Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: NMLRA Dec 2017  (Read 465 times)

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
NMLRA Dec 2017
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
Look at the back cover of this very traditional organization's December issue.

I expressed, mildly, my view to nmlra.org
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: NMLRA Dec 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
Can't... I let the NMLRA know I have no interest in giving them money to promote non-traditional muzzle loading firearms and their usage. So I can only imagine the lines they've crossed once again...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
http://www.nmlra.org/the-question-of-in-lines/

I have never shot an inline ml and have no real use for one. But I see no problem with the NMLRA embracing inlines as a non-traditional genre of the sport/hobby. They are not traditional. They are modern. Two different critters... nothing wrong with that. I just have no interest in them. My interest is traditional.

90% of 4 million is a big number... and they have as much right to do their kind of fun in the woods as we traditional ML enthusiasts do. I am not a huge supporter of muzzleloading hunting seasons.  I just don't fuss with them. When I hunt with my traditional ml, its during the modern season. What other folk choose to do is their business.

Hey if the NMLRA promotes target practice with inlines, thats a good thing. The inline hunting sport needs to be ethical and practice is how that happens. Also the inline is often a gateway to more traditional pursuits. Let them in and give them big hug. Then expose them to true traditional guns and who knows?

If the average age of traditional ml enthusiasts is 70? All I can say is... hmmmmmm. something to think on.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:46:50 AM by AxelP »

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
This is nothing new.  I was going through my bookshelf and found a couple of Dixie's Black Powder Annuals from 1993 and 1995 - both have ads from the NMLRA embracing the "new" inlines.  Still, I believe the mission statement says that they support traditional muzzle loading guns and I personally don't think that the plastic guns are included in that description.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline In Over My Head

• TMA Forum Member
  • Claude Heale
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:27:18 PM »
I am looking at the rear cover of Muzzle Blasts as I type.  I thought I saw an image of an engraved SxS caplock shotgun.  Oops it has a barrel unlocking lever, it must be a cartridge gun with sidelocks and external hammers.

Not an inline but not a muzzleloader either.  But it is a gun that might very well be fired in matches at Friendship with black powder cartridges I believe.  And it is a very pretty gun!

As far as the underlying argument:  If the NMLRA has to stray a bit from its mission in order to be able to survive to serve its mission, that just seems to be the way it goes in life.  I'd rather see them survive to advance their mission by serving a somewhat broader range of interest than die a noble death and not serve their mission at all.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »
I think if they had addressed their problems back when all of this "modern muzzleloading" started, they would have just been fine, but they threw out their "mission" objective and just made some very bad choices that cost them membership rather then retain and growing their membership through the core value of their mission statement, and the (at the time) up and coming traditional muzzle loading young folks.

Those that left the NMLRA because of this issue, also took with them potential future supporters.  This the (NMLRA) did to themselves... They can't be hurting all that much as this whole issue has not once stopped them from expanding.

If they're in dire straights, it's of their own doing when they allowed their BoD to get away with not enforcing their Mission Statement of their organization. It's always easier to blame something else for a problem then actually fixing the very problem that got them in the situation they are now. If they truly are in a situation? Perhaps it's just scare tactic ploy to re'build membership...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »

If the average age of traditional ml enthusiasts is 70? All I can say is... hmmmmmm. something to think on.

Finally, I am above average on something. :lol sign
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »
Since 1933 the NMLRA was the very glue that held together the common interest of Traditional Muzzleloaders, every where.

FWIW; The following is my understanding of how all this nonsense came about.

The 70 plus year tradition of the NMLRA beginning back in 1933, was all flushed down the drain in 2003 / 2004 when the Marketers and Manufactures of the then rather new Muzzleloader, referred to as a "in-line", convinced the BoD at the NMLRA, along with majority of State Game Departments, that it was a win-win for everybody concerned, including the Sportsman, as their adoption of this "new rifle" would sell more Hunting Licenses, and allow more people to enjoy the outdoors, all while increasing the membership of the NMLRA....their biggest positive argument for this enormous and risky move was; "it loaded from the front".

