Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: pop goes the horn  (Read 766 times)

Offline ross

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 786
pop goes the horn
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »
I was reading some old posts, lots of info there. After reading about the horn that exploded on the firing line I thought that I'd post the 2 occaisions that I know off. First, Buster Warinski of knife making fame was grinding down a large steel nut that was inlet into the base plug of a powder horn for a mutual friend. The nut and bolt was to be made into a "rapid fill" gizmo for the horn. Well our buddy didn't mention that the horn had been previously filled and emptied. The largest piece found was like half a popscicle stick. The nut was never found and buster did get hurt, burns and slivers.

The second episode was at ronnyvu. We were all sitting round a fire when my friends tipi rose about 3 feet into the air. Then smoke started coming out of the door, top, and bottom. At first it was hilarious, then Matthew came walking out of the tipi wiping his eyes and coughing. He was completly covered in soot, smoke and ashes. He had bent over the fire pit in the tipi to start a fire and the stopper was out of the horn. The powder spilled and the flame climbed up the powder spill and ignited the horn. Matt was unhurt except for his pride. Only a small red spot. Luckily he had his leather coat on and it saved him. He got named that night, "Blackie".
 These are infrequent accidents, but they do happen, so we must be careful.
Ross

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: pop goes the horn
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
Stuff like that just makes me quiver.
Using iron/steel parts on a powder horn is kinda asking for problems, I would think.  Besides, doncha think that nut and bolt would look kinda hinky?  There are some manufacturers of brass pieces made just for that purpose.  Why not use them?
As far as the unplugged horn, pure operator error.
However, I am surely glad to hear that there was no serious damage to anyone involved.  Would think that a good practice would be to remove your horn and set it a ways away before working on a fire, whether or not the horn is plugged.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:00:18 AM »
Ross,.... thank you for the stories,... may they serve as a "warning" for those new to this sport, as well as a "reminder" for the more experienced.  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline rdstrain49

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:41:49 AM »
Hind sight is always 20-20.  Keep your head in the game.

Offline ross

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 786
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 06:07:11 PM »
Right on guys, that's why I posted.