Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Restorations  (Read 1477 times)

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
Restorations
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
Restoration of antique muzzle loading shotguns come in three categorys, good ,fair, and poor. The good ones are those in pristine condition most are cased with accessiors  these requiry no restoration , Next come the fair ones , most are in a dirty condition with a few dents to the barrels and maybe a small chip in the stock.These can be easly restored the crime can be removed with mild wax remover solution the checkering can be cleaned with a tooth brush ,dents are then lifted and chips in the stock filled with a wood filler,this is a type of restoration that  is easly taken too far by some restorers ,such has recutting the checkering there is nothing worse than a 150 year old gun with crisp checkering ,there is a rule that restorers should apply which is if in doubt leave it be.
The last is the poor ,most of these are scrapped and broken up for spares ,I do believe that with a lot of patience and carefull restoration most of these can be restored ,they are part of our gun heritage which we must account for future generations.I have enclosed images of the poor type before and after.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Restorations
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
With no response to this topic it seems that restoring of antique weapons is not widely practiced
Feltwad

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »
I am very interested in this particular topic, but missed it.  

First off, I'd say your efforts are not widely practiced over here.  There are many builders and stockers, but restorers...?  Not really.  I couldn't be more disappointed, either.  There is an abundance of mid-19th century smoothbores, yet not many who want to bring them back to life.  If someone disagrees with me about this, I hope they speak up.  I have three wall hangers right now, two of which I'd love to see restored to shootable condition, if the timing and price is right.  I left one of them with a builder a long time ago, despite his comment that he dosn't like to mess with that old stuff.  Not sure it will look any different when I get it back.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:53:32 AM »
Feltwad, I love the topic of "Restoration". Nothing appeals to me more than seeing a firearm, or anything else for that matter, that has seen it's better days long ago, taken in and given new life.

Bravo on your efforts here. That double smoothbore was in seriously rough shape, and the "After" photo shows us whats really under all those years of neglect.

Thanks for sharing this with us!  :shake
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline Supercracker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
I have an ongoing "restoration" project right now for an 1880s breech loader and another genuine restoration of a fair to poor German 16Ga double percussion gun just waiting for me to get the time.

I agree about people going to far with the stock work. I just received a GORGEOUS Belgian 12Ga double percussion with great engraving, carved dolphin hammers, silver and gold inlays and in great mechanical shape. The bores are even still shiny. The proofs put it at 1850-1880 but the stock looks like it was made yesterday. :(     At some point it broke completely through the wrist and was repaired (looks to be a fairly good job) but at the same time they completely recut all of the checkering to modern pointed, sharp pyramids.  I must say, it is an excellent checking job, just not appropriate for this gun. Great wood too.
Member #636
Expires 7/17/2012

Offline Supercracker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
I have to ask, what are you using for removing crud from the crevices in the stock and checkering valleys?
Member #636
Expires 7/17/2012

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 07:24:12 PM »
How do you guys handle the hardware on a silver or brass mounted piece Feltwad?

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 02:25:36 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Jas."
How do you guys handle the hardware on a silver or brass mounted piece Feltwad?
For brass and silver  gun furniture I prefer to leave alone ,if it is dirty with dirt and grime I use a fine  steel wool with a wax and polish remover solution and LIGHTLY rub  just to remove the grime and not the patina.
For removing the grime from checkering using a stiff brissle toothbrush and  the same solution working with the lines of the checkering,do not use a rotation movement it will break of the checkering.
Feltwad

A Flint Lock will not sercure a chicken house door

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »
Have to agree with others here, not many seem to enjoy the old and battle worn smoothies. Over the years I,ve cleaned up (restored) a few for friends . Would liked to have had time to do more .
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
Have to agree with others here, not many seem to enjoy the old and battle worn smoothies.
It may be because here in the UK we have more types of originals to choose from, Be it muzzle loading rifle , shotgun or single shot pistols most use originals, repros such has the Parker-Hale Enfields and the percussion revolvers  are used .In the States the repro are the most favoured  maybe it is because originals are few .
Feltwad

Offline Pete_Sheeran

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
Feltwad,
Very nicely done!  The shot gun in the photos is very interesting, I seldom ever see any wood other that walnut in old American, English and Belgium shotguns.  Did you re-stock it?  That is beautiful curly maple or an exceptional  job of Faux stripping!  Can you tell us anything else about the shotgun?  maker, proofs locks?  I could not read the lock maker name but it looked like Birmingham under the name.

Pete
#185 Expires 4/16/12

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 03:12:49 AM »
Quote from: "Pete_Sheeran"
Feltwad,
 Did you re-stock it?  That is beautiful curly maple or an exceptional  job of Faux stripping!  Can you tell us anything else about the shotgun?  maker, proofs locks?  I could not read the lock maker name but it looked like Birmingham under the name.

Pete
Pete.
The gun is buy Charles Drenham,I could not find any records of this name so I assume it is a ironmonger or such this was common in that period for ironmongers to buy guns from the Birmingham gun makers and put their name on them.The gun was proofed at the Birmingham proof house with the crossed sceptres under a crown , it also shows the provincial proof marks and the definete proof marks plus the  letter V under the crown which is the viewer,s mark and the gauge number 14
The gun has 30inch Damascus  stub twist barrels these were in a poor state they were to strip down to the bare mettle and the loose ribs  were to resolder.The gauge is a 14  which in muzzle loading shotguns was a common gauge although guns were made in every gauge. What you see in the finished image at the beginning of this thread is all original ,the stock is English walnut and original with the dirt and grime removed but still leaving the original patina, it is not a restock.
Feltwad

Offline Pete_Sheeran

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
Walnut with such consistant curly is very rare.  I have not come across any blanks that had that good a curl figuare.  Thank's for the additional info on the fantastic restoration of your 14 ga.

Pete
#185 Expires 4/16/12

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 02:13:30 AM »
Quote from: "Pete_Sheeran"
Walnut with such consistant curly is very rare.  I have not come across any blanks that had that good a curl figuare.  Thank's for the additional info on the fantastic restoration of your 14 ga.

Pete
Pete i have worked on several muzzle loading shotguns in both flint and percussion with this type of curl in English walnut it is not rare ,fiddleback is more rare ,birds eye maple is also ,the latter is often found on guns and rifles by the famous gun make Joseph Manton
Feltwad

Types of English Walnut

Offline Supercracker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
gorgeous
Member #636
Expires 7/17/2012