owner.
It 'supposedly' has a Green Mountain slow twist barrel in 35".

In the full length picture, I really like the looks of the gun, especially the forend of the stock in the pictures I've seen.

I've never heard of one,.... pointing me towards some references would be much appreciated. :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Reactor

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »
I hope that screw is all thread.  That may be his only saving grace.   

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
Looking at where the nipple is, and if that is a regular breech plug rather than patent, the bolt goes through the breech plug and there is probably 3/16" or more metal between the face of the plug and the front of the bolt hole.  That is more metal than in the barrel wall so I would think it is safe to shoot.  Doesn't need all thread although it would be a pain to have to remove the lock bolt every time you want to remove the barrel.  If the barrel is pinned rather than being held by wedges that would be a moot point anyway!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Spotted Bull

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 09:40:13 PM »
Looking at where the nipple is, and if that is a regular breech plug rather than patent, the bolt goes through the breech plug and there is probably 3/16" or more metal between the face of the plug and the front of the bolt hole.  That is more metal than in the barrel wall so I would think it is safe to shoot.  Doesn't need all thread although it would be a pain to have to remove the lock bolt every time you want to remove the barrel.  If the barrel is pinned rather than being held by wedges that would be a moot point anyway!

~Kees~

Wow! Never even thought about it going through the breach...

Guess thats why we pay you the big bucks!