Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Unscientific .36 cal experiment  (Read 69 times)

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
Unscientific .36 cal experiment
« on: May 26, 2024, 05:28:48 PM »
I recently bought my first smoothbore, a .36 cal Ethan Allen SxS caplock pistol (obviously not an original) which takes .350 balls. I bought a box of Hornady swaged balls but being the frugal guy that I am I saw that 000 buckshot is the same diameter. Hornady 000 is also swaged and while it is a bit harder and lighter due to the antimony content, I think it will work just fine [ Invalid Attachment ] . The lead balls measured .351" and weighed 65.1gr and the buck .3505" and 63.6gr. The attached photo shows the unscientific experiment where I wacked each ball with a brass hammer with about the same amount of force. Buck comes in a 5# box, so I saved $5/100 by buying that instead of the pure lead, plus, if my numbers are right, got about 35 extra balls to shoot.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Unscientific .36 cal experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 07:29:37 PM »
Love that.  I'll keep this in mind when I buy my.36
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 07:32:40 PM »
I remember shooting something like that in my first .36 cal revolver, much less expensive than buying lead ball.
It kinda makes one wish they made buckshot in .535 diameter, not to mention .600 and .715.  Would save me lots of time casting ball, for sure.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:00:46 AM »
Yep, I would like to find a source for less costly .715's too. Casting is something I did years ago and don't want to mess with it again.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."