Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Gathering Parts For My New "Retirement" Rifle Build  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Gathering Parts For My New "Retirement" Rifle Build
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 11:20:08 PM »
I surely can't complain about the one I have on my T-C!  The cock comes down with real authority, let me tell you, and it's real easy on flints.  On top of which, I sold the original T-C lock so the L&R only cost me $50.  Only problem was that I kind of buggered up the inletting when I mounted it.  It's filled with colored bedding epoxy and isn't really noticeable but it really pops out in a photo.  But that doesn't hurt performance one bit!

I read where someone, I don't remember who, was in at the L&R shop when an irate client came in saying that their locks weren't worth a hoot.  The shop owner looked it over and it was dry as a bone.  He lubricated it and it worked fine, but the customer was not satisfied and got his money back.  I believe the directions do specify that you need to keep it greased....

-Kees-

Mine didn't come with any directions, but that's okay as I always polish up the pan and areas where powder may cake to they lock and I always lubricate my lock's moving parts.

I know some folks who don't lubricate their internal parts and they always seem to have troubles down the road. The most often thing I here is that they don't lube because they don't want their lock drawing dirt or powder particles to jam it up... Clean lubricated parts are happy - dependable parts.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
Geez Louise, how difficult is it to clean and lubricate a lock? :P  Makes you wonder about such folks... ::)

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
Geez Louise, how difficult is it to clean and lubricate a lock? :P  Makes you wonder about such folks... ::)

My thoughts pre-zactly!

My Grandson once asked me why clean the Lock all the time?
That is until I put his lock in a sonic-cleaner, even a 21 year old can "see the light", once they see what comes out of a lock that hasn't been cleaned for several years....lubricating should be clear as a crystal bell as you have moving parts moving against each other.

Still yet, it still happens all the time.
Shoot 'em, wipe 'em a little bit, spray some WD-40, and put 'em away 'till the next time.
You can get away with that, for awhile. But the boogyman is going to get'cha, at the most inopportune time.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »
A properly inletted lock won't let any dirt or powder in behind it. Certainly not from one shooting session.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 05:55:46 PM »
That's true Hank, but I like to wash the powder fouling out of the pan and parts of the cock before I reinstall the lock.  The entire operation, i.e., using warm water and an old toothbrush, rinsing, spraying with WD-40, and re-lubing the next day takes less than 5 minutes.  Putting it back into the stock the next day takes less than 2 minutes....and I never have lock (or rust) problems either.  Btw, I do the same with my percussion locks with no issues there either.

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »
That would be a +1 for me as well Paul,,,,,, :hairy

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »
I clean everything regardless if I take only one shot. That rifle will be cleaned and lubed completely before I store it.  Everyone has their own way of doing things. This is just my way for what I own.  :shake

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:13 PM »
I clean after every outing also. Didn't mean to give the impression otherwise.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 06:08:36 AM »
I clean after every outing also. Didn't mean to give the impression otherwise.

I had no doubt about that, Hank.  :bl th up

I did read one time that for an enlarged lock mortises (through wear or original inlet) that it wasn't uncommon to use wax (I assume Bees Wax) to fill in those areas and also to water-proof the lock, and to also wax around the pan to water proof it.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 08:59:29 AM »
FWIW:
If anyone thinks their Lock, or Trigger, never gets dirt, dust, grime on them, I would suggest taking another look, especially if you use WD-40, as most of us do.

If someone has used a lot of WD-40 over the years....and didn't wipe it off as we should have, it builds-up over time as a "clear, varnish" looking substance.
Something I was personally very guilty of doing for years on end.

From the time I discovered the wonders of WD-40 I used it on everything, lots of it, not wiping, but just "slinging", or "shaking" the excess off.
It has kept many a 1911 shooting and ejecting for years on end, and will likely continue to do so.
It has, in all probability, been used on every muzzleloader ever made, or at least some part of that muzzleloader,

In the 1990's I attended CST (Colorado School of Trades / Gunsmithing) and the very first day of introduction to the Class, we were all told...."You can't use WD-40 in this School, if you are caught with a can on your bench, or in your locker, it is an automatic 3 day suspension that must be made up before Graduation, 2 years from this date. If you are caught a second time, you are gone!"
Needless to say, that caught my attention.
So, I made it a point to find out why that rule was so tough....and, it didn't take me very long, likely the very first month I was in Basic to see why that rule was so stringently enforced.

