Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Living history  (Read 523 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Living history
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:49:59 AM »
I recently met a member of KMA( Kansas Muzzleloding Assoc.) and he invited me to join his camp at an event. Downtown Wichita, there is a city within a city, its Cowtown ,a full living history city with original buildings from the area dating back to as early as before the civil war.
It has been over 10 yrs since they have had a fur trade and buffalo hunter camp setup. Just a few weeks ago, a new executive director was appointed, and this is one of her first changes. To add a little earlier time period to town ,thus adding a little more local history variety. There is a website if you are interest to read up more on this.
All members of camp had a skill or demonstration to offer visitors, mine was powder horn construction.
We had 10 camps.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:55:59 AM by ridjrunr »
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Living history
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 02:54:17 AM »
The motly crew and director in front with jeans on.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Bison Horn

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »
Boy Dan that sounds like great times, sure miss having ya around but know there is alot going up that way. BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
That truly shines, Dan.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
That truly shines, Dan.
Yes it does!!!!!!!!!  :happy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:30:08 AM »
Thanks, I had never been involved in a public type event before, so didnt know what to expect. When the visitors came out through the visitor center, we were the first thing they ran across on the walking path to the actual cowtown. Lots of curious looks ,several questions from one extreme to the other. "Is that a real horn"?, "Are those furs real"? And some tourists from across the pond,England,Germany and Australia who really were interested.
The director of the museum was thrilled and had recieved good feedback about "the camp". Sounds like there will be a next time and we hope to get permission to fire some dummy rounds for the curious.
I had one little guy ask me about my long gun ( nw trade gun) so I explained rock flint spark fire etc. and then showed him some flint to frizzen action. His eyes got big upon seeing the sparks and later in town, he saw me again and came and said"hi mr. "shaking my hand. I think that little shaver will remember that demo and just maybe a seed has been planted!
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21