Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A look at our TMA Board of Directors  (Read 2526 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
A look at our TMA Board of Directors
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
Some of you are probably wondering why some of your TMA related concerns go unanswered, or, why some of the things you'd like to see happen (within the TMA) fail to gain any traction.

Below,.... I'll attempt to give you an idea of the BOD participation in BOD matters, so you all might better understand what goes on in the Executive Forum.

1st.,.... I'll post the titles of topics/threads, starting at the top of the first page (which is the last page of more than 60 pages).

2nd,.... I'll list the number of "views" for each topic/thread, versus the number of "replies" for each topic/thread.

3rd.,.... I'll list the names of the BOD who gave each topic/thread their due attention, and the names of the BOD who FAILED to offer any comment at all.

Topic,.... "I wonder if",.... started by rollingb
Number of views,.... 21,.... replies,.... 2
Names of those who replied,....
rollingb
Two Steps

Names of those BOD who failed to offer any input,....
Ohio Joe
sse
Riley/MN
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20
prairie dog

Topic,.... "Attention on deck!",.... started by rollingb
Number of of views,.... 42,.... replies 8
rollingb
Ohio Joe
Two Steps
prairaie dog
Darren Haverstick
Uncle Russ

sse
Riley/MN
nobber
Lonewolfe20

Topic,.... "Raffle",.... started by rollingb
Number of of views,.... 30,.... replies 2
rollingb
Two Steps

Ohio Joe
sse
Riley/MN
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20
prairie dog

Topic,.... "TMA website due for renewal",.... started by RobD
Number of of views,.... 27,.... replies 5
RobD
Two Steps
nobber
prairie dog
Ohio Joe
Riley/MN

rollingb
Ohio Joe
sse
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20

Topic,.... "TMA Ledger for April 2020",.... started by RobD
Number of of views,.... 13,.... replies 2
rollingb
Two Steps

Ohio Joe
sse
Riley/MN
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20
prairie dog

Topic,.... "TMA Contributing Members",.... started by RobD
Number of of views,.... 40,.... replies 13
rollingb
RobD

Two Steps
Ohio Joe
sse
Riley/MN
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20
prairie dog
Two Steps

Topic,.... "TMA Member Profile Record Fixes",.... started by RobD
Number of of views,.... 12,.... replies 1
rollingb

Ohio Joe
Two Steps
sse
Riley/MN
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20
prairie dog

Topic,.... "Complaint from Nessmuk",.... started by rollingb
Number of of views,.... 37,.... replies 6
rollingb
RobD
Riley/MN
Ohio Joe

Two Steps
sse
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20
prairie dog

Topic,.... "new TMA member",.... started by RobD
Number of of views,.... 101,.... replies 26
rollingb
Two Steps
sse
RobD
prairie dog

Ohio Joe
Riley/MN
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20

Topic,.... "Q for Rob re: Sec/Tr duties",.... started by sse
Number of of views,.... 35,.... replies 5
sse
RobD

Ohio Joe
rollingb
Riley/MN
nobber
Darren Haverstick
Lonewolfe20
prairie dog

End OF First Page

NOTE:,.... one board member, Lonewolfe20,.... hasn't logged in to the TMA website since mid-January 2020, which is in direct violation to our TMA By-Laws due to BOD non-participation, and you might also pick up on a couple of other "patterns" of BOD behavior (if you look carefully).

Uncle Russ, RobD, and I,.... have officially resigned our positions on the BOD, however due to our TMA "founder" status, Russ and I still have access to the Executive Forum, as well as our privilege to vote under that "TMA founder-status" in all decisions that are made by the BOD.
Darren Haverstick,.... has graciously volunteered to take over as our new TMA Sec/Treas., and I hope he uses the same system that RobD has perfected.  :bl th up :pray:
Spotted Bull,.... has volunteered to join the TMA BOD, and I sincerely hope the BOD moves on his acceptance in a timely manner.