Many of us were around at that time, and many of us had been very active with the NMLRA, and had put up a lot of out-of-pocket cash lobbying State Game Departments during the 1970's, 1980's, for "a special Muzzleloading Season for Traditional Muzzleloaders using a side lock". Memberships in the NMLRA skyrocketed while all that was happening!
Many States even passed laws regarding special seasons for Muzzleloading ONLY.

At the time, our selling point to the Public to get these new seasons passed was that of "safety", as a traditional muzzleloader of the day was accepted as a short range gun.
If a Shotgun, shooting slugs, could safely be used to hunt with in that area, a traditional side-lock, which would be exposed to the elements, would most certainly be less of a danger to the General Public.
And, to separate the two, these "more primitive" guns would have their own season.

However, when the Game Departments heard from the Manufacturers and Marketers that they could sell a lot more Hunting Licenses, thus creating a lot more revenue by allowing the inline, many of these States, and "strapped for revenue" Departments, jumped at the chance to build that revenue in anyway they could.
 One aspect of this was Game Departments would not have to go back to the Public for a Special Season as it was already there, these newer in-lines would use the same season, previously established for Traditional Muzzleloaders...and that my friend is when the fight started!   

The 'bean counters' within the NMLRA wanted very badly to increase their own Membership along with their income, and the motion was brought before the BoD...my understanding is it failed once, early on because of the many write-in votes, but it did pass in 2003.

Active Membership of the NMLRA fell to a dangerous level about 2004, but has seen something of a steady growth ever since, trying hard to regain the levels of pre 2000 and 2001.... the in-liners simply have not provided that active Membership the NMLRA had expected.

However, at the same time, the truly traditional minded supporter left in droves in 2004, with cries to shut the NMLRA down.
That is also about the time I dropped my own Membership.

Looking back........I am now glad the NMLRA did not shut down completely, as it still provides a venue for the traditional minded shooter. Nothing like before, but nonetheless a National venue.
They still have a magazine that many enjoy, on both sides of the argument.

The Game Departments' across this Nation are more interested in income than any other segment of their purview....and the reason is simple enough, because income is a necessary evil for any program anywhere to be effective, and we all want to be effective, even us old knot head Traditionalist. 

Just my opinion!

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
Russ, I think you have captured everything to be said about the NMLRA, the inline manufacturers and the traditionalists.  Good job and well expressed.

And now, if I may, I would like to say one thing about the NMLRA in a positive manner.  As everyone who has ever attended the Spring and Fall shoots there at Friendship, IN may well attest, them boys know how to put on one heck of a good target shoot, whether it be 10 ring competition, or silhouettes, or slug gun or trail walks or trap and skeet or pistol or whatever, it is a real pleasure to shoot there.  To me, my favorite match is the silhouette range, first relay of the day.  What a joy it is to shoot that.  One of these days, I might actually go back there again and shoot silhouettes.  Or not, we will just have to see on that.  In the meantime I do have some great memories of that.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »
Russ, I think you have captured everything to be said about the NMLRA, the inline manufacturers and the traditionalists.  Good job and well expressed.

And now, if I may, I would like to say one thing about the NMLRA in a positive manner.  As everyone who has ever attended the Spring and Fall shoots there at Friendship, IN may well attest, them boys know how to put on one heck of a good target shoot, whether it be 10 ring competition, or silhouettes, or slug gun or trail walks or trap and skeet or pistol or whatever, it is a real pleasure to shoot there.  To me, my favorite match is the silhouette range, first relay of the day.  What a joy it is to shoot that.  One of these days, I might actually go back there again and shoot silhouettes.  Or not, we will just have to see on that.  In the meantime I do have some great memories of that.

I would even agree with that, John.