CST is billed as the largest Gunsmithing Shop in the Free World....each day they process dozens and dozens of gun through that shop, with all monies going back to the School....they are also the least expensive of all gun repair shops because all the work is done by the students under supervision of the Instructors...after Basic Shop, D&F (Design & Function) and 3 months in Stock Work, each student is then State Certified on the Mill, Lathe, and the 3 Welding types, and then every graduating student must repair 100 guns in order to graduate....Afterall, they are going to train you in 2 years to walk right into your own shop, or, maybe, if you are real lucky, work for one of the larger Gun Companies.
That process of assigning guns for repair is much like taking a ticket at the DMV to get your Drivers License...you never know what's coming next.
You pull a ticket and take it to the Supply Room Counter and you receive the next available Firearm.
A Firearm that you become totally responsible for, the student has no choice insofar as if it's a Rifle, or a Handgun, he simply picks up the NEXT firearm, no matter why it was brought in or what it was brought in for, but whatever it is, that is the student's next assigned project, which will be repaired, go through 3 safety checks, test fired, graded, and cleaned again before that Gun is released back to the Customer.

Due to the close tolerances of all guns, the number one cause of malfunction and a trip to the repair shop, is simply a dirty gun.
The best method for cleaning a gun or gun parts is the use of a Sonic Cleaner, and the School owned a lot of those, they were located two, sometimes three, in ever shop section, with some as large as 30"L by 12'W by 10"D.

If you take a trigger, or a lock, and run it through a Sonic cleaner you will see a lot of small "Crystals" in the bottom of the pan....it's hard to describe this without a picture, but it's tiny, tiny, little pieces of varnish that closely resembles glass particles....that is WD-40 you see!

If the weapon or part is really dirty, there will be other colors but mostly black, and that makes those little "crystals" stand out like a sore thumb.
BTW: CST recommends a very light coat of plain ol' 3-N-1 oil above all other products for lubing a firearm.
I feel confident that in the last 20 plus years, with all the major new products on the market, they may have changed...but from their establishment in 1947 until the 1990's their preferred lube never changed, maybe it has by now, I don't know.   

Such buildup, when allowed to continue, can simply "freeze" a gun up.

In our field of interest, ie, muzzleloaders we don't see this as much because we are always cleaning and wiping due to our propellant being Black Powder....but Black Powder brings with it the responsibility of more cleanings, more wiping, more pampering, than our Smokeless counterparts.

Morale of this long and boring story;
WD-40 is a Water Displacement tool, and a very good one at that.
If you use it, be sure to wipe the part good, and never fail to use a good Lubricant AFTER you use WD-40.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 09:58:49 AM »
Very informative Russ, thanks!  :bl th up

I will admit that I keep WD-40 on hand with the little red blast tube in case I have to blast a part that needs some attention because of a grime build up. Afterwards I follow that with an alcohol (91% or better) Q-tip and pipe cleaner - then its gets the BC Sheath Rust preventive once the area is completely dry.

(I can't say why I do this - it must be something I read or was told a lot of years back, perhaps so far back I just can't recall???

Now don't get me wrong 'cause I'm just a guilty as a lot of others with that WD-40, and when I was younger I did use a'lot of WD-40 for cleaning purposes but I never relied on it as the final coat of lube that I can recall.  :shake

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »
Good werds Russ.I lerned years ago not to spay W-D-40 and call it good.I gunctup a gun that I had to take to the gunsmirh to get cleand up. I toled the guy what I was doing and he roled his eyes and said don't do that any more and the said that will be 3 0.00 bucks. :o

Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »
Roaddog

As with any professional, you pay for what they know not so much what they do. I never understood why folks would pay for an office call at the doctor and then tell everyone that would listen that the doctor didn't know what they were doing. Aunt Millie (or Gandma or---) always used XXXXXXXXX and it cured  everyone in just a few days.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.