On another note,.... the TMA is always looking for active BOD members, so if you're a TMA member (in good standing), and have the time to actively participate in BOD discussions/matters, PLEASE DON'T BE SHY, and step forward.
  :bl th up

Thank you all!
YMHS,
rollingb

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
Re: A look at our TMA Board of Directors
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
I will step out of the way to make room for someone who is up to your expectations.  Therefore, I resign my position as a member of the board of directors.  I wish you well.

Steve
Steve Sells

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »
I will step out of the way to make room for someone who is up to your expectations.  Therefore, I resign my position as a member of the board of directors.  I wish you well.

Steve

I will be right behind you Steve after the 2020 Postal Match Season is over.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
Gentlemen, I'm not a BOD member, and I cant put words in anyone's mouth. But I feel like the intent wasn't to cause men to resign their positions. But rather to cause a rededication the making the TMA great again. At least that is my hope. So please staying your positions.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 02:48:26 PM »
Bull, this was my last year as National Match Director regardless of this post above, and my membership is up in September 2020 I do believe.

It probably is time for new blood, and a good time for me to move on and not be tied this computer (which I truly hate)...

:shake

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »

Steve

Steve,.... it's not about "my expectations", but about actively doing one's duty as a board member who volunteered for the position.

Having said that,.... you are new to the TMA BOD,... so,... imagine if you will, how a National Association's BOD should properly conduct themselves behind closed doors.
No organization can survive for long, if their BOD's sit quietly back while waiting for things to happen out of the clear blue sky.
An organization's effective BOD, should be "movers and shakers" who are willing to go the extra mile for the organization they work for.
I hope you'll reconsider your resignation, and hit the "re-start button" to give things another try,.... you can always resign later if you don't find being a TMA board member is your "cup of tea".  :shake

Joe,.... you have put a LOT OF EFFORT into running the TMA Postal Shoots, something I've not thanked you for enough (which is my failing),....I hope you'll reconsider your resignation also.  :shake
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 03:13:46 PM »
Gentlemen, I'm not a BOD member, and I cant put words in anyone's mouth. But I feel like the intent wasn't to cause men to resign their positions. But rather to cause a rededication to making the TMA great again. At least that is my hope. So please staying your positions.

David,.... that was my primary goal when starting this thread!  :shake :bl th up   
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »

Steve

Steve,.... it's not about "my expectations", but about actively doing one's duty as a board member who volunteered for the position.

Having said that,.... you are new to the TMA BOD,... so,... imagine if you will, how a National Association's BOD should properly conduct themselves behind closed doors.
No organization can survive for long, if their BOD's sit quietly back while waiting for things to happen out of the clear blue sky.
An organization's effective BOD, should be "movers and shakers" who are willing to go the extra mile for the organization they work for.
I hope you'll reconsider your resignation, and hit the "re-start button" to give things another try,.... you can always resign later if you don't find being a TMA board member is your "cup of tea".  :shake

Joe,.... you have put a LOT OF EFFORT into running the TMA Postal Shoots, something I've not thanked you for enough (which is my failing),....I hope you'll reconsider your resignation also.  :shake

No, this is my last year... I mentioned this earlier in the year that this would be my last go round as NMD. I've not changed my mind on this... Four years is enough.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
A look at our TMA Board of Directors
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »
I am not a board member, but I am a sustaining member. I'd like to make a few remarks.

First, I understand this post was about motivating board members to be more active. On its face, though, seeing people called out in public is a bit awkward.

It also highlights another issue: the future of the TMA. It is obvious to anyone spending time on this forum the TMA has a core group of dedicated people, motivated by their love of the hobby. What I don't see, though, is anything that will grow, or even sustain, this organization long term.

Now I know it's a Catch 22. We need to grow the organization so we can grow the organization. But like any other group, that involves two challenges- how do we make ourselves known to attract people, and what do we offer to make membership attractive? Clearly it has to be something beyond an internet forum and a bumper sticker.

