Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Use of "tacks" on a stock???  (Read 1628 times)

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Use of "tacks" on a stock???
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »
Over the years I have seen a few rifles with brass tacks on the stock that looked really good, to my eyes.
At the same time I have seen triple that number that looked downright "tacky" with zero appeal to the eye.
Having said that, I suspect the question is really....what makes that difference?
In my eyes, to many tacks appear flat out over-embellished, and takes away from the intended effect.
To few tacks looks as though you started, but then you changed your mind.

Where is that happy medium?

Someone here on the forum owns a rifle, that I have seen pictures of before, but for the life of me I can't locate those pictures in the gallery. IIRC the rifle is a plain New Englander although it could have a CVA. It has been a long time since I gave this any consideration so I have forgotten which rifle it really was.
Something, in the back of my mind is saying it was nobber, or Gobbler. I haven't seen or heard from Gobbler for some time now, hopefully he will chime in here now.

Another question is...I have a favorite old Renegade that I would like to do this to. I think all my Hawkens have enough, if not to much, 'bling" already. and I think the plain old Renegade would be the right choice here...do those who know agree with me on this point?

Another question would be the size of tack? I'm not sure but I "think" I like the smaller, low domed tack, that is offered by TOTW.
Is "brass plated" sufficient, or should I use real brass tacks and if so, where do you recommend I get them?

I will be sending my stock to gunmaker here pretty soon for some other "stuff" and I would like for him to add the tacks while he has the stock....but, I gotta get the right tacks first, and know, or at least have an idea, about where he's going to put 'em.

Any ideas or recommendations would be truly appreciated.

Thank you, Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
Re: Use of "tacks" on a stock???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
I don't have any pics, but I've seen where it looks really neat and also when it didn't look so great.  I'll bet in the old days, they'd punch 'em in and be proud, regardless...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline StaticXD00d

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
I'm not a fan... but I have seen a couple of rifles where it was done tastefully and I thought it was okay. I think if you had a story to go with them it would make it better for me... like, add another tack every time you make meat, or take a scalp...  :lol
Charter Member #56

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
A previous post on the same subject with a bunch of pictures. Maybe there's something in there that trips your trigger.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
Quote from: "biliff"
A previous post on the same subject with a bunch of pictures. Maybe there's something in there that trips your trigger.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10120&p=102479&hilit=Tacks#p102479

The majority of that is a little on the "heavy" side for my taste, but thanks for bringing that oldie back.
I have to admit that there was a time in life when any of those would have tripped my trigger, but old age seems to be a lot more boring.

One of the guys here has shown pictures of something similar to what I would like to do....if I could just remember who it was, dangnabit!.

I know what John (Static) is saying,  I even held that same line of thought for a long time.
However, I would need a pretty long stock if I was to put on one for each deer I have killed with this old gun, even if I tried to remember all of 'em...and I would end up with a lot of tacks left over if I used one for every Elk I've ever killed with a muzzleloader, but then I could put one on each side of the forearm and have one for the stock!  :oops:

Here is what I'm thinking.....if you can picture this in your mind?
Forearm....2 before the wedge key, 2 afterwards. (2 maybe 3???)
Stock....4 down the butt, 4 at bottom edge of the stock going toward the trigger.
(the last one of the four on the toe, going down, would be the first one for the other three going forward to also make four....does that make sense?)

*I tried to scan a picture of what I'm trying to tell ya, but it went south on me....twice!
So, maybe you can picture this in your mind...LOL

Thanks guys!

Uncle Russ...

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:09:25 AM »
Uncle Russ - just photoshop a few trials on pictures of your gun and see what you
think before you start pounding holes in it.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »
I did it once and regretted it. But if it's what you want to do, I'd go with actual brass tacks. They can be found online. Look for furniture upholstery sites.

Mario

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
I don't care at all for the versions in that link, but I have seen some NW trade guns with tacks that looked decent.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline StaticXD00d

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Quote from: "biliff"

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10120&p=102479&hilit=Tacks#p102479

The majority of that is a little on the "heavy" side for my taste, but thanks for bringing that oldie back.
I have to admit that there was a time in life when any of those would have tripped my trigger, but old age seems to be a lot more boring.

One of the guys here has shown pictures of something similar to what I would like to do....if I could just remember who it was, dangnabit!.

I know what John (Static) is saying,  I even held that same line of thought for a long time.
However, I would need a pretty long stock if I was to put on one for each deer I have killed with this old gun, even if I tried to remember all of 'em...and I would end up with a lot of tacks left over if I used one for every Elk I've ever killed with a muzzleloader, but then I could put one on each side of the forearm and have one for the stock!  :bl th up
Charter Member #56

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »
I'm not too keen on tacks, period.  Must say, however, that I've seen a few that ranged from "not that bad" to "neat".  No way I'd ever put a tack on one of my "nice" rifles but wouldn't hesitate (and never have) to put them on a beater.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
here is how mine turned out. i dont think it turned out too over the top,but i dont think i would do it to another rifle.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »
That looks pretty good David...."not over the top" as you said but it definitely has tacks.
Actually, rather tasteful for a Longrifle in my eyes.

As previously stated, I don't want to put a tack on any of my nice / nicer rifles either.
But this old Renegade of mine has been around awhile and it's just something I thought I would do to maybe liven the old plain jane girl up a bit....ain't never had tacks before and I thought they might make me look younger.....well, maybe just a little bit younger.

After reading all the comments I'm thinking now that all this just may not happen.

Still yet, if that gun I saw here on the forum was to show up again, I would sure love to see, once again, just what the heck he did to catch my eye and plant this thought in my old head.

Russ...

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
I've only added tacks to one gun, lil fuzzee' cause I wanted to portray a great lakes injun canoe gun of the times. Little grand sons going to carry it @ rondys if we can hold him still long enough to give him a "Mohawk"  hoping his mother doesn't catch us first.  I don't think I would put tacks on a nice long rifle either.  But they can be eye catching    ...Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
Myself Russ , I would say to remember such decoration is about you . Its not about others or what others like , its about what you like . Frankly , IMO that’s where all these tack  guns stem from . They are what the person like and so they did it .
 I would agree with Fletcher . Take photo of your rifle and then use photo shop to  add some tacks .
 Take your time and  make several different designs .  Then set back and look them over for a few weeks .
 I would also agree with Mario and use the proper tacks  to start with

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
Found a tacked Tradegun under Gobbler's images:

Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.