Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Couple of CVA's  (Read 496 times)

Spotted Bull

Couple of CVA's
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:30:07 PM »
I was entrusted with the care of a couple of older model CVA rifles. I am told that one was a kit from the 80's and is in pretty nice shape.

The other is, I suppose, in the style of a mountain rifle with the two wedges holding the barrel on, and there are some inlays that look like bone or horn. I will try to get pics if anyone is interested.

What I really want to know is, is there a list of serial numbers that will tell me the date of manufacture for these rifles? I'm just kinda curious...so far I haven't talked the feller out of them!

Also, and I haven't torn it down to take a look-see yet, but the old CVA also has a lock and/or problem. The lock will only hold on half and full cock if the set trigger is pulled first. Can this be easily corrected?

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Couple of CVA's
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
Quote from: "Spotted Bull"
The lock will only hold on half and full cock if the set trigger is pulled first. Can this be easily corrected?

Had a similar issue with my CVA Hawken. IIRC, check the sear spring. May need to be replaced.

Mario

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
Quote from: "Spotted Bull"
Also, and I haven't torn it down to take a look-see yet, but the old CVA also has a lock and/or problem. The lock will only hold on half and full cock if the set trigger is pulled first. Can this be easily corrected?

Maybe - Might have to play with the trigger "depth"/tang screw tightness....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »

yes and no .
 it depends on if you have a hunting style double set or a target style double set .
 CVA through the years used both .
 if its a target set , then Nope  the only thing you can do is replace the  trigger set .
 if its a hunting double set , then the trigger should allow you to  fire the lock  no mater if the trigger is set or unset .

easy way to find out is to pull the lock . look into the sear hole while squeezing the front trigger . If you see the trigger bar move up  while pulling the front trigger then you have the hunting double set and your problem is most likely that the triggers are inlet to deep . Thus the rear trigger bar will not let the sear engage tell  it has been set .
 To fix that you need to drop the triggers alittle and some times file the rear trigger bar down so that  you can cock the lock . Remember the rear trigger bar cannot touch the sear  when cocked , it has to slap the sear