Taking the second challenge first: do we publish a newsletter? Online/email only, as print and postage is expensive. Should we build an online library of books and resources, perhaps some public, some members only, aimed at the history and heritage, not just of muzzleloaders but the times and places they were used (wars, hunting, eras, etc). Perhaps build a virtual museum?

As for making ourselves known, once we have something worth advertising, then we can market it. BP shoots, trade fairs, living history events, etc. Maybe even sponsor ads on Facebook.

I know it's easy to throw these ideas out there. I an certainly willing to help any way I can. My experience in this hobby is very limited, though, and being in the northeast is also a hindrance. But I feel I need to at least speak up, and see if this parched sapling called the TMA can grow into a mighty oak.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »
All the issues you bring up are very valid. It's also something that, I'm sure, the BOD has wracked their collective brains to find answers to. At this point, not many ideas are bad ideas. I'm also sure that they will take it under advisement.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
I am not a board member, but I am a sustaining member. I'd like to make a few remarks.

First, I understand this post was about motivating board members to be more active. On its face, though, seeing people called out in public is a bit awkward.

It also highlights another issue: the future of the TMA. It is obvious to anyone spending time on this forum the TMA has a core group of dedicated people, motivated by their love of the hobby. What I don't see, though, is anything that will grow, or even sustain, this organization long term.

Now I know it's a Catch 22. We need to grow the organization so we can grow the organization. But like any other group, that involves two challenges- how do we make ourselves known to attract people, and what do we offer to make membership attractive? Clearly it has to be something beyond an internet forum and a bumper sticker.

Taking the second challenge first: do we publish a newsletter? Online/email only, as print and postage is expensive. Should we build an online library of books and resources, perhaps some public, some members only, aimed at the history and heritage, not just of muzzleloaders but the times and places they were used (wars, hunting, eras, etc). Perhaps build a virtual museum?

As for making ourselves known, once we have something worth advertising, then we can market it. BP shoots, trade fairs, living history events, etc. Maybe even sponsor ads on Facebook.

I know it's easy to throw these ideas out there. I an certainly willing to help any way I can. My experience in this hobby is very limited, though, and being in the northeast is also a hindrance. But I feel I need to at least speak up, and see if this parched sapling called the TMA can grow into a mighty oak.

Good words, Sir

Respectfully,  Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »
All the issues you bring up are very valid. It's also something that, I'm sure, the BOD has wracked their collective brains to find answers to. At this point, not many ideas are bad ideas. I'm also sure that they will take it under advisement.

Spotted Bull,.... You can say that again!  :hairy

We've advertised in Muzzleloader Magazine (several different years), put on several different TYPES of raffles over the years, we done yearly Christmas Exchanges, managed to keep our membership dues VERY LOW (when compared to other national organizations), done Youth Grants, and our National Match Director (Ohio Joe) has run great Postal Shoots (for the last 4 years). And all this is just off the top of my head as to the things we've tried/done.  :bl th up

At one time, I even offered the TMA BOD,.... 20 acres of land for FREE, so the TMA could have a centrally located place only about 45 miles from the Geographical Center of the US for yearly shoots and rendezvous (sadly my offer went unaccepted and has since been withdrawn).

As a TMA "founder",.... I'm OPEN To ALL IDEAS our members have to offer, and I can guarantee that the TMA BOD would also like to hear any/all ideas from our TMA membership. I can't guarantee everyone's ideas will get implemented, but our ears are ALWAYS OPEN.  :bl th up

TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Spotted Bull

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 08:12:53 PM »
Being a bibliophile I like the idea of a virtual library. That may be something I work on myself.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 05:00:30 PM »
wouldn't wanna take this report card home to ma, worst i ever got... :Doh!
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
I would like to say thank you to all that keep this forum going. I know what it takes to do so. It is difficult to juggle this, family hobbies and health. Thank you. Al others be patience with the BoD.
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud