Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: wedge tents..1 or 2 doors??  (Read 1140 times)

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
wedge tents..1 or 2 doors??
« on: February 27, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
When I started as a mountaineer, I used what I could for information (70's) to build my persona. I have come along ways to try and do it right. I'm not quite AMM right, but dang close.
      I have been researching the wedge tent. Under many names, the form can be tracked back a long ways. Even AJM has them covered but I have found nothing covering 2 doors. Pro or con. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my oilskin fly, but I'd like to have a wedge handy. One door makes sense. 2 doors in hot weather makes sense. But I want to stay "era"... ugh
     Thoughts or ideas???
Bullet

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: wedge tents..1 or 2 doors??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »
Quote from: "McBullett"
When I started as a mountaineer, I used what I could for information (70's) to build my persona. I have come along ways to try and do it right. I'm not quite AMM right, but dang close.
      I have been researching the wedge tent. Under many names, the form can be tracked back a long ways. Even AJM has them covered but I have found nothing covering 2 doors. Pro or con. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my oilskin fly, but I'd like to have a wedge handy. One door makes sense. 2 doors in hot weather makes sense. But I want to stay "era"... ugh
     Thoughts or ideas???
Bullet
I'm pretty sure "flaps at both ends" of a wedge tent isn't a recent 20th.-21st. century development.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
I agree sir, and raise you that 2 doors allows the tent transformation into several forms. But I can't seem to find viable proof. Some say...pictures (so to speak) or it didn't happen... so I'm asking minds that know :)
Brad

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
Check out this link from the AMM site. Sure looks like a wedge to me. I like the idea of what they did in the left picture. I never thought of that with my wedge.

Planning Camp
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:28:50 AM »
EXACTLY Ohio Joe! I have seen that set up before. I'd sure like clarification before cutting the back out of my tent.
B

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:54:01 AM »
EXACTLY Ohio Joe! I have seen that set up before. I'd sure like clarification before cutting the back out of my tent.
B
If it's "good enough" for the AMM,............  :shake  :rt th

I'm sure the mountaineers often "modified" whatever they wanted to suit their personal tastes, without concern for answerin' to anyone.
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
I agree completely with Rondo on this, more so over the AMM simply because if you'll notice on that picture of the wedge tent, there is canvas screen covers on the left front flap. Not period correct at all, yet acceptable it would appear.

The approach is pretty simple, simplistic, nothing fancy. A wedge tent with no extra frills should past muster easily.  :lt th

Spotted Bull

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »
As an owner of a bell back wedge, without that second door, I'd much rather have that second door to the bell area!

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
You guys definitely give food for thought. I appreciate it! 2 doors gives you a better escape option, although a sharp knife is handier. Gets you a breeze option, although gives a better chance for leakage during bad weather. 2 doors also allows your tent to dry faster. Any AMMers out there? I'd appreciate your thoughts?
B

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »
You guys definitely give food for thought. I appreciate it! 2 doors gives you a better escape option, although a sharp knife is handier. Gets you a breeze option, although gives a better chance for leakage during bad weather. 2 doors also allows your tent to dry faster. Any AMMers out there? I'd appreciate your thoughts?
B

I am a former member of the AMM, and I speak only for myself, even when I was a member, but I guess the answer to your question starts, as so many answers do, with "It depends."
If you are at a juried event and the ground rules clearly state that only documented practices from the time period are acceptable, then good manners dictates complying with those rules. If you don't want to comply, then simply don't go. I have never been to an event like this, but I have been to two AMM nationals, several brigade gatherings and countless party doin's, and I never had anybody come poking around my camp checking up on me. Given the sort of men attracted to the AMM, such a procedure would be particularly perilous to the one doing the checking. Most of us do our best and try to accept that others are doing their best, too, and leave it at that. It is a process, and we all hope to get better over time.
If you are at a less-formal gathering or off by yourself, it matters less what others think and more on what you are trying to accomplish. Some would say only documented practices should be followed, even then, but I do not believe most people back then spent much time writing down their daily activities. Most people were illiterate or barely literate, and just making a living took most of people's time and energy. Much of what they did is lost to history because of that.
I do believe that the frontiersmen and mountain men were highly capable, intelligent and creative problem-solvers, as well as being supremely adaptable. If you employ period-correct tools and technology, and use your own  sense to solve a problem, or adapt to a situation, then I see nothing wrong with that.
Those are my thoughts on the matter, and probably not worth much, but you asked.  :)
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 11:09:26 PM »
I was hoping amm1851 would jump in here!  :lt th

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »
Ohio Joe... I kinda baited him but I was hoping so as well. AMM 1851 your statement is and has been my argument. Dang...almost a quote I may have said. I agree with everything you said, and you and I could have a great campfire discussion :). Adapt and over come so to speak. Deal with the issue with what you have. I appreciate all of your inputs. My wedge will have 2 doors. That leaves adaptability for the use.
Take the high trail..
B

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
My previous personal opinions concerning this topic, are also shared as a former AMM member. FWIW
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
My previous personal opinions concerning this topic, are also shared as a former AMM member. FWIW

I was almost certain and a thinkin' you were AMM, Rondo.  :toast

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
And.. my thanks to you sir!  I won't lie.. I had to look up FWIW  :Doh!

